Options

Awning, Trailer Tent or Visor???

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Neither of those door stops work with the large Visor - You just can't get the door wide open, to hook it, it's restricted by the visor.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Waiting PATIENTLY (less and less every day) for my visor to arrive so I can try your stakes PXL.  
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    You'll want to do my tie-down mods first - there's pics somewhere on the forum.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Yep, saw those too...those too...stakes, right angles to the ground...waiting...waiting...
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Love the stakes idea, PXL!  I have a bag awning mounted on my T@DA that has supports that hook into the side of the trailer, which then block the door from opening fully beyond straight out.  Looks like a great solution!
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2015
    bgualtieri, that gizmo came from the factory on our Tab (2014)... What year is yours?

But you're right, when the door is held open that wide, it blocks the fridge vent. I haven't tried it yet with the new fan system though, so I don't know about that. It keeps the door out about 6" from the vent.

But as PXL sez, the door pushes against the visor (and tent) when wide open. I'd like to devise a long rod to extend the existing 'door holder open' device that 2canoe shows.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    edited September 2015
    Chan -- I have a 2015 (May) and my door holder is the same as the one cbarnhill shows in her picture above. Actually I think we got our rigs within a few days of each other at the same dealer. So there is a holder gizmo, but it holds the door all the way wide open flat against the side wall. I was noticing that what 2canoe pictured held the door out from the wall a few inches. It's not a biggie, I just thought it looked cool.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, it does help with the fridge venting, but without the vent fan system, it retarded the air circulation too much.

I don't see how the fridge would vent at all with the door against the wall. I'd see if Little Guy will provide you with the earlier version.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    You can get those door brackets at most RV places - When I passed through Quartzite last winter they had them in 2-3 different lengths. Unfortunately, none long enough to hold the door out far enough to accommodate the visor. Hence the stakes.
  • Options
    Thanks PXL. We don't have a visor since we use a little pop up that we can move around to wherever the shade is. We will keep it in mind if we do get one.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I love my Visor XL.  It worked wonderfully for 3 weeks of camping in July.  I'll save the T@B Tent for the other 3 seasons:  Fall to keep the yellow jackets out and maybe a space heater, also; Winter to keep those cool winds out and to have a space heater; and Spring to keep the rain out and the heat in.  I think the T@B Tent would be rather restrictive in the summer, unless it was really rainy weather.  My opinion, yours may vary. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sandra - No way. Period :-)
  • Options
    I'll place a bet right now :-)
  • Options
    Ha ha. I'm still saving for the cover. Poor little T@b was out in the haboobs in August, I've got to at least cover her befor it gets cold here in the desert southwest.
  • Options
    Cat_913Cat_913 Member Posts: 56
    I have the cover and am in the third week of waiting for my XL Visor. Wish it would hurry up and get here, but I know I have several week to go.
  • Options
    2canoe2canoe Member Posts: 74
    Decision made.  PahaQue sent out an email with some clearance and close out items.  I was able to get a 12x12 screen room for a very reasonable price--i cant resist a deal.  I'll let you know how it works out.  My xl visor will get here Saturday.  I was able to get it in gold--yeah.
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    Hmmm. Seems Sandra might be onto something. 2canoe, you might just have to get it over with and get the small visor and awning now, too...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Pxlated: your solution won't work with my type of door setup, will it? ( see my pic above). When u get a chance, would love too see your stake solution. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    cbarnhill - Looks like you have the same door/hinges so ya, the stakes in the hinges would work.
  • Options
    2canoe2canoe Member Posts: 74
    ChanW said:
    Hmmm. Seems Sandra might be onto something. 2canoe, you might just have to get it over with and get the small visor and awning now, too...
    I'm hoping our rule for buying new things will slow me down.  We try not to add anything that doesn't have at least two uses.
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    Pepsi22Pepsi22 Member Posts: 23
    I am picking mine up this Thursday and have decided to just go with the Visor XL for now. Will probably invest in the Clam Outdoors Pavilion. Easy to set up for one person by just popping out the sides. The large one comes with roll down sides. All have an oversized bag so getting it back in the bag is not a struggle. I have noticed that some campsites are narrow and this would allow you to place tent where needed, side or back. 
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I now have a Thermarest Awning, the XL Visor, and an EZ-Up setup that creates a huge covered space. Depending on the trip, all three have their uses. Although, i'm thinking the Thermarest is going to get used less and less. The visor did very well last weekend even with lots of rain. I stake it out instead of tying it to the T@B.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Pepsi22 said:
    I am picking mine up this Thursday and have decided to just go with the Visor XL for now. Will probably invest in the Clam Outdoors Pavilion. Easy to set up for one person by just popping out the sides. The large one comes with roll down sides. All have an oversized bag so getting it back in the bag is not a struggle. I have noticed that some campsites are narrow and this would allow you to place tent where needed, side or back. 
    I like these pop up enclosures. And looking at the site even the small one can be ordered with the wind/rain flaps! I might also get the XL visor (and use PXL's tie down recommendations) and get one of these. Will only need a ladder to pop the interior middle part up but sure looks easy for a solo traveler. Thanks for posting. I'd never heard of these. 
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    pprater123pprater123 Member Posts: 6
    I went the tent route.  Need more space for family members.  I have used my tent 3 times.  This past weekend  was a disaster.   We had a steady rain.  No matter how many times we tighten it the top of the tent pooled the rain  and it started dripping in in the middle of the night.  When we dried it out the guide pole in the front fell apart.  Disappointed  that this happened  with just three weekend uses especially since the cost of the tent was almost 800. 
  • Options
    sranderlesranderle Member Posts: 78
    CCPICC, do you have any pictures showing the folded over rope seam that you made?  I'm planning on doing this next week for our next trip.

Steve & Sherry
    2016 T@b Q
    Lakeville, MN
  • Options
    HappyCamperHappyCamper Member Posts: 29
    Hey, all!  Just got our Visor XL.  Went up without a hitch after all of the insight!  However, it appears 'big'.... Maybe a little too long   Pulled it this way and that, but could not get it smooth and snug tight.... Seems like a longer rod would help.  Has anyone else had this problem and if so, is there a trick?  
  • Options
    Haven't had a problem other than I had to take it down tonight because of these unsuferable winds in Utah, Nevada, and Arizona. can ya tell I'm sick of 30-40 mph gusty winds.
    Ya got a pic so we can see what you're talking about?
  • Options
    TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
    edited November 2015
    vito said:
    I can't speak from experience, but having just ordered a new Tab, we included the tent in the order. My wife was afraid that in bad weather she would go crazy in the very limited space inside the T@b, plus the plan is to set up a small table and chairs in the tent and leave the bed open most/all of the time. Even though a new T@b seems pretty pricey for the size, we previously thought our only alternative to buying a new tow vehicle would be to get a new motorhome, so when we discovered the T@b it seemed like an overall bargain, even with the fancy interior of the Sofitel package and the extra cost of the tent attachment.

Funny.  We did the same thing.  We bought a new 2016 Subaru Outback a couple of months back and the T@B CS-S Max two weeks ago. The tent is on order.  It should give us depth so that I don't go crazy. We are off to experience some rain in the maiden voyage of our new camper next week. Wish us luck! 
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    edited November 2015
    Hey @HappyCamper  We got a new Visor XL too. Used it two days so far. And yeah, it'll require a little tweaking. Mostly with the tension lines for me. I stake them into the ground but I see where some locate them in the bottom Keder rail or even tied to the stabilizer legs.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S