Options

Awning, Trailer Tent or Visor???

We're trying to decide which awning type device to get for our new T@B. The trailer tent is expensive and seems a bit overkill, the awning may be okay but looks a little like a tunnel in the pictures and the visors look like they may not provide enough protection. If anyone has any comments on what they chose and what they like about it I'd love to hear. We've asked for an awning because it's what the shop had in stock but I'm actually thinking the Visor XL would be the best for ease of use and simplicity.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Really like my awning.  Sides can roll up to make it more open. Really waterproof area to put "things" under to keep dew away. Provide privacy. Easy to use. Can't ask for more. 
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    No reason to rush a decision, camp for awhile and you will figure out what you need or want.  Val and I went with the full awning and just like everyone else with whatever type they selected, we love it.  
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yep, hard to make all decisions ahead of time.
    Patti - I believe you can order the Paha Que in any colors you want, not just what they show since they're custom made. At least my dealer asked what colors I wanted
  • Options
    Trum@nTrum@n Member Posts: 34
    That is true all of them are grey with trim to match all of the t@b trim colors.
  • Options
    meklofmeklof Member Posts: 14
    We felt that the awning made the inside too dark, and so we went for the smaller visor. It defines the 'the living room' space outside the front door and gives you protection from the sun and takes only minutes to put up by one person. We mostly camp at State Parks with plenty of foliage between sites and do not need side cover for privacy. We also usually only camp over long weekends, so the quicker the setup/take down, the more time we have to enjoy our T@B and the outdoors.
    Happy trails
    Michael & Claudia T@B -Q 2006 
    San Rafael, CA
  • Options
    With the large Visor, I can get either two chairs or one chair with side table under the visor without blocking the door. And a few items protected from rain, etc behind the chairs.
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    PXL - do you think it's possible to use awning clips of some kind to add some "side walls" to the XL visor? I've had a discussion with Wanderoo about the awning (which I really like) but understand getting the last pole in the grommet might be tough (considering my hand arthritis). Think I can handle the XL visor but would like more "side protection" from the rain. Decisions, decisions!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Michele - There are clips that you can clamp around the pole - I bought some at Walmart and use them to hold the Visor at the ends so it won't slide (I attach those to the corner handles with ball bunnies) anf I use two for my tie-down straps (I don't use the whimpy ones that came with it - There's pics of this in one of the threads about visors. So, yes, you could use these clips to add some sidewalls - BUT, the visor is curved  both out from the T@B and up so fabricating sidewalls that fit would be tricky I'd think
  • Options
    Should add that getting the poles slid into the Visor slots can be tricky until you get the system down and find what works for you - because of wind, I haven't had the Visor attached for a month but I think I found that getting it to lay back on the roof once I had half the polls in made getting the rest in easier. Then pulling it down and strapping it. - But don't hold me to that technique:-)
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    edited May 2015
    Thanks PXL - I had viewed your new setup for securing the visor in wind (and made a note of those items). I see now how fabricating side walls might be more hassle than its worth.  May just get the awning and as I told Beth, worse case scenario I'd sell it. Perhaps I have enough oomph in me yet to work those poles!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Patti, I'd definitely wait if you are unsure.  I wasted more money on tents and awnings and found that I rarely wanted to deal with them.  I like to keep it simple.  My thinking is like yours in that I bought a trailer to get away from setting up and tearing down a tent.  Since you have the inside of the T@B in which to retreat in the event of bad weather, it becomes less necessary to have an awning or tent.  Just my two cents.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2015
    We've found the add-a-room tent most useful for winter camping. A good place for coats & gear & dog. It's an excellent escape in the rain, and from the bugs too.

Tab can get a little crowded with the big dog...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I'm in the Lisa camp - keep it simple and quick.
    I do have the lrg Visor and it's a relatively quick/simple set up - A lot depends on what type of camping one does and for how long in one spot. I marvel at how much stuff people haul along and set up for just a weekend. Seems like a lot of work for such a short stay. Even though the Visor is quick, I usually don't deploy it for my short 1-2 day setups.
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Tell me ChanW. Wecamp with a 95 lb Bouvier and a 12 lb poodle.  Poodle not an issue. Bouvier takes up ALL extra space. Putting slats in soon so with table gone will have more room.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    I think for one person and no big pets the no awning approach works well.

I know for Val and me the T@B gets real tiny in a hurry with both of us inside so the full awning is a must especially in bad weather because it becomes a separate room and more than doubles the protected living space.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If it were for myself and my Shih Tzu, I would have a visor and use it as PXLated has used his with the straps to the pegs in the ground. But, like PXLated, I wouldn't use it every night--just when raining or maybe for simple sun protection.

