Options

Zamp solar panel requirements to operate AC, fridge and TV

What size Zamp solar panel is needed to run AC, Fridge and TV? Will 150W do? 

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited September 2015
    AC needs 110v, solar is all 12v/battery current. I think someone was set up to run air via battery/inverter but they had tons of solar/battery and a large inverter. Air (AC) generally needs either shore power or a 2000w generator.
    I don't have the media package so no TV but my 120w runs the fridge, Alde and keeps the battery charged just fine. However, it seems the current recommendation is 200w as it gives you a better margin. But, it's not just solar size, it's solar plus battery size. When I got mine, 120 was the largest you could get. My battery is just the standard 24. If I was going to upgrade, I'd up the battery before the solar.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Pepsi22 said:
    What size Zamp solar panel is needed to run AC, Fridge and TV? Will 150W do? 
    What kind of battery capacity do you have, in terms of amp hours? A 100ah battery won't give you much use. What kind of fridge do you have? I am guessing the three way fridge? If you have a 3 way fridge, please read this thread.
    I have created a power consumption worksheet to help create a "budget" of sorts. How much you can use your devices will depend on your battery capacity and your solar charge rate.
    Here are some threads with information you should read:

Battery Life and Maintenance
    Golf Cart Battery Setup
    Solar Gurus
    Too Much Solar?
    Refrigerator
    Solar Power 101

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Pepsi22Pepsi22 Member Posts: 23
    Perhaps, be better to go with Yamaha 2000 gas-powered generator at $869.00.
  • Options
    Yes, if you want to run the AC, you'll need either shore power or a generator. I have both a Honda 2000i and 120w solar. The solar is my everyday go to source, the generator only comes out for rainy days or if I need the air conditioning. The problem with running the generator for air is you only get roughly 8 hrs per gallon so you need to carry a bunch of gas to run the air for long periods. I carry just two gallons so if I needed air for long periods, I would head to a campground with hookups so I could run it off their AC outlet.
    If you don't need the air conditioning, solar is a better choice in my opinion - Keeps the battery charged and everything else in the T@B running.
  • Options
    CanuckTabberCanuckTabber Member Posts: 41
    has anybody investigated the solar powered generators yet?  I would assume the technology just isnt there yet?
  • Options
    Haven't heard of them - Got a link?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    has anybody investigated the solar powered generators yet?  I would assume the technology just isnt there yet?

The only one I've seen a write-up about was towed on a flat bed trailer behind a huge Class A RV.  That one is sort of out of a T@B's league.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    As I understand it, a "solar generator" (as currently marketed) is simply a combo battery / charge controller. It gets charged by connecting a solar panel, generator (or other AC source, or 12v outlet on your car. Probably a convenient package, but still requires external source for power.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    FYI...Honda's load chart, including starting wattages:
    http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/generator-wattage-estimation-guide

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    The other consideration with using a generator for A/C is that many campgrounds only allow their use during limited hours.  Often it'll be a couple of two hour blocks of time in the morning and evening.  Basically, just enough time to keep your batteries charged.  Some campgrounds do not allow generator use at all.  If you want to use a generator for A/C, you'd be pretty much limited to RV parks that cater to big rigs, which would have hookups anyway or boondocking.  Here is Glacier National Park's generator policy, which can be fairly typical of national and state parks campgrounds in general.  I just Googled "generator hours campground." 

Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    Lisa - So far, all the parks I've been in (with the exception of one CA state park) the generator rules have matched the quiet hour rules. But, I've avoided the large/busy National Parks thus far. But I agree, if you need air for extended periods, hookup campgrounds are the thing to look for.
  • Options
    Sandra said:
    Someone mentioned to me recently that if you don't use your generator on a fairly regular basis, that it can 'gum' up and not work properly. Since I don't own one, I can't speak to that. But during a recent power outage at a campground, I sat outside with my two caged birds in the 95 degree temps under the awning waiting for the power trucks to come on site to fix the transformer. I'm just glad that I got back to the T@B shortly after the power went out.

