Options

New Screen Door

CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
edited September 2015 in Modifications & Upgrades
Becky saw the new screen doors they are installing on the new T@B's and insisted that I get one if possible when I went to Tearstock.

After the factory tour I went in the office and ordered some parts, including a new screen door, not really sure that it would fit on my 2012 T@B.  Later that afternoon, have all the tools I needed with me, I installed it, and it works great!  It just fit into place.  I had to keep the Velcro from the old screen door in place to cover a gap that is between the wall and the door frame, but I will cover that up when I get the chance.  I will note, it looks like this door will not fit Dutchman T@B's, the cabinet doors look like they are in the way, but that may vary between models.

They now have very similar shades and screens for the windows, which I may do at some point too.  Those do fit the Dutchman T@B's.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
Sterling, VA

Comments

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    I am torn... on one hand, I think it would be awesome to have a true one handed operation.... but as we have dogs, I wonder if it would withstand their enthusiasm... decisions, decisions... ballpark, how much was the screen?
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Well, I can tell you that my sister's dog only ran into my screen door on the French doors one time.  Now he stops every time before he goes out the door.  You can teach a 4 1/2 year old dog new tricks!

I think the screen door is neat. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    LOL!
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    I am not sure how it would hold up with the dogs. It set me back $140,I got it at the factory, so I've no idea on the cost of shipping.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Nathan -- How much drilling did you have to do, and how does it anchor?  I tried to drill one hole (once-upon-a-time) in my new 2014 T@B, and didn't have good luck going through that first layer of foam-type board.  Any tips for doing that?  I saw your post on FB, and if there are no instructions, how intuitive do you have to be to install it?  I like it.  Sweet! :D
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    The screws provided were self tapping, so no hole had to be drilled first, and they are holding firm into place.

Once I put the door frame into place to eye it up it became very evident how it was to be installed.  I am going to remove it to do some work on the floor, and will take photos as I reinstall it and write up some instructions.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Groovy!!!  That would be super-appreciated.  I am going to order one.  I have used the mesh screen this summer, but the door seems like a great improvement.  Thanks.  =D>
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    deputydogdeputydog Member Posts: 103

This screen door is awesome. It feels like I'm at home. Way to go Little Guy. I enjoy these improvements.

TV is a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Own 2015 T@B Maxx s/wet-bath white green. St. Clair Shores, MI.

• Options
    y2kdaddioy2kdaddio Member Posts: 20
    I guess this is to Cyclonic.  Just checking in on this topic now that it's spring "almost".  Our T@B is still in hibernation.  I had written to LG about the new screen door fitting our 2013 Q floor plan and was advised that the new screen door would not fit unless we "shortened the cabinets."  Can you please tell me what screen door you bought?  Seems there can't be much difference between a 2012 and 2013 model T@B.  As others have posted, the velcro door is pretty much worthless but I haven't thrown it away - keep thinking there must be some use for it.  Appreciate any advice.
  • Options
    y2kdaddioy2kdaddio Member Posts: 20
    And did you have to shorten the length of the cabinet doors?  I've heard that mentioned other places.  Half inch, inch......?
  • Options
    I did not have to make any adjustments to the cabinet doors.  Give me a day or two and I'll take some measurements and let you know how much free space you will need between the wall and the cabinet doors.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    LarryLarry Member Posts: 25
    Not available on the store site. Know who I should call?
    thnxs
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Call Pleasant Valley (phone number is on the right under Contact Numbers. Ask for Elsie.  And their hours are 5:30 am to 3:30 pm ET.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Wow, got one and just tried it in the 2014 Maxx and it's not obvious to me! Any advise or pics would be great!
  • Options
    I'm sorry I don't have any pics of the install, but it is pretty easy.

The screen door comes in pieces and includes brackets and screws for mounting it. The brackets have several predrilled holes in the, are flat on one side and have pegs on the other side. The flat side of this bracket will be screwed against the interior wall next to the door and the frame of the screen door will be hung on the pegs via holes on the inside of the frame.

