Options

Average daily travel distances ?

Aloha! Wife and I first timers towing a trailer. We're picking up new T@b in Columbus, Ohio next July and traveling back to Newport, Oregon. Towing with 2015 Subaru Outback 4 cylinder. And for planning purposes , how many miles do you estimate making per day average? 

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Ahoy, Captain! Driving in July, with a four cylinder, make sure you plan to give your vehicle plenty of breaks to cool down. I had a transmission cooler on my last Jeep, which was well above the T@b in tow capacity, and by afternoon, driving through the plains at 90-100+ temps, it would start to run a little hot. Not hot enough for a warning light, but I saw the needle creeping up, which it never did at any other time. To avoid a problem, you might want to plan to drive early, rest in the middle of the day, and then drive a little, further later in the afternoon. Also, you can turn the a/c off to help cool down the engine. Turning off the a/c worked for me, but it was not exactly comfortable, even with the windows open. It ran the hottest through the plains states.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    There was just a related thread on this - driving distances. There's been others also. Try a search on "distance" and see if they show up.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    edited January 2016
    Are you going to sightsee on the way?  I went in a 2013 Forester and went across similar path in reverse at 300 miles a day without any issues.  (didn't have any trouble with heat in late June).  Tried to stay around 55 to keep everything easy on the vehicle (and my brain) so they were 6.5-7 hour days with reasonable stopping times.  250 days were a much more pleasant pace.  Direct trip would be 8-9 days at 300 per day.  But you are passing thru some really beautiful country that should add days.... depending on what you want to see.  
  • Options
    TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
    We have a new, 2016 Outback & t@b.  My comfort traveling time is about 5 to 6 hours.  We are also first time campers and there's a certain amount of stress that comes with dragging something behind you!  We've had no problems with the engine getting hot. We travel at about 60 to 65 miles per hour.
    Our biggest issue was the towing hitch, ball mount, or whatever you want to call it.  The dealer installed one on the Subaru that dropped a couple of inches and it caused the camper to drag on the ground when entering or exiting a gas station or any other location where there's a fairly significant change in ground height.  We also experienced a tremendous amount of trailer bobbing up and down on semi-rough roads. This scared the heck out of us! -- Good news: We solved this problem last week by purchasing a ball mount that doesn't drop down. It's parallel with the receiver ( I guess it's called).  The camper sits up at a slight angle, but the Subaru's ride is significantly improved!  -- Just a few words of wisdom!
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    edited February 2016
    Aloha! Wife and I first timers towing a trailer. We're picking up new T@b in Columbus, Ohio next July and traveling back to Newport, Oregon. Towing with 2015 Subaru Outback 4 cylinder. And for planning purposes , how many miles do you estimate making per day average? 
    How do you feel about boon docking - stopping for the night with no power hookups?  If your goal is to save time, last winter, for example while taking our T@B to FL I stopped at Cracker Barrel restaurants for the night.  Many people also stop at Walmarts, Camping World and other free spots for the night in order to save the time needed to find and set up at a camp site.  Or, you can stop at a truck stop that has showers in order to save time. This way you can add a few extra miles every day.  I also found that with the decreased gas mileage towing the T@B I would need to make more fuel stops, which adds time.

The disadvantage, boon docking in July, would be no air conditioning - only the Fantastic fan.  Your tow vehicle likely does't have a large enough alternator to handle keeping the fridge running on 12 volt, but we have found that using an ice chest in the car is good enough to keep some things cold for a trip.

For trip planning purposes you can use software on your computer.  I use a MacBook and like Roadtrip Planner. I also use AllStays website for planning.  It lists all of the truck stops, rest stops, Walmarts and campsites.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Mercator said:
    How do you feel about boon docking - stopping for the night with no power hookups?  If your goal is to save time, last winter, for example while taking our T@B to FL I stopped at Cracker Barrel restaurants for the night.  Many people also stop at Walmarts, Camping World and other free spots for the night in order to save the time needed to find and set up at a camp site.  Or, you can stop at a truck stop that has showers in order to save time. This way you can add a few extra miles every day.  I also found that with the decreased gas mileage towing the T@B I would need to make more fuel stops, which adds time.

The disadvantage, boon docking in July, would be no air conditioning - only the Fantastic fan.  Your tow vehicle likely does't have a large enough alternator to handle keeping the fridge running on 12 volt, but we have found that using an ice chest in the car is good enough to keep some things cold for a trip.

For trip planning purposes you can use software on your computer.  I use a MacBook and like Roadtrip Planner. I also use AllStays website for planning.  It lists all of the truck stops, rest stops and campsites.
    I agree. If the goal is getting miles under your feet versus sightseeing, this is the way to go, or for at least part of the time. FYI, there are dump stations at every other exit on I-80 in Ohio and at the rest stops along I-80 in Iowa.

However, in July, it will be hot and humid until you hit western Nebraska and then it will be just hot. :) It can be worth it find an overnight stop to plug in for a/c. Everyone has their own tolerance for heat and humidity. Mine is very poor.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    captainwingscaptainwings Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for the info. We're  planning around 250 to 300 miles per day. I've mapped it out to stay in rv parks along the route. To complicate matters, we're also traveling with our german shepherd, a loveable, well behaved 100#  fur ball. I guess the further in advance you make reservations with the rv parks the better.
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    Thanks for the info. We're  planning around 250 to 300 miles per day. I've mapped it out to stay in rv parks along the route. 
    If you are only going to be staying the night in the rv park try and find them near the highway to save time.  They may have road noise, but that will be drowned out by the air conditioner or fan.  You can stay in the T@B when it is hooked up to your car without the need to put down the stabilizers.  You will find it a lot quicker and easier if you ask for a drive-through site when you make your bookings.  

You could also check out the Good Sam RV Club.  You can get discounts on some parks and discount fuel at Flying J/Pilot truck stops as well as discounts at Camping World. Good Sam also has a roadside assistance plan that is fairly inexpensive and it can include towing, flat tire repair of the trailer as well as your car.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Mercator said:
    Thanks for the info. We're  planning around 250 to 300 miles per day. I've mapped it out to stay in rv parks along the route. 
    If you are only going to be staying the night in the rv park try and find them near the highway to save time.  They may have road noise, but that will be drowned out by the air conditioner or fan.  You can stay in the T@B when it is hooked up to your car without the need to put down the stabilizers.  You will find it a lot quicker and easier if you ask for a drive-through site when you make your bookings.  

You could also check out the Good Sam RV Club.  You can get discounts on some parks and discount fuel at Flying J/Pilot truck stops as well as discounts at Camping World. Good Sam also has a roadside assistance plan that is fairly inexpensive and it can include towing, flat tire repair of the trailer as well as your car.

Yes, and to save time, you don't have to dump your tanks every day or even hook up to water.