I had a friend who had a large Class A RV.  While she was waiting for a buyer (messy divorce), she had to go to the storage lot to "exercise" the generator every other week.  And, yes, at the phone company, we had to run those 75Kw+ generators once a month to make sure they would work under the load that we put on them. Yup, you do need to check the generators on a regular basis.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    A couple of the campsites in TN that I have checked and Great Smoky Mountain National Parks are mostly 8 am to 8 pm usage. I would just need to use while I hike and the dogs are in the trailer. Not heavy usage. My salesman told me cracking the windows and running the fan creates a great airflow.
  • Options
    Pepsi22 said:
    . My salesman told me cracking the windows and running the fan creates a great airflow.
    It is actually amazing how much cool air comes in with the windows open and running the Fantastic Fan, especially if you are able to get a shaded site.  Make sure your dogs don't mind being in the T@B by themselves.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ELKELK Member Posts: 213
    A little bit of a hijack to check my memory.  You can run these things on battery and/or propane:  fridge, radio, lights, stove, water pump.
    You need to plug in for AC, Television.
    Is that right? given no additional generators etc.
    2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Pepsi22 said:
    . My salesman told me cracking the windows and running the fan creates a great airflow.
    It is actually amazing how much cool air comes in with the windows open and running the Fantastic Fan, especially if you are able to get a shaded site.  Make sure your dogs don't mind being in the T@B by themselves.
    If the outside air is cool. =)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ELK - Air conditioning for sure as it's an AC appliance, they draw a lot of power on startup also. The TV should be a DC (12v) version if you're talking the standard T@B setup so that'd be battery just like the radio.
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    edited September 2015
    Sandra said:
    Someone mentioned to me recently that if you don't use your generator on a fairly regular basis, that it can 'gum' up and not work properly.

I'm in California and have been warned (with supporting pictures) that our gasoline with 10% ethanol gums the carburetor even worse and more quickly.  That's why I bought the Yahama rather than the Honda generator.  The Yahama has a separate fuel shutoff switch so I can run the carburetor dry.  We've been making rather regular trips and using the generator enough that it probably wouldn't be a problem anyway.  But, just in case ...
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    WrossWross Member Posts: 19
    I have a Honda eu2000i. Never had anyone complain as it is so quiet, about as loud as th A/C. You can store it a year between uses with no problem if you let it run completely out of gas. Lasts all night on one tank (about 3/4 gallon)

I have 270w of permanent solar on my T@B, and 100watt on my tow vehicle. I'd need 3x that to run A/C, or about 1kw of PV cells plus 500 AH in batteries. I priced it at about $ 4,000.00 not including my labor

walter
  • Options
    Wross - That'd be very expensive AC :-)
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    I have a Yamaha 2000w generator with a fuel shutoff, so by adding a little Stabil in the gas ( also I use premium gas) for long term storage, I turn the fuel shutoff to off and it runs the carb dry.  Never have starting problems, maybe a couple extra pulls, with the start of the season.
  • Options
    I would assume this is similar to a snow blower or lawnmower. Stabile should do the trick.

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited September 2015
    OK, I'll bite. :giggle: Want to run your A/C off solar?  Here's what you need:

1. Minimum 100 AH battery, to handle the startup surge
    2. 1000W Inverter (with 2000+W surge capability) (ExelTech 1100 would do)
    3. Since the A/C consumes ~500w in continous operation, you probably want 700+ watts of solar.  Let's say 4x 200w Zamp's.  You'd need the extra capacity to recharge the batteries after A/C startup surge and inverter conversion losses.
    4. Wire up all the panels to the battery (yup, this is possible!), wait for full mid-day sunshine, and start 'er up.

OK, back to reality.  We're looking at >$6000 here.  The above scenario would work, yes, but at what cost?  Even if you tried to cheapen out on most of the above, you're still talking several thousand, plus the stuff to haul around.  Hot after dark?  Fugget aboud it!

Just buy a 2000W Yamaha generator from Amazon for $989 (prime, get it next day), and be done with it. :lol: 
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Thanks Wizard1880 - This comes up every once in a while. Nice to know roughly how much solar it would take. Not a practical solution.
  • Options
    We only use no ethanol fuel for small equipment. If you do not use the fuel with a couple weeks, it gets moisture in the tank and engine. 
  • Options
    lazulibuntinglazulibunting Member Posts: 41
    edited September 2015
    Sandra said:
    Someone mentioned to me recently that if you don't use your generator on a fairly regular basis, that it can 'gum' up and not work properly. Since I don't own one, I can't speak to that. But during a recent power outage at a campground, I sat outside with my two caged birds in the 95 degree temps under the awning waiting for the power trucks to come on site to fix the transformer. I'm just glad that I got back to the T@B shortly after the power went out.
    After recently having a repairman fix my 4wheeler, I learned from him that ethanol-free gas is best for small engines. The ethanol in standard gas gums up the needle in the carb, mine was completely frozen up. I now buy ethanol-free in 10 gallon quantities, add Sta-bil, and use it in all my small engines, including my Honda 2000 generator, 4wheeler and yard equipment. It makes a world of difference. 
    Look at http://pure-gas.org/ to find a station near you. Sorry to hijack the solar thread, but this information has made my life so much easier!
    Also, if you be sure to run the engine out of gas before storing, it will help with the goo build up problems. My generator starts up som much easier after sitting unused for a while if I have let it run out of gas rather than turning it off with gas still in the engine.
    Lazuli Bunting from Utah
    2005 Dutchman T@B & 2010 Toyota 4Runner