Options

Using T@B in freezing temperatures

hi again,
So I have a dumb question....we are soon to be owners of a T@B and are considering sleeping in it this weekend. We live in the Pacific Notthwest and temperatures may get below freezing, but not a lot below. I've seen some posts about people using their T@Bs during the winter but I'm wondering what do I need to be concerned with?  Keeping the inside of the trailer above 32deg or is there something else?  Sorry in advance if this is a really stupid question....this is all new to us. 
Thanks for the advice!

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Is your T@b winterized? If not, try a search on "winterizing". If it is winterized, keep it as warm or cold as you want. You shouldn't be sinks, showers, or toilets or else your pipes could freeze and break. Some like to cover the fridge and a/c vents. There are threads on both.

Here is a similar discussion. http://www.tab-rv.com/forum#/discussion/comment/27204

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    We remained in a T@B for 4-5 days in freezing temperatures and had no ill effects although we did run the kitchen faucet continually to keep the sewage line open.  You'll be fine, just make sure you have a spare tank of propane and that you test Alde prior to your trip/use.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    If you have the Yahoo Weather app (there are probably others), you can take a look at the predicted temps hour by hour and see just how long it will be below freezing. An hour or two or three probably won't get you a hard freeze on your external plumbing - At least not hard enough to break anything.
    So, if you have daytime temps that will warm everything up and no multi-hour freezing temps you can probably camp just fine. Those temps get too low or go for too long, you need to be winterized.
    Here's Aspen, CO for today...

• Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    If, the faucets freeze int he campground, bring a good box and space heater along and put the heater inside the box ou put over the faucet that is frozen and let it run for half and hour and it'll have water running in no time.  Only thing is don't let the water run on the heater-it could give you cause for concern.
  • Options
    leroybortleroybort Member Posts: 61
    We took our tab out before Thanksgiving for the first time ever and it was icy outside when we got up in the morning.  All was warm and toasty in the tab overnight.  It had been winterized by the dealer so we used the shower house and brought our own water to drink.  We're in SE Ohio.
    Sug@rsh@ck -  2016 Max S Outback, 2016 Nissan Pathfinder.  
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    Here's a picture of me camping just last weekend.  It got down to the upper 20's/low 30's at night but I stayed toasty with a space heater.  I use a space heater because my 2013 T@b has a cool cat heat pump that is too loud for me to be able to sleep at night.  :)  Like others, once I winterize my T@b, I bring my own water and use the bathhouses and camp and kayak all winter here in NW AR.  We have excellent state and federal campgrounds! 
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Jbug, do you put your kayak in at those temps?

Pretty inspirational, either way! Thanks!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Regrettably, for the first winter in several years, winter seems to be coming late to us in PA. We have had no snow! Last year, we had several inches in October and several deep cold spells in November. This weekend we will have very warm weather. We are supposed to start to see a little winter mid month and then finally go to a colder overall pattern in January as the El Nino starts to subside. aS disappointed as I am for our winter, I am really glad to see huge snow amounts in the west where precipitation is badly needed.

I am hoping to get out camping the weekend before Christmas. With no snow, I will have a lot of options.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Hey Jenn, I'm with you, in most cases, re embracing winter. But I must say, this little break we're having now is welcome, after last year's November walloping in Western NY, and then the steady accumulation after.

Looking around our property now, it's hard to remember how deep and relentless it was, for most of the winter last year, but I do remember plowing daily, finally running out of places to put the snow, then getting the tractor stuck... 

We've seen worse here, but only a few times over these decades. 

I do hope to get camping out in the snow soon though. And I hope the temps begin to freeze before it all turns to mud. That would be a good thing... B-)

(85 y.o. mom-in-law getting herself out after the 2014 November storm...)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I'm definitely heading Southwest SOON ! Brrrrrr!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I'm with you Verna - Oh, that's right, I'm already here.

• Options
    @ChanW- your mother in law looks like an awesome lady! 2010-2011 Was our golden winter here in the 'Burgh. I knew at the time I might not ever see another winter like it in my lifetime in Pittsburgh, but I still dream....

It just isn't as pretty here with no snow and no leaves. We don't have the pine forests they have out west that look pretty all year long (except in case of the beetle blight.)

• Options
    JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    PXL - Nice photos.  Looks a lot better than the office where I spent the day today.  Where are you?
    2015 Max U Outback; 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4; Austin, Tx
  • Options
    ChanW said:

No, I just load it on the jeep and take it with me for the heck of it.  :)  Sorry I had a moment of sarcasm hit me.  I kayak year around and have plenty of gear that helps with that. There is beauty on the water with every season! 
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

JBUG -- Looks fantastic and so glad you are still getting out to camp and kayak!!! Wish I could -- but soon, I will. 

JKJenn -- I hope you get all the snow you want!  Glad some people like cold temperatures because it keeps the population balanced at campgrounds for those who love cold weather and those who love warm weather.   

PXLATED -- Where were those picture taken?????

Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I hate to say where it is because it's first come, first served and this is the first time I managed to get in. Tried last year twice and got skunked, was always full. It's also rumored that the BLM is going to close it after this season and sell the land to the resort next door. Would hate to have someone drive out of their way just to be turned away.
    If someone really wants to know and take the chance on it being full, message me and I'll give you the details.
  • Options
    jbug10, Excellent. Will have to look into it! My DW and I have been thinking about it for a while now.

Do you use a dry suit? I used to sailboard in winter a bit. The hardest thing I found to keep warm when sailboarding below freezing was my hands. What gloves do you use?

And yes, I've been known to take bicycles on a 1200 mile trip without taking them off the roof. Uh... Looked good though. B-)
    jbug10 said:
    ChanW said:

No, I just load it on the jeep and take it with me for the heck of it.  :)  Sorry I had a moment of sarcasm hit me.  I kayak year around and have plenty of gear that helps with that. There is beauty on the water with every season! 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    ChanW said:
    Hey Jenn, I'm with you, in most cases, re embracing winter. But I must say, this little break we're having now is welcome, after last year's November walloping in Western NY, and then the steady accumulation after.

Looking around our property now, it's hard to remember how deep and relentless it was, for most of the winter last year, but I do remember plowing daily, finally running out of places to put the snow, then getting the tractor stuck... 

We've seen worse here, but only a few times over these decades. 

I do hope to get camping out in the snow soon though. And I hope the temps begin to freeze before it all turns to mud. That would be a good thing... B-)

(85 y.o. mom-in-law getting herself out after the 2014 November storm...)
    60 degrees here today in ROC. I was walking on the bike path beside the Erie Canal earlier and two dudes were biking shirtless with bare feet. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options

ChanW - I have both a dry and wet suit, but use the dry suit only when it is below freezing and use it as the top layer of three.  The hands are the hardest to keep warm for me too.  I have waterproof gloves, but they don't keep out the cold, so I wear a pair of gore-tex over the waterproof pair. 

Actually, there was a camping trip fall 2014 that Moondance did not make it off the jeep.  The lake was 14 feet down and it was impossible to find a put-in.

There have been a couple of pretty good kayak discussions here that you could search.

• Options
    Thanks, I will.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya