Options

Has anyone purchased and used the T@B Arvika Bike Rack?

I'm looking to haul around 2 bikes on a rack and am interested in this Arvika bike rack and am wondering if there are any forum members who have used it and what your experiences have been to date?  Are there any other comparable bike racks around that mount similarly?  I want to be able to open up the rear hatch on my Equinox or at least not clutter up the tongue of the trailer?  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Comments

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I don't have the rack, but I've always shied away from it because I wouldn't want to be limited to using the bikes from the campground and/or need to break camp to take the bikes to another location.  To me, this rack would necessitate carrying a second bike rack to use on the vehicle when the trailer wasn't hitched.  Depends on your needs, but this is what I see as the major drawback.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 125
    We ordered our T@b with the rack and have been happy with it.  We usually only carry one bike on it so I can't comment on how it would ride with two but it seems very sturdy.
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Thanks for the feedback and will look into one of these if the money holds out!   =)
  • Options
    vctdrpvctdrp Member Posts: 14
    It was a must have when we bought our TAB in 09.  We have used it for several years.  We do carry a seperate bike rack for times when we are unable to bike from campground to trails, destination, etc.  It has worked well for us.  We always take our bikes.  Vickie and Tom/Newark, DE
  • Options
    davidahrensdavidahrens Member Posts: 5
    Just installed mine today. Seems very sturdy enough. Photos show open and closed positions.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ok davidahrens - Give a full set of your T@B graphics - Probably in the "Show Us Your T@B" or similar thread - Likin what I see.
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    second that !  did you design the graphic yourself?
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

Do the bikes in the rack limit the turning radius in any way?  And yes - post more photos of your T@B!

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    OutbackAZ said:

Do the bikes in the rack limit the turning radius in any way?  And yes - post more photos of your T@B!

I bought and installed my Arvika bike rack on my 2015 T@B and the bikes should have no impact on your turning radius as they do sit up high.
  • Options
    Can't tell from the pics - Does it interfere with opening the cover or getting a new propane tank in/out - emoty or with bikes?
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Can't tell from the pics - Does it interfere with opening the cover or getting a new propane tank in/out - emoty or with bikes?
    The bike rack adjusts up and down and when up a little higher the tub cover can be fully opened.  I adjusted mine last night and the cover opens up fully and unimpeded.

• Options
  • Options
    elmeauxelmeaux Member Posts: 44
    Does the bike rack impede opening the front window?

2016 M@x S Sofitel - The T@bahoula
  • Options
    elmeaux said:
    Does the bike rack impede opening the front window?
    No, I can still operate and open the front window.  
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

Cheap solution to the bike rack issue if your TV has enough headroom.  Bike held in place with a ratcheting strap attached to the top and bottom seatbelt posts.  front tire held to bike with one small bungee and the right side pedal.

002.JPG 75.4K
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Good to hear, Mike, thanks. Can the top portion be removed by loosening the (height adjustment?) knobs on either side? Looks like it would slide right out when you needed to.

That's a good solution inside the TV. When we don't have the dogs with us I could definitely see doing something like that.

• Options
    Being full-time, inside the TV isn't an option unless it would fit in the front seat with me :-(
    I like the Arvika but want the a bike to travel with the TV...Haven't figured out what to do yet :-(
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    elmeaux said:
    Good to hear, Mike, thanks. Can the top portion be removed by loosening the (height adjustment?) knobs on either side? Looks like it would slide right out when you needed to.

Yes, the upper bike rack portion can easily be removed by loosening up the tensioning knobs.  The rack also tilts downward to allow for easy removal of bikes from the rack.  As shown above the rack does have pins that allow for this action and tilting the rack up and down as needed.  I moved mine up higher to allow for easy access into the front propane/battery tub.  
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Sounds good. Appreciate the info!

PX, what about a spare tire mount?

• Options
    EddyEddy Member Posts: 12
    Just installed mine today. Seems very sturdy enough. Photos show open and closed positions.

Great graphics!!!

• Options
    elmeaux - I have my T@B tire mounted up front on the frame (side mount) so am afraid in tight turns it might hit. If I could get it high enough to clear I'd be ok but most of the tire mounts I've seen so far hangem to low.
  • Options
    DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
    After trying all kinds racks and extenders, we've paid the $$$ for the Arvika. Getting ready to install and see that we will need to change the location of the gray water drain. I see some of you have done this. Looking for advice before we cut anything. Pictures would be even better! Thanks. 
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ
    Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    PXLated, have you thought about carrying the bike on a roof rack?  I know it is not quite as convenient.  Or would a fold up bike be the answer?  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    I bought a Downtube fold up bike that has worked very well for me & my wife & can get them both in the back of my Jeep Wrangler 2 door. The bike was expensive but I did not have to buy the expensive rack so I came out even. She has the Citizens model. The model I bought has the belt drive so no dirty chain in the back of the Jeep. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    DeeDee said:
    After trying all kinds racks and extenders, we've paid the $$$ for the Arvika. Getting ready to install and see that we will need to change the location of the gray water drain. I see some of you have done this. Looking for advice before we cut anything. Pictures would be even better! Thanks. 
    We have the arvika rack, and it doesn't impede with the gray water drain.  Let me know if you'd like some pictures to see how it bolts up.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    The gray water drain location might be slightly different because we have a MaxQ and not an S or CS model. How did you determine where you placed the brackets on the trailer frame? Pictures would be very helpful. Just want to make sure rack is fully supported and in the best location before husband starts drilling or cutting anything. He's a pilot and tends to overthink and over engineer everything.  :s
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Our dealer installed it when we bought the camper.  I'll get some pictures when she returns home.  (Currently at the parents place over the mountains)
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited January 2017
    PXLated said:
    Being full-time, inside the TV isn't an option unless it would fit in the front seat with me :-(
    I like the Arvika but want the a bike to travel with the TV...Haven't figured out what to do yet :-(
    I have been looking at the http://www.upnfront.com/ bike carrier. It mounts to the T@B tongue but uses a receiver mounted bike rack (which we already own.) This would allow us to carry our bikes on the T@B but quickly switch the bike rack over to the TV when we are at camp. 

Edit: The company seems very willing to make sure the carrier will work for us. The owner had me send photos and measurements and actually took one of his racks to a T@B dealer and tried it to make sure it would work. When we get the T@B back in the spring I will pursue this further.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Hans111Hans111 Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2017
    All in all, we are happy with the Arvika after a few thousand miles. It's sturdy and pretty minimal so putting bikes on and taking them off is quick. I broke a small piece early on and Arvika was quick to replace.
    Only one issue, really--when we travel any distance the vertical supports don't want to stay raised no matter how we tighten them and they eventually slide down to rest on the front tub lid. So we just wedge sponges between the lid and the rack as a cushion and let the rail ride at the lowest position.

Doug
    Des Moines Iowa
    2016 S Max Sofitel
  • Options
    We finally installed the rack today. Spent many days trying figure location and finally just took the plunge. We did have to cut the gray water drain. Had a difficult time getting some of the bolts to fit. In general kind of a pain to install. Hope it works with our bikes. 
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