Room in the garage

DaveincazDaveincaz Member Posts: 14
Lark et al, I have been reading the discussion on squeezing my 2013 Q Max thru the garage door challenge. Went to the Northern tools website to look up the 12 inch rims. Seems like they are generally full wheel kits and I don't want a tire on the rim, right? Wondered which rim you used? So as I understand it I buy the small diameter rim and put them on where the usual tire was just removed from. I don't have an ac vent ontop just the fan cover that seems to about an inch of height on the roof. I have 84 inches of height available. Is it that straight forward? Will be putting it away for the winter and pulling it out 5 months later after the snow melts in April....Appreciate any advice. Would love to have access to the t@b all winter to tinker and dream with in the garage if I could! Thanks, Dave

Comments

• LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    Yeah that's right, no tire on the rim is the way I'm doing it. I see what you mean about the NT site. I basically walked into my local NT and found them on the shelf near the tire/rim combo. I am currently looking into finding the same bolt pattern with a tire/rim combo measuring 12" total circumference. It is very hard to find though! Will let you know my results. The rim set up should work for you if you have 84" clearance. I thought I would never be able to do this but it turned out not that difficult. You must have some cut 2x4's, a good service lift jack, and a impact driver with at least 100ft. lbs of torque or more (mine is rated at 300).
        You must jack at the back of the frame towards the rear of the trailer and not on the axle. I made a "stand" for the first rim I put on. What I mean is when you remove the first wheel and place on the 12" rim, I put my 2x4 built "Stand" underneath the rim and lower the jack slowly. The height of the stand is 3 flat 2x4's high. If you don't do this, you may find it difficult to remove your jack once down. Then I proceed to the other side, jack/remove/put on rim/lower this side to the ground slowly. Then back to the other side, jack/remove stand/lower rim to the ground. Then I unhitch from TV and roll into garage. I know it sounds like a lot of work but I must do this where I live. It is also a bonus to go out and do mods whenever you want and know all is secure.
        I will go and take a picture of my crappy made stand if you want to replicate....it works for me! Talk to you soon.
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • DaveincazDaveincaz Member Posts: 14
    Thank you. Could I do this without buying an impact driver? Ie just using the manual tool (forget name) I would generally use to remove lug nuts when  changing a tire and making surethey are really well tightened? More clarification where on the frame you apply the lift? Thank you again!!!!
    Yes, you can remove lug nuts without an impact driver. I like using them because it is faster and less strenuous. I'll see if I can get you a pic of frame placement.
    These are the 5 hole rims right? Any idea what they cost you? Post a photo if easy!
  • Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199

This is just an idea, have you guys looked in to a set of car dollies?  they should give you the clearance you need and you could skip the rims altogether. they come in a pair for $80.00 bucks at NT, just take off the rims and wheels and set the axle directly on the dollies. This would allow you to roll it in any direction you want since they have castor wheels on them. again this is just an idea, please check for clearance and height first. here is the link to what I am talking about

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578635_200578635

• TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    I asked my mechanic about using dollies with the axle and because of the electric brakes, he advised against it.  I don't know where the brakes would be in relation to the dollie, but maybe someone else does and could indicate whether this would be an option or not.  I was planning to get the smaller rims but will be interested if there is more discussion on this.  
    I am pretty sure I don't have electric brakes on my 2013 qmaxx
    I do have electric brakes on mine, however, I tried the dollies before going with the rims. Dollies work and hold well if you have rubber on them, but if you don't they move too much. The small casters don't roll very well on asphalt or navigate the "BUMP" at the garage opening very well. I almost flipped the trailer off of the dolly! As posted in another post.....Won't do that again! With dollies it is much harder to push into the garage than on rims. Pretty much have the routine down now. Last outage wife came out with items to load the TV and said "Your done already"?
    So based on what I read, I am going to buy a 12" 5 on 4.5 inch rim. And, that if I can find one that is 12" and has a tire on it, there is no reason that shouldnt be a reasonable approach?
    Dave, if you bought a 12" rim and tire combo that would only lower you to 87". Not low enough to get through door. The attached photos are what I have done and explained before. The pic of the garage door control arm must be removed on my set up to clear the top of the T@B.
    Hi Lark, thanks for the response. Can I just clarify? Is the reason the height wouldn't be 84" as you achieved in your first entry of Sept 28 is, that 12" rim and tire does not actually mean it is 12" diameter rather refers only to the rim portion bring 12" diameter, and that with the tire on it would be 12" plus the added diameter caused by the  presence of the tire? Sorry for the simple question....
    Wow??? 

You lost me there, uh... yeah! 12" rims ("NO TIRE") and roll into the garage.
  • sunnysunny Member Posts: 1
    Lark, Base on the steps you provided would the RV fit  under 82 inches of height clearance?
    Lark et al,

So I went into this skeptically, but after your encouragement, bought the 12 inch rims, no tires,  on line  (paint blemished therefore $16 apiece on line, 5 on 4 1/2. Followed all your guidance on this thread and squeezed under my 84 inch limit with an inch to spare! Did take the fan top off with 4 Phillips head screws....now I get to play in the T@b all winter in Syracuse.....

Thanks

Dave!
  • larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    Don't forget to put the wheels with tires back on when you take it out again!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Betting you'd wipe out your gray water valve before the end of the driveway.
  • bubbaluskbubbalusk Member Posts: 3
    Lark,

Love the photo's and instructions... but am left with two questions for you or others who have been succesful with tucking thier t@b into the 84" garage.

