Anyone towing a Tab 400 with a Nissan Frontier 4x4 crew cab with tow package?

lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 861
I have a Tab 320S now and tows like it's not even back there.  Possibly looking at a Tab 400.  How does the 400 tow for you?  I do not need a sway bar for the Tab 320S  never had sway even with big rigs passing or windy conditions.  
2018 Tab 400
2016 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab

Comments

• BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 322
    The 400 tows steady and straight but catches a ton of air. Initially we towed with a VW Touareg, but moved to a Ford F150 PU for more HP, torque, and storage space. Never have needed a sway bar or weight distribution hitch.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • HammickHammick Member Posts: 80
    I highly recommend the Anderson WDH.  I towed our AVIA from Kansas City to Red Lodge, Montana with our '16 Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel.  I was really worried about the Grand Cherokee being close to maxed out.  It performed fantastic with the Anderson properly dialed in.

If you get one torque those chains so your Frontier has no more than 1" of squat and I think you will find the Frotnier pulls it just fine.  The less squat the better the anti sway will work.
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,078
    Don't have a Frontier but tow our 400 with a Titan and it tows great.  No need for WDH at all.  The Frontier should have plenty of hp and torque to tow a 400.  You'll need to watch your tongue weight and sag.  I'm not sure what your max tongue weight is but I'm sure you would be fine.  Our 2021 400 has a tongue weight of somewhere from 380-400lbs and a loaded weight, with empty water tanks, of about 3100lbs.  I did add some Road Active Suspension (RAS) and sumo springs to our Titan since I have a camper/topper on it that weighs about 400lbs.  It does an amazing job with eliminating sag.  If you have any sag or want to carry more in the bed I would recommend it.  Takes just a few minutes to install and rides great when loaded or unloaded.   I'm not a fan of WDH as they can put tremendous strain on the trailer and vehicle frames under certain conditions.   Your truck may be fine with some sumo springs and or some RAS.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • BrianRBrianR Member Posts: 21
    What model Frontier? I had a 2018 Pro4X and the payload was only 880lbs. With a tongue weight of 400lbs and a couple of passengers you aren't left with much leeway. 
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 861
    bump--anyone else towing with a Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 with tow package?
    2018 Tab 400
    edited June 6
    BrianR said:
    What model Frontier? I had a 2018 Pro4X and the payload was only 880lbs. With a tongue weight of 400lbs and a couple of passengers you aren't left with much leeway. 
    We have to be  talking two completely different configurations.  Max tow rating on Frontier that I showed above--2016 Frontier SV 4x4 crew cab with tow package with larger tranny cooler is somewhere between 6,300 and 6,500 and payload of 1,500 lbs--information directly from Nissan. I now tow my Tab320S in Colorado mountains a lot, and I do not even know it is back there, and with the overdrive button "Off" it never goes above 3,500 RPM even on steep, long climbs.
    2018 Tab 400
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,078
    Easiest way to confirm your specific trucks payload is to look at the sticker on the drivers door frame.  Frontiers can can have a payload anywhere from about 900lbs to about 1400lbs depending on options.  I don't think your truck will have any issues with the towing capacity but payload and tongue weight are other things you'll want to consider.  I know people tow the 400 with Tacomas and have no complaints.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,321
    We have sumo springs and use a friction anti-sway bar. The springs work great and eliminate sag. I feel the friction sway anti-sway bar is more of an insurance policy but we have had a couple of instances of sway but I was probably driving too fast. We have a 2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
    We have sumo springs and use a friction anti-sway bar. The springs work great and eliminate sag. I feel the friction sway anti-sway bar is more of an insurance policy but we have had a couple of instances of sway but I was probably driving too fast. We have a 2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road.
    Thanks  for the info— if I move up to a Tab 400 will definitely get the Sumo Springs— I really like my truck & how it handles & tows 
    2018 Tab 400
  • BrianRBrianR Member Posts: 21
    lkc001 said:
    BrianR said:
    We have to be  talking two completely different configurations.  Max tow rating on Frontier that I showed above--2016 Frontier SV 4x4 crew cab with tow package with larger tranny cooler is somewhere between 6,300 and 6,500 and payload of 1,500 lbs--information directly from Nissan. I now tow my Tab320S in Colorado mountains a lot, and I do not even know it is back there, and with the overdrive button "Off" it never goes above 3,500 RPM even on steep, long climbs.
    Like someone else mentioned, Frontiers have a lot of different configurations. I didn't have a trailer when I bought my truck so didn't pay attention to payload capacity. Once we bought the camper I educated myself and I was surprised at the differences. The truck has loads of power and the transmission handles towing without any issues. Mine just had a very low payload(door sticker) and needed/wanted an upgrade.