Options

No Power To Interior Via Battery

2»

Comments

• Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    Chan, I'm in San Antonio now and it's raining.  I'm going to be here at least a week and as soon as the rain subsides, I'm going to check the ground.  I can't get out of the rain, Pensacola, Gulfport MS, Beaumont TX and now SA!
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2016
    Sgt, you ought to be able to test it with an ohm-meter (multi-meter), but I couldn't tell you what the readings should be. It might be easier to simply check the connections to be sure they're clean.

Ideally, the 7pin on the TV should have a heavy wire (#10ga or heavier) going directly back to the TV battery terminal.

Then check the Tab ground from the 7pin to the battery - actually I don't know if there's a Tab frame ground.

Hope your rain clears up, our snow just started, here in Buffalo... Finally, no mud!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    ChanW - There is a T@B frame ground as noted above.
    SgtJohn - Rain - Sounds like my trip back northe last spring - Rain acriss NM and KS - Three weeks wirth - Feel your pain.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited January 2016
    I agree with Chan....  I would take the cover off the trailer plug near the tongue and check all connections there, as well as the receiver plug on your tow vehicle.  Clean up any corrosion in these areas as this is a good spot for moisture which is a means of corroding connections.  It could easily be just a loose connection under these areas and some corrosion.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    SgtJohn, to be clearer I should have specified the ground wire from the 7pin on the TV to the TV'S negative battery terminal should be 10ga and continuous (as should be the 12v supply wire). Some installers might take a shortcut and simply ground it to the frame of the TV, which makes for a possibility of poor connections.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    And that supply wire should have an inline fuse!  Very important or the bacon could fry.  Tomorrow is cloudy according to the forecast so I'll take a look.
  • Options
    I remember now that I in "mid-sleep" shorted out the Carbon Monoxide detector and blew a fuse on the converter.  I replaced the fuse but the inline fuse failed to blow so I think that I fired that portion of the converter.  I ordered a new converter from LG and will install in in the next few days.
    Incidentally, the T@B is in the garage hitch first on the cut-down wheels so I can't get the TV in front of the T@B to hook up to 12 v.  So, I configured a spare 7-way connection and hooked ups  12 v charger to get the power to the trailer.  
    I note that with the charger connected and powered up that I only have power to one of the two positive lines leading to/from the battery.  I'm thinking that the one that doesn't have power will have power and that will indicate that the TV will then charge the T@B battery.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Let us know how that converter exchange goes - pics maybe.
    I have a bad one. Haven't gotten at installing the new one yet. Hasn't been critical since I can't remember the last time I had a hookup so have procrastinated.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    PXLated said:
    Let us know how that converter exchange goes - pics maybe.
    I have a bad one. Haven't gotten at installing the new one yet. Hasn't been critical since I can't remember the last time I had a hookup so have procrastinated.
    That's been a long time now!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn - Ya - If you don't do hookups, the coverter, battery charging feature doesn't come into play so it's real easy to procrastinate. I've become a pro :-)
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    And you have nice sunny days... Must be nice to have alternatives!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    And you have nice sunny days... Must be nice to have alternatives!
    Lol, so true. I think we had an hour of sun yesterday. Back to grey, today. When I fly out west, it is such a drastic change it takes my eyes quite a while to adjust. Nit so bad when I drive.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Changeout of the converter is complete and all systems appear to be working as designed. I took a few photos and will post them as soon as I figure out how to reduce the super-size photos.
  • Options
    SgtJohn - How long did it take ya?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    It took about 2 hours roughly.  Not difficult at all.  In lieu of photos, I used masking tape and numbered the wiring so as not to connect the wrong wire somewhere and have a problem.
  • Options
    Cool - That's what I was thinkin of doin - Looks pretty straight forward.
  • Options
    Sgtjohn said:
    It took about 2 hours roughly.  Not difficult at all.  In lieu of photos, I used masking tape and numbered the wiring so as not to connect the wrong wire somewhere and have a problem.
    I used address labels to label the wires when I did my battery switch.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    And, for us OCD people.. may your label-maker never fail (or your backup one). ;)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Ratkity said:
    And, for us OCD people.. may your label-maker never fail (or your backup one). ;)
    Hummmm........I thought I was just helping myself for next year by labeling the valves and pipes in the Alde area.  Me, OCD?  Naw....never......well, maybe a bit here and there.....the backup label maker is at home, but as my sister says, there's a Walmart within a 100 miles or so!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I once color coded some wiring for a friend - turned out he was color blind :-(
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited February 2016
    I took a picture of the T@B plumbing "camping mode" and stuck it inside the photo vault on my iPhone for future reference.  I have other documents I keep stored on the iPhone too pertaining to the T@B and as they say, "a photo's worth a thousand words"  

Works for me anyway!   =)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