But, if there was 4" to 8" of rain forecasted, as there was in AZ in early February, I would be putting up a T@B tent just to have more space because it sure was too bad of weather to do any sightseeing.  I can't see the T@B tent being used every night, but it appears, according to those in the know, that the visor is very easy to attach and remove. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    When it's rain, rain, rain, cabin fever can sure set in - My solution was to break camp when it let up (easy to do with nothing deployed) and find some new scenery - even though it was mostly out the windows it made a big difference.
  • Options
    nukesulnukesul Member Posts: 4

Thanks for all the opinions. I have to admit it's tempting to go with nothing since simplicity is definitely worthwhile. I like some sort of an awning mostly to keep dirty shoes and cooking items outside and dry. When I'm camping I rarely go inside except to sleep. There is no way I'll even consider a separate screen room. I've had them and never liked setting them up.

Guess we'll likely go with an awning since that's what the local dealer has in stock. If they had a visor XL then that would likely be my 1st choice.

Cheers

• Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    I can't speak from experience, but having just ordered a new Tab, we included the tent in the order. My wife was afraid that in bad weather she would go crazy in the very limited space inside the T@b, plus the plan is to set up a small table and chairs in the tent and leave the bed open most/all of the time. Even though a new T@b seems pretty pricey for the size, we previously thought our only alternative to buying a new tow vehicle would be to get a new motorhome, so when we discovered the T@b it seemed like an overall bargain, even with the fancy interior of the Sofitel package and the extra cost of the tent attachment. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited May 2015
    I opted for the tent. It wasn't hard for me to put up, but I am leery of bungie-corded folding tent poles. The one for the T@B tent is very long. I chose the tent because it has a floor (although I put a small tarp underneath to prevent holes).

With that said, it was wonderful to have when the mosquitoes started to try to take me away en masse and to keep them from getting into the T@B itself (still got a few gnats, but not many). It rained the 2nd night and next day and it was wonderful to have someplace to sit and visit with people; however, it had to be taken down and put away wet. Not a problem to dry it on the front porch of the house, but could be problematic for someone like PX. It took a while to dry. 

For something as big as the tent, it squished in the carrying bag pretty nicely. One other caveat, the skirt that covers the bottom of the trailer also covers the pull out step. You'll need an alternative way to step into the T@B or leave the skirt up in that spot (allowing bugs in). 

Cheers!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I have both the Visor, the previous Thermarest Awning, and a custom 400sf screen room that goes over the T@B. (Made from EZ-Ups and screen walls) It all depends on what type of trip I'm on. Fair weather short trips, its the visor, rainy short trips, its the awning and a 10x10 EZ-Up over the hatch. Extended trips (1 week or more), I set up my big "living room"
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    Since I camp in full sun, I like the awning to provide shade.  I may get a visor for the other side of the camper.  Or to swap out with the awning, if desired.  Can't decide upon which size to buy.  Also, I found the awning to be incredibly easy for one person to set up and take down.  Quite pleased with it.
  • Options
    2canoe2canoe Member Posts: 74
    We decided to wait on getting the tent and are very glad we did.  In most places we have camped since May it would have been impossible to set the tent up or was not needed.  You need quite a bit of room on that side.  We did order the XL visor and I expect it any day.  We think a free standing screen room might be better for us.  Does anyone have the Paha Que screen room with the solid side that can be zipped down?  It also has a bottom that can be added.  Looks like it would be very versatile.
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    I love my visor-especially for the rain. But the wind keeps blowing the open door against the visor and flips it. Isn't there a "stick" I can insert in the door snaps to keep it open? I have a 2015 max.

Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    Our T@B is a LG 2015 QMAXX.  We have way to hold the door open.  I hope you can see it on the photo.
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    Hey 2canoe. That looks cool. I've worried that keeping the door all the way open would block our (very effective) new fridge fan. That gizmo looks like it would help increase the venting. Where did you get it?
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    When the door is open too wide, it also stretches the Visor material. I took two regular yellow plastic tent stakes and shaved the top width narrower with my Dremel tool and they slide right into the gap and hang on the hinges. Keeps the door roughly straight out. The stakes are packed too deep at the moment or I'd take a pic.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Cool.  Thanks
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Hey 2canoe. That looks cool. I've worried that keeping the door all the way open would block our (very effective) new fridge fan. That gizmo looks like it would help increase the venting. Where did you get it?
    Our T@B came with that door stop.  I might try PXLated's stake idea a.  Have to see how the visor fits.
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max