Options

Holding tank discharge extender

I know I've seen someone on here do it before, but can't seem to search the post down.  I have an outback platform and it's a pain to get to the black & gray water discharges to hook up the hose.  Do they make extenders or does someone have some diy photos?  
2016 T@B silver Sofitel/Outback combo, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport TV, Kernersville N.C.

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Yes, a few Outback owners have extended the gray discharge outlet.  Some have even combined it with the black discharge.  Before doing the mod, consider if the new location would create any clearance problems when going off-road.  Personally, I'm trying to figure out a way to raise my gray discharge to create more ground clearance. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2016
    OutbackAZ, that's a good point about raising it. It's the lowest part of the tongue. 

There's no room to actually raise it on ours, but It seems that just moving the gray valve back would help, toward the gray tank (and away from the hitch), closer to the area of the black discharge, .

Could use a quick-disconnect on a solid-pipe extension, which could be stuck on there when it's needed, so it doesn't hang down all the time. The gray valve handle's clearance is a consideration then, being sure that it clears the black drain.

Valterra makes an adapter, in 3" threaded pipe:

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    MrAmazonMrAmazon Member Posts: 61
    Thanks for the quick responses guys!  The people in this forum truly rock
    2016 T@B silver Sofitel/Outback combo, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport TV, Kernersville N.C.
  • Options
    You bet Amazon!  Lots of helpful folks on this forum.  Chan - I was thinking of just using the two inch ABS pipe with a male hose fitting.  This way it would be tucked between the tongue braces.  I would then put a short garden hose to the male end to drain.  I also use a green foam garden mat whenever I'm draining the gray or black pipes (helps with the knees).
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Aha.

Watch out though, the gray water pipe is 1½" on ours, not 2"...
    OutbackAZ said:
    ....  I was thinking of just using the two inch ABS pipe with a male hose fitting.  This way it would be tucked between the tongue braces.  I would then put a short garden hose to the male end to drain. ...

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Thanks Chan.  Looked like 2" from afar.  Another idea was to put a piece of flex hose and extend the valve and drain up into the tongue area.  Secured with Velcro or other strapping.  When time to drain, release the strapping and lower the valve and drain cap.  It's going to be 109 today in Phoenix, so this will be a Fall project!
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    On our black tank ( we added the Platform) we added an "articulating section : that allows us to raise ip up or down. We plane to add a straight piece to extend it a bit closer to the end of the Platform but it will still allow us to raise it up our of the way.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    On our black tank ( we added the Platform) we added an "articulating section : that allows us to raise ip up or down. We plane to add a straight piece to extend it a bit closer to the end of the Platform but it will still allow us to raise it up our of the way.
    Do you have a link or source for that?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Looks like my flex hose idea won't work.  The cross braces between the tongue "V" preclude moving the drain up.  However, it does look like the 1 1/2" ABS can be connected to the 3" ABS and then just have the 3" drain (keeping both valves).  I think someone has already done this and posted some good photos.
  • Options
    It is a Camcorder Rhion Flex 45 or 90 DegreeFLEX connection
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    Sorry Camco. Auto correct got me