Options

North - to Alaska!

Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
Has anyone had any experience using a ferry to go from Seattle to Alaska (bypassing those pesky Canadians)?  Someone told me yesterday he was on one with several RVs and people tent camping on the boat's deck.
2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I haven't done that stretch, but you will be missing a lot if you do not go up through the Glacier NP area, Banff and Jasper. That is one beautiful drive and the Canadian Rockies are much more beautiful than the Colorado Rockies.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    It would be so cool to have a T@B caravan going to Alaska.

Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    DougandMiaDougandMia Member Posts: 73
    I haven't done that stretch, but you will be missing a lot if you do not go up through the Glacier NP area, Banff and Jasper. That is one beautiful drive and the Canadian Rockies are much more beautiful than the Colorado Rockies.
    And we Canadians are pretty darn great, too =)  Maybe just a little pesky.... Some of us.
      Mia   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  2015 T@B U, formerly 2012 LG 5-Wide Platform
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    And we Canadians are pretty darn great, too...
    I know at least two that are.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    Love Canada, especially in July - August  =)
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    ...and dream of traveling with our  t@b all the way to Alaska from GA!  :)
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    If Christopher Columbus discovered America, who discovered Canada? It seems like the country just showed up out of nowhere. And how did they draw that perfectly straight line from east to west along the border without a GPS? I'm just saying we should keep an eye on them, that's all.
  • Options
    It was the Vikings in the east. There is evidence of settlements in Newfoundland from about 1000 years ago. As for the straight line... We are a very neat and tidy people.
  • Options
    If the Viking story is true, shouldn't the United States be called South Canada (like South Dakota)?
  • Options
    The Viking story is true. My theory is that everyone either froze to death or moved south and became snowbirds and nothing was mentioned again. We're also very polite.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    MN breaks that nice straight line though. Could it be the Vikings way of giving the canadians the finger?
  • Options
    That makes perfect sense. I was stunned how courteous and pleasant everyone was during my stay in Canada. A clean and beautiful place. BTW, never engage in a history discussion with someone who went to a vocational high school.
  • Options
    My last two (and current) campground neighbors have been Canadian - I've run into so many I think they're invading.
  • Options
    I think you're correct PXLated. Florida is full now, next it will be Arizona, and before you know it "South Canada" it is.
  • Options
    Getting back to the original posting (boring as it is), the cost to ferry you and your RV from Washington state to Homer ALaska is $3,000 by my estimate. With no access to your RV while the ferry is underway. You must rent a cabin. Seems pretty steep to me.
  • Options
    T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    edited February 2016
    We had looked into it but just passage for your vehicle and T@B can be quite expensive even if tent camping on the deck (which is free to do vs. getting a cabin). During the summer when fuel was 2x as much as it is now it was much cheaper to drive and camp than taking the ferries. If I recall, car alone up to 14' was going to be about $2k one way. The other thing is you miss out on some spectacular camping through Canada's Provincial Parks (BC) and Government Parks (YT and NT) which in our experience surpassed many US parks. Plus we would have missed out on meeting Michigan_Mike and his posse in Watson Lake during our return trip as they were headed north.

It was an awesome 7000 mile road trip and our T@B was fantastic. We encountered other T@Bers and even a local one to AK in Seward that was a twin to our 2006!

Pardon the dirty T@B... as Mike kindly said, "that's got to be the dirtiest T@B I've ever seen". Ha, good thing he hadn't seen it before the rains we drove through :blush: 

2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
  • Options
    The gauntlet has been thrown. I'll be going to Alaska this summer with my T@B (sans ferry) If you're interested in joining the expedition, let me know.  Looking at mid-June, two to three weeks in duration. We only live once.
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I wholeheartedly recommend traveling the Alaska Marine Highway.   Though not T@B owners at the time, we did take our teardrop trailer from Michigan to Alaska and back.   Out of that eight-week trip, we spent two weeks on and off the ferry visiting most of the coastal towns in the Inside Passage.   My wife and I agree that was the best part of the trip.   John Holod, a travel film-maker and RV show speaker, suggests traveling with your RV on land from your starting point and seeing what you want to see on land in Alaska first.   After that, take the ferry from the north back south.   We took his advice and it turned out to be right on.   Starting in Haines, we made stops in Juneau, Gustavus, Sitka, Petersburg, and Ketchikan before getting off at Prince Rupert.  In each of these places we camped at least a couple of nights.   It is certainly worthwhile to budget the time to visit several places along the ferry route rather than booking a passage straight through.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    OutbackAZ said:
    The gauntlet has been thrown. I'll be going to Alaska this summer with my T@B (sans ferry) If you're interested in joining the expedition, let me know.  Looking at mid-June, two to three weeks in duration. We only live once.
    You'll love it! Get the Milepost and plan out your routes. We took the central up and eastern back to get as much in as possible. The western is the ferry route. With T@B in tow you can wing it on where to stop depending on interests, when you feel like taking a break, etc. And the parks up are truly wonderful and of all sizes from small little roadside parks of 16 sites to really big parks that feel like you've landed in the Garden of Eden. The best part is they're super accessible with some being literally right off the highway or you can venture as far as you want off the beaten path to find even more rewarding experiences.

2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
  • Options
    T@Balaska 2016 is the name of the expedition (not to be confused with Baked Alaska 2016).  I envision a join in when you can - leave when you want format. Let's do this!
  • Options
    Thanks T@Bahura! Like the Lewis and Clark expedition, we'll need a Dutch oven and interpreter familiar with languages along the route. Hopefully, one of our members will be fluent in "Canadian."
  • Options
    All ya gotta know is - Yaaaa, You Betcha
  • Options
    I think you have met imposters. We also don't say aboot  instead of about. It's all a myth. Many of us, however, have the unfortunate habit of ending sentences with"eh?"
  • Options
    PXLated: looking forward to you joining the expedition as lead interpretor. Your command of the ancient Canadian dialect is impressive and reassuring. Also, bring a Dutch oven. 
  • Options
    I'm from MN - It's dang near Canada :-)
    Been to Fargo too don't ya know.
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    Was born and raised in Niagara Falls, NY, right across the river from Canada.  You Know how Canada got its name?  Three trappers were sitting around the campfire one night.  One trapper said, "Gee, this is a gorgeous country.  Lots of good hunting and trapping up here.  Wonder what they call it?"  Another said, "It doesn't have a name."  The other suggested they name it.  So they put all the letters of the alphabet in a coonskin hat, and each trapper would pull out a letter.  The first one pulled out a letter and said, "C, eh".  The 2nd trapper pulled out a letter and said, "N, eh".  The last trapper pulled out of the hat and said, "N, eh".   Now you know how Canada got its name.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    Fargo-- yes, that's the movie where they kept saying: "Yaaa, you betcha". I think that saying stays on your side of the"straight line" (eh?)
  • Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    I wish I was retired.  I'd be so up for this trip.
    Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    What a hoot!
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    Funny, don't think I ever heard "fargo talk" till after "Fargo"