Options

Propane cover

i searched but can't find it if this was asked before.  I am picking up the outback max s next week.  I was just wondering if the diamond plate propane box has a lock on it.  

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The regular covers don't. They used to but not anymore. Safety issue if there's a fire or you're in an accident and propane is escaping they need to get in there is the reason I recall. So, betting the OB doesn't either.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    None of the front tubs (diamond plate or any other material propane/battery box) have locks. See PXLated reasons above. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    The ones I've seen have a rubber strap thingy to keep the cover closed. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Sis has that rubber strap on her Outback propane cover. It's threatening to break. She needs to add a good latch or lock. IMHO, if you are in a crash that mushes the front cover, there's more things to worry about than unlocking and opening a tub with a 20# propane tank off-gassing next to a thing that sparks (battery).

My 2015 T@Bitha was probably one of the last handful of T@Bs to get a lock on the plastic propane cover. The lock was also the latch and the only way to secure the lid down so it didn't blow open while driving. I replaced the original propane cover with a diamond plate toolbox (gray cover is in the basement). I can lock the new toolbox if I want, but doesn't need to be locked to latch the lid down. It has a secure pull-latch like most diamond plate toolboxes. There's really no reason for me to lock it. Most people who open it will be disappointed to see a bunch of sewer hoses and attachments dominating the top part.  Some folks store solar panels or gennys inside their front boxes, possibly needing to add locks.

I'll ask a friend if it's a new industry standard not to have locks the battery/propane area on new rigs these days for liability reasons.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

I put one on when I first got my Outback.  Just a standard mailbox lock from HomeDepot.  Used a 3/4" step drill from Harbor Freight to cut the hole.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.