Options

solar panel use

We are planning to go out west next July with our new tab camper. How important is it to have a solar panel for eledtric? Are there plenty of rv sites that it isn't absolutly neccesary? We have used our tab many times this year and have not needed one yet.  We love our tab and try using it as often as we can  Thanks for the advise on this site.
Happy 2013 t@b owners Greentown, Ohio

Comments

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    I definitely think you will be able to find sites with electricity, although they may not be rustic or private (and may be more expensive).  Forest Service sites generally do not have electric hookups.  Generally, state parks will have electric hookups and they usually have good, level sites.  I don't think you will have a problem getting an electric site.  If you have propane for your fridge and stove, you can get by without electricity for a night or two if you use a lantern or headlamp for inside lighting.  :D
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited October 2014
    I agree with Wanderoo... But depending on where you plan to travel, July is a popular and busy month in the west and you should either plan out your route and reserve some sites in advance or gear up for those times you can dry camp off the grid.

Solar for me is a balance or additional means of charging up my battery if I am in a spot without electric. I have a dedicated charge line from the vehicle battery back to the plug-in point near my receiver that provides a charge to my battery during travel times.

Think about and estimate your power needs while camping and gauge it before departing on the longer trip as solar panels are expensive.

A Solar panel is basically just a trickle charger for the battery that gathers in sunlight, converts it to electricity and charges up the battery. It is not for everyone and unless you think you will be camping in areas without electric you might not really need a panel or use it enough to justify the investment.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Not sure where you are going, but some USFS campsites have electric. Here us a thread with a review of campgrounds I stayed at in Colorado and the reviews indicate whether there was electricity or not. A lot of state parks have electric at sites, too. They tend to be very well kept campgrounds.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    tphorntphorn Member Posts: 12
    Thanks everyone for your comments.  We have been able to travel so far without solar backup but needed to know more about the western states.  I love to be prepared but solar is an expensive option if not needed. Tom and Patty
    Happy 2013 t@b owners Greentown, Ohio
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Tom,

If your preference is to stay in locations with shore power I would hold off on buying a solar panel as you should be able to find campgrounds along the way and will rarely need a panel, especially if you can live without electric for one night during your travels.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    JanaJana Member Posts: 33
    I just got back from a month in Utah, and am seriously considering adding solar panels.  I prefer to stay in the National Parks, most of the locations I stayed at in Utah did not have electricity.  I connected the car and let it run to charge the battery, which is a lot cheaper, but solar would give even more flexibility.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    tphorn said:
    We are planning to go out west next July with our new tab camper. How important is it to have a solar panel for eledtric? Are there plenty of rv sites that it isn't absolutly neccesary? We have used our tab many times this year and have not needed one yet.  We love our tab and try using it as often as we can  Thanks for the advise on this site.
    It really depends on where you are staying.  If you are going to be doing a lot of boondocking, then it may be a useful addition.  We usually have a site with electric, or are typically on the move a lot, just a day or two at a site, and the TV will charge it as we travel, so it is not an issue.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Jana - I live on solar (traveling full time). Stay as much as possible in national parks of some kind. I rarely have hookups. Solar's expensive so it depends on what type of camping you're doing if it's worth it. Seems all commercial campsites have hookups. Only about a third of the national govt sites have that option from my experience.
  • Options

How many nights of camping will you do?  I just spent 10 days without electricity, using my 80W Zamp panel.  Okay, so since I'm a numbers' person, I will do the math.  At Catalina State Park, they charged $25/night for an electric site.  I chose a non-electric site for $15/night. I saved: $10 nights x 10 nights = $100.  My 80W Zamp panel was approx. $500, high side for comparison (I think I actually got it for $385 from a local dealer at an RV show).  So, at $500 for the Zamp, my break-even point is 50 nights of camping, and the Zamp pays for itself. 

If you boondock more than that at Forest Service campgrounds, BLM lands, or National Parks, solar is the way to go to save $$$.  Totally.  I love the ability to go off-grid.

• Options
    For me and my camping style it was the best investment I made. Other than the T@B itself.
    be aware though that if the campgrounds (or areas) you plan to be are heavily wooded the solar isn't going to do much for ya. I was in tall redwoods for a number of days and didn't bother to even get them out. Had to drag out the generator as the campground didn't have hookups.

• Options
    Good point.  Ah-h-h-h, the numbers' persona in me hasn't figured up the cost for a generator!!!  PXLated, can you do that?  :):):)
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I tend to use sites with no electricity. Have never run out of battery (last year spent 2 1/2 months on road with no issues.  I think pxlated has been out for 4 or 5 months.  I don't have a generator and don't plan on adding (no AC for me, didn't have issue with 3 weeks of 90+ weather, and I don't like AC.) 
  • Options
  • Options
    I agree with Wanderoo... But depending on where you plan to travel, July is a popular and busy month in the west and you should either plan out your route and reserve some sites in advance or gear up for those times you can dry camp off the grid. Solar for me is a balance or additional means of charging up my battery if I am in a spot without electric. I have a dedicated charge line from the vehicle battery back to the plug-in point near my receiver that provides a charge to my battery during travel times. Think about and estimate your power needs while camping and gauge it before departing on the longer trip as solar panels are expensive. A Solar panel is basically just a trickle charger for the battery that gathers in sunlight, converts it to electricity and charges up the battery. It is not for everyone and unless you think you will be camping in areas without electric you might not really need a panel or use it enough to justify the investment.
    Do you have a permanently attached solar panel?  If yes, how did you attach it and what wattage panel do you have?  And how did you route the wiring?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Unisolar permanent mounted 68 watts (2) and third unmounted to augment as needed.  Cable routed through tail lights and in plastic circular container along inside ta@B edge up to electric area underneath vehicle then into T@B.  All wired in parallel.
  • Options
    Thanks.  That was certainly a good deal!  How did you attach them to the roof?
  • Options
    Unisolar came with mastic on it to attach.  
  • Options
    Mash2 - Any idea how much efficiency you loose when they're not pointed directly into the sun? I like the idea of mounted but some reports I've seen say as much as 50%.
  • Options
    mash2 said:
    Unisolar came with mastic on it to attach.  
    Thanks.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Mash2 - Any idea how much efficiency you loose when they're not pointed directly into the sun? I like the idea of mounted but some reports I've seen say as much as 50%.
    Some is better than none, and if it is important, park facing east or west.  But I imagine the roof curvature increases the amount of exposure due to having more than just one angle.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Jana - Parking angle - unless boondocking - is dictated by the campsite layout so you usually don't have a choice of east/west. Or tree cover. As I mentioned, I like the idea but I currently have the option of moving mine to where the sun isn't blocked or to the optimal direction.
  • Options
    Ed & LizaEd & Liza Member Posts: 5

We are considering adding solar for flexibility.

With the CS direction is probably more of an issue and we have found at the majority of spots we've stayed at, that the T@b is small enough to orient the way we want to. Even, completely sideways, so the CS end is facing into the camp site.

It would be fairly simple to adjust the orientation of the T@b to face the sun, I know we did it a few times to provide sun or shade for the pooch.

C/S got it new in 2013 7k miles over 5 weeks give or take
  • Options
    The ease all depends on the campgrounds you inhabit. Wide open space, no problem. Shade trees, not always possible. Been in several where I've seriously thought of ordering an extension cable for my Zamp to get them in the clear.