Options

Which Honda 2000i do I get?

Thanks for letting me join your group!  I just bought a Max-S and very excited about it.

I need some Honda 2000i questions answered.  I did a search and couldn't find out what I needed. 

Anyway, I'm getting Honda 2000i.  The question is which one..... the 2000i or the 2000i Companion?  I really only need one generator, so the salesman said I could get the 2000i Companion as a stand alone unit so I could use the included 30 amp outlet on the generator then just plug in the T@B and run it.    Or.....should I get the original 2000i which has two 15 amp plugs and use an 30 amp plug adaptor to power the trailer? 

I would appreciate anyone's technical expertise especially if you have a 2000i.   I'm a TT newbie and want to get it right before I spend $1000 on a generator.   Thanks so much!

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    There was just a recent thread on this exact topic - Several dealers told me that you can't used the companion by itself whereas Ratkity's dealer told here she could.
    After 21 months on the road I can't honestly say I've never seen a companion used singularily.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Depends on the features you want. The 2000i has the battery charger and double 20A outlets (you'll have to use an adaptor for your 30A camper plug). The Companion has the plug connect for the 30A (still only puts out 20A) and no battery charger. The output watts are still the same as well as the amperage. If you are unsure, go with the 2000i (the companion is 2000ia). Main features as far as gas usage, safety features (oil shut off), ECOmode, etc are the same on both.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I have the battery charge cable and actually had to use it one time out in the Black Hills.
  • Options
    Oh.. and both have the parallel cable ports! Makes it 4000W peak total wattage (normal wattage running in non-ECO mode is 3800W for 2 in parallel or 1600W for one).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Well....  I bought the Yamaha, just to add to the confusion...  The Yamaha EF2000isv2 model has is a fuel shut off switch which is independent to the on/off knob (Yamaha refers to it as the ‘Petrol Petcock’). This means that you can turn off the fuel line when the unit is still in operation, enabling you to drain the remaining fuel from the carburetor.  It also has a fuel gauge monitor.  Not sure the Honda does.  The two are pretty equal otherwise....
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    You'll be happy with the Yamaha, Terry. I'm glad you found something that will meet your needs! Now.. about that camping thing - I think I hear your T@B calling your name!!! :wink:

• Options
    Going this weekend till Tuesday 
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Well,  which ever generator you buy,  be aware of restrictions that I'm learning about.   First,  as PXlated said,  there are hours of operation.   Second they might not be allowed at all.  It has been wonderful weather here in sunny Wisconsin,  but we found out that Wisconsin state parks don't allow them at all. 
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Well that's a little harsh.
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    We have the companion and have no problems w our max s
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    Alan_EllisAlan_Ellis Member Posts: 4
    We have the companion and have no problems w our max s
    Thanks!  So....you run the companion as a stand-alone, then just plug it in using a 3-prong adaptor into the 26.6 amp receptacle?  
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Some of the State forests in Wisconsin allow generators in their campground, restricted hours, generally 9 am to 4 pm.  I guess, the campgrounds want you to experience the outside without mechanical noise.  They need to work more on enforcement of loud radios!  If, you are in a state campground, nature is what you want to hear, not music or a ballgame.
  • Options
    "If, you are in a state campground, nature is what you want to hear, not music or a ballgame"

Not everybody - In the case of state/county parks, for many (most from my observation) it's just getting away from home, a change in location.
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    correct

John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God