First I put the screen door frame together and hung the brackets on it. I measured how far apart the brackets were and then how far off the ground they were. With these measurements I was able to measure where around the T@B's door the brackets should go.

I took the cabinet doors next the the door off to make it easier to move the screen door in place. I screwed the brackets into place with the proved screws, The screws are self tapping, so no predrilling required. I then hung the frame into place.

On the base of the frame there are holes to place screws into to secure it to the floor.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Finally got around to attempting to install the screen door. Without instructions it didn't make sense until I posted in the forum. I only received one metal bracket instead if the required two. (supposed to get 2, right?) Also, in our 2014 Max U will the cabinet doors above and on the floor need modification?
    When I fit the door in place to try in the doors will not open. What am I doing wrong friendos?
    Looked easy......
  • Options
    Wrote the factory and yes they forgot a bracket. Is there also a molded plastic piece that fits against the door and follows the door shape? Otherwise there is a significant gap caused by the flange on the screen door.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Met a couple with a 2014 Max-S yesterday that had replaced the Velcro screen with the slider - He had to notch out the right end of the cabinet door under the fridge to fit the frame.
  • Options
    Sandra are you referring to the Larson Screen door file? That's not what T@B is now offering. Is there another file I am missing?
  • Options
    stenobotstenobot Member Posts: 3

If you have a determined dog, I recommend keeping the old screen door. They're pretty sensitive. We just got a T@b Outback this year, and our first time out with it, Milo (our small dog) broke the screen door. He essentially knocked it off the track, and in the process a grommet broke. Once this happens, the whole screen door unit is pretty much toast.

Besides that, we love the Outback. But we're downgrading to the old screen door.

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I hope you're not referring to the "old screen door" that opens inward and attaches with velcro.  I hate mine and used it once.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I installed mine on my Dutchmen Clamshell. I had to move the upper cabinet doors a bit to the left, but did not need to cut them. The lower bench did not have to be modified, but I did take it off while installing. I did NOT use the side brackets. Mine is secured with two screws at the top, and two or three screws at the bottom. (Make sure you move the little string out of the way when putting in the bottom screws). I also removed the small metal trim on the floor of the T@B by the door.

I had previously installed a Magic Mesh screen with some trim to hold it in place. I cut new trim and put it around the new screen door to hide the old screw holes from the Magic Mesh.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    If it's necessary to move or notch the cabinet doors, it seems it'd be necessary to notch the countertop too.

Is that the case?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    For indoor kitchen models, yes, I've heard that is the case, but in my clamshell the front bench did not need modifying.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Aha. Thanks Carol.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    stenobotstenobot Member Posts: 3
    TABaker said:
    I hope you're not referring to the "old screen door" that opens inward and attaches with velcro.  I hate mine and used it once.

I was referring to the one they sell here: http://teardropshop.com/products/t-b-screen-door

Is this the same one you hated? What didn't you like about it? I'm very new to T@B (and trailers in general), and I was just about to order it. So, I'd greatly appreciate the advice.

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    That is the one I threw away.  They are discussing a sliding screen, not that bulky metal reinforced metal screen.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    stenobot, the velcro'd on screen that you're looking at on the teardropshop is very difficult to deal with, especially if you're tall.

It zips in the middle, which leaves a 'peaked' opening to go through, which isn't very good for shoulder clearance. Gotta duck pretty low to clear it. Side zip, up and over the top, would have been smarter.

The zipper requires two hands to open it, because it's not attached to the floor.

Your shoulders can pull on it, pulling the sticky-backed velcro right off the wall.

It's a complete PITA.

I'm surprised they still sell it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Stenobot- you can have our Velcro door at no charge to see if you like it.  We found it cumbersome so upgraded to the Larson door this summer. Email me your address (through the forum mail at the top of the screen)and I'll sen it to you!
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Stenobot- you can have our Velcro door at no charge to see if you like it.  We found it cumbersome so upgraded to the Larson door this summer. Email me your address (through the forum mail at the top of the screen)and I'll send it to you!
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner