Options

Need advice

We have a 2015 t@b cs-smax with a 2007 toyota tacoma 4 cylinder with a 3 speed automatic w/overdrive.We are planning our 1st.trip from texas to colorado in april.We have added the transmission cooler,hitch and wiring package and brake controller.I was planning on not using the overdrive and staying in 3rd on the highways.Wondering what people"s thoughts on this of whether this is a mistake or not and is too much for the transmission and should we rethink this and stay home.
2015 t@b cs-s max[Dre@mt@b],2007 Toyota Tacoma 4cyl.   Carey&Lisa                                                                                            

Comments

• Options
    Depends on the towing capacity of your Tacoma.  We pulled our Outback 2,800 miles last summer from AR to CO and back with a 2011 Tacoma pre-runner, 4 cyl, automatic, with no tranny cooler without any issues.  Not the quickest over some passes but tolerable overall.  We ran it in D, manually downshifting as necessary in the mountains.  Ours has a 3,500 lb tow capacity and, as I recall, 350 lb tongue weight capacity.  
    If Overdrive doesn't work, you'll know it, just downshift.  I'd go for it, but if you still have concerns, try a short overnight trip near home 1st to see how it feels.  I think you'll be fine, last thing I'd do is stay home if I had a chance to hit the road and camp!   Good luck and enjoy!
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    As arktech says - you'll know whether overdrive will work or not - If it lags and you can't speed up, downshift. Don't want to overtax your tranny.
    Now yours will be different, you'll just have to play/test it but I have a heavy Jeep Wrangler with a six speed manual tranmission. Rarely ever in 6th, only in 5th on fairly level highways. 3rd/4th are my go to gears for up/down. 
  • Options
    lisacatroselisacatrose Member Posts: 7
    Thank you arktech and pxlated.My wife is doing the happy dance and we are going. Will post pics.Carey and lisa
    2015 t@b cs-s max[Dre@mt@b],2007 Toyota Tacoma 4cyl.   Carey&Lisa                                                                                            
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I believe @DurangoTaBtows with a Taco.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We also use a Tacoma 4cyl, but it's manual transmission.

Auto-transmission is more susceptible to overheating problems than a MT, but a cooler ought to help.

We have been fine with the 4cyl, just need patience on some of those mtn. passes.

Go for it. Have a great trip!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya