Options

Installing aluminum platform on tongu

I just bought an aluminum platform for my T@B clamshell and have no idea how to install it. It looks like the tongue box will have to come off and that's where I'm stuck. Does anybody know where I can get directions for this whole procedure? 
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    Definitely not an expert on this and I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in eventually - but looking at my own Outback that came with the platform it seems pretty straight forward. You would need to take the battery/propane box off, install the platform then reinstall the box back on top of the bench. No doubt this would involve drilling new holes for the box - and probably for the platform too. If you have the original curved box I am not familiar with that but as long as the bottom is flat it too would be fastened down on top of the step.
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    We did ours ourself on our Max S.  You do have to take the propane box off. Fairly easy to remove. Be careful with the Zamp electrical  Place the Platform on and then the fun begins. drilling. Make sure you have a powerful drill and if battery operated have a few extra batteries; handy we went tru 4. be CAREFUL of the WIRING ON THE DRIVER SIDE and you may have to remove the Breakaway switch and reinstall.  Make sure BEFORE drilling that the Platform is all the way back ( it fits over the frame;it is also a bit flexible so you may have to wiggle it a bit. ) When in place clamp it and then drill. Took the wife and I about 2 hours.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    diverdorkdiverdork Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the advice. The platform looks like it could only fit in one place because of the brackets that fit over the tongue. Not true? 
  • Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    I think that is true, yes. Not sure if there is any wiggle-room for error but I'm sure you'll be able to see if it's straight and true or not.
  • Options
    We did have to "giggle"ours and twist a bit to get it to slip over the frame and seat but no big problem with 2 people.
    South Carolina
  • Options
    Oh ya make sure you have good bits as the steel was the hardest to get thru
    South Carolina
  • Options
    diverdorkdiverdork Member Posts: 6
    Took me two days of cursing, muttering and sweating, but I got it on. Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    A little oil on the drill bit will make the drilling easier.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014