1) how much clearance below the t@b is there using the 12in rims?
    2) could you post the dimensions for your "stand" (3 2x4's on top of each other)

I am contemplating using a 10in rim (instead of 12) hoping to give me a tad bit more clearance at the top, but not scraping off the bottom. I have a 2016 Max S model which has the Air Conditioning exhaust stack on top of the roof. It is approx 2 1/2 inches above the roof, and appears to be about 1/4 inch taller than the vent cover. So, removing the vent cover does me no good with the stack still a factor.

Also, could you post how your stand is placed under the rim? It appears to "cradle" the rim (does not allow the rim to roll back or forth. But still holds it up off the ground a few inches allowing the jack to be removed from under the t@b. I am assuming that it was designed to fit snug against the rim on three sides (no play)...

-Bubba
    bubbalusk,
    Answer #1: One (1) inch clearance from axle frame to ground.
    #2: I could if I had them...I think it is 18" long and maybe 6" wide at base.

If you look at Daveincaz' picture, you can see he didn't cut down the front jack to lower the front. That is why his looks real high in the front and not level. Doing that gives you greater clearance...but looks like he didn't need to.

I don't know if you misunderstood me or if I posted the wrong verbage....but I DO NOT remove the cover for my fantastic fan. I remove the A/C "Vent stack" in order to get proper clearance.

Your observation for the stand is correct. I can't provide a picture at present. I really didn't spend much time making It or ensuring a snug fit. I mounted those two blocks on top to ensure the rim wouldn't roll off the stand.

Hope this helps! By the way, my garage clearance is 83.5
    If you haven't already, search on "room in the garage...but can't get it through the door". You should read that post also.
  • CCPICCCCPICC Member Posts: 43
    May I make a suggestion, I had my builder raise the door opening to 8 feet and then overhead doors put on another pannel and my T@B goes in and out the garage with ease. changing the header on the garage is an easy step with the right tools and should not cost a bundle. I just back it in and disconnect in the garage itself. In the long run this is the easiest solution.
    I currently live in an apartment so that's not an option. I have sold my home in this area and will retire at my other house in another state very soon.
  • Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    CCPICC said:
    May I make a suggestion, I had my builder raise the door opening to 8 feet and then overhead doors put on another pannel and my T@B goes in and out the garage with ease. changing the header on the garage is an easy step with the right tools and should not cost a bundle. I just back it in and disconnect in the garage itself. In the long run this is the easiest solution.
    CCPICC, did you have to raise the garage door track at the top?
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • TrailerBoyTrailerBoy Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2017
    Thanks LARK for the details and thanks Davincaz for the confirmation pictures.  With your help our 2017 T@b Max S, Red Wing, is home in it's garage.

• RedDoorGalsRedDoorGals Member Posts: 23
    LARK said:
    bubbalusk,
    Answer #1: One (1) inch clearance from axle frame to ground.
    #2: I could if I had them...I think it is 18" long and maybe 6" wide at base.

If you look at Daveincaz' picture, you can see he didn't cut down the front jack to lower the front. That is why his looks real high in the front and not level. Doing that gives you greater clearance...but looks like he didn't need to.

I don't know if you misunderstood me or if I posted the wrong verbage....but I DO NOT remove the cover for my fantastic fan. I remove the A/C "Vent stack" in order to get proper clearance.

Your observation for the stand is correct. I can't provide a picture at present. I really didn't spend much time making It or ensuring a snug fit. I mounted those two blocks on top to ensure the rim wouldn't roll off the stand.

Hope this helps! By the way, my garage clearance is 83.5
    Lark, do these rims seem to meet the dimensions for getting the T@B in the 7' garage opening?  https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Wheel-White-Spoke-Utility/dp/B00DA89GGI 

And can you link me to your description of how you lowered the front crank wheel? I think I've read through these descriptions a few times, but I can't seem to find your description or photos of how you lowered the front crank.  Thanks!   I'm working with a 2015 320CX-S ....so we have gray/black water drains at the front of the trailer.
    2018 T@B CS-S; pulled by a 2010 Toyota Tacoma v6
  • HopsHops Member Posts: 48
    Those are 5 Bolt at 4.5 so it looks like they would work. Let's see what @LARK says. BTW nice work @TrailerBoy
    Hops and Cascade
    2017 T@B 320 Max S
    2014 Ford Escape 2.0 EcoBoost
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    I have not seen it, but 3 bolts on the jack, so longer bolts and proper spacers should do the trick.1" spacers, 1" lower.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • stevenmottastevenmotta Member Posts: 7
    I was able to get my 2018 T@b 320s into the garage with the suggestions and the pics from Daveincaz & Trailerboy.
    2018 T@B 320s | TV: 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6r Touring
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Congratulations! Looks miiiighttyyyy tight. Welcome to the forum!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @stevenmotta, X2 on the welcome! Am very impressed on the color coordination  between t@b, bike and garage floor. My t@b deserves, but doesn't get, such luxuries! Great pic by the way. Enjoy the adventure. Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • washburnwashburn Member Posts: 1
    THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP! I was able to get my T@B 320 in my garage. Mine was a lot more challenging than anyone else's. I originally had 82" height to work with so I had to find effectively 7". I also have a ledge and an incline into my garage. Had to cut out excess trim pieces and 2x4's (don't worry, I didn't cut the header). I also purchased a 2,000 pound winch to winch it into the garage with a remote; works great. One weakness of previous posts was how to handle the front; I ended up going to Northern Tool and purchasing a 3" dolly type wheel that could hold 600 pounds and just bolted it on the front so it would roll on that and the 2 rims. After fully lowered, it was 83.5" tall; I know because it touched the super fan as I was bringing it in.