Options

Mattress pad / cover?

Maybe I'm not good at the search, but I can't figure out what you good folks do to protect the cushions when you are sleeping on them. Like a mattress cover or something, for hot weather sleeping.  I see lots of mods for comfort but the cushions in our 2017 seem pretty darn firm, so I'm not really sure we'll need a memory foam or thermarest.  Thanks for any ideas, or a link to what I should have searched for.
2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
Camping under the Big Sky

Comments

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    This is what we're going with: Big and tall sleeping bag unzipped - it'll tuck down between cushions- rated to 30 degrees, a fitted queen sheet, a fitted sheet and a big and tall sleeping bag rated at 59 degrees for blanket. If it's gonna be a really cold night we'll flip the sleeping bags. 

Like you, I find the cushions perfect for sleeping but my wife wants just a bit of padding. We looked at pads, comforters and everything else but this was an economical, iable solution that stows away easily. 
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    Great idea, thanks
  • Options
    Thanks. The bottom sleeping bag is just a theory until Thanksgiving weekend. And the way it looks I'll have to leave Texas before I have to flip the two sleeping bags or even turn on Alde heat.  This is NOT me bragging about that fact. I'm tired of my air conditioner in the house and the T@B. 
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I'm all theory too.  My new baby is winterized.
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear it. Hopefully in a place you can see it every once in a while. 
  • Options
    leroybortleroybort Member Posts: 61
    We're not small people - he's 6'2" and I'm 5'9" and we're not, ahem, lightweights.  So we found that having an extra layer of comfort/padding was needed.  For now, we have a pad that we bought at Kohl's and I cut into two pieces trimmed to size, inserted in 2 twin duvet covers.  That worked for us this year (our first).  I'm still thinking about what will keep me cool and him warm.  There are lots of great ideas here in the forum.  Gonna try at least one of them.  Good luck and welcome!  We love our T@B.
    Sug@rsh@ck -  2016 Max S Outback, 2016 Nissan Pathfinder.  
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2016
    Gophergrad, I had the exact same dilema as you with the cushions in my 2015.  Just a couple months ago I finally found something affordable to use that wasnt too large to store away. I bought  "Dream Serenity 2" graphite wave matteress topper at Walmart. it claims to have cooling technology. Im by myself so I just bought the twin size. It fits perfectly under the cushion opposite the compartment where the Alde is.   Its still not as soft as I would like but it makes sleeping tolerable. If you buy two twin size toppers you could store one under the cushion and maybe leave the other one in place or out in your tow vehicle during the day.
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    We use two old fashioned Dacron/cotton sleeping bags as a pillow top.  We use queen fitted sheet over the sleeping bags and a top sheet.  We use polar fleece blankets for warmth.  It allows you flexibility in case it gets really cold and the furnace doesn't work.  In the morning we roll it back out of the way and remove the bed slats.  Works great.
    John 

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    I'm happy with this: http://www.mattressinsider.com/custom-size-mattress-topper-sofa-RV-truck-boat.html
    I bought it when they had a sale, but it is excellent quality.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Nice that you can dial in the size you need and thickness you want.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221

I'm happy with the firmness of the cushion in mine, so I just use a standard queen size flat sheet to cover and protect the cushions.  When my spouse travels with me, we use a queen-size 3" memory foam topper that we ordered on Amazon.  It's longer than the bed and folds up at the wall, but is totally workable.  I'll probably cut that corner off at some point to make it lay flatter on the driver's side of the topper.

Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
    I use a 3 inch thick memory foam, it's a California King, fits pretty nice and rolls up nice. It came from Khol's on line. Kinda pricy at regular price but I caught it in sale and it was average priced. We love it! 
  • Options
    WildRumpusWildRumpus Member Posts: 42
    gilbutler, thanks for the recommendation!  I took your advice and ordered a custom made mattress from mattressinsider.com and it's perfect for my CS-S!  It was $149 and I couldn't believe how quickly it arrived at my house. In fact, I literally had the T@B hitched up and ready to emabark out for the weekend, when the FedEx guy showed up with my mattress. Perfect timing. After sleeping on it, I highly recommend it to fellow T@B-ers.  Check it out: 

http://www.mattressinsider.com/custom-size-mattress-topper-sofa-RV-truck-boat.html

Gainesville, FL
  • Options
    You folks are great help, thanks :-)  The wife says we will start with the sleeping bags / fitted sheet idea, but I bookmarked that custom mattress cover site.

• Options
    SandiegogalSandiegogal Member Posts: 127
    gilbutler, thanks for the recommendation!  I took your advice and ordered a custom made mattress from mattressinsider.com and it's perfect for my CS-S!  It was $149 and I couldn't believe how quickly it arrived at my house. In fact, I literally had the T@B hitched up and ready to emabark out for the weekend, when the FedEx guy showed up with my mattress. Perfect timing. After sleeping on it, I highly recommend it to fellow T@B-ers.  Check it out: 

http://www.mattressinsider.com/custom-size-mattress-topper-sofa-RV-truck-boat.html

This is great!  Since this is a custom size, what size did you order?  When I clicked on the link the size quoted is 52" x 72"...is that what you purchased? TIA :)

Living in our Airstream, traveling in our 2017 T@B Basic S 
    Married to Dave-aka, ds@work
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    I ditto the comments about Mattressinsider - I ordered the custom topper as Sandiegogal did (but in the exact size I needed - like a twin but not the typical dimensions) and found the customer service exemplary. I'm super comfortable now!

Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    edited December 2016
    @mickietucs...thanks!  This give us even more confidence in ordering from this company.  Still wondering what "custom" size @WildRumpus   and @gilbutler  ordered as we'll need the same :)

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    WildRrumpus said it was $149, which according to the chart starts at 58x70. Does this help? I don't have a T@B yet to measure...(soon, though!)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    @WildRumpus...didn't think about looking at it that way...great idea!  Thanks :)

• Options
    reeddreedd Member Posts: 61
    I ditto the comments about Mattressinsider - I ordered the custom topper as Sandiegogal did (but in the exact size I needed - like a twin but not the typical dimensions) and found the customer service exemplary. I'm super comfortable now!

I had the same great experience with mattressinsider.com as mickietucs and others did. I ordered a 39" x 70" - 2" Custom Brookside memory foam topper that fits wheel to wheel on the back bench. This is the same width but is a shorter length as a twin size bed.  If the dimensions aren't in the chart on the website, you have to call them with the exact dimensions of your bed. The mattress (cushion) height on my T@B is 5 1/2 " and this is for the elastic straps. 

I think that I'll probably end up ordering one for when the complete bed is set up because it is so comfortable. 
    Deb - 2017 T@B U-basic Outback silver/silver  D@mselfly  
    2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD New Mexico
  • Options
    reeddreedd Member Posts: 61
    Oh, and with the 5% discount, the mattress cost $132.05. 
    Deb - 2017 T@B U-basic Outback silver/silver  D@mselfly  
    2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD New Mexico
  • Options
    denber42denber42 Member Posts: 6
    I was wondering when gilbutler ordered his mattress topper what size did he order for his Tab? I will be getting a new Tab in a couple of months and am trying to get what we will need in advance. Thanks for any information. 
    Debbie D. 
  • Options
    FrancineFrancine Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2017
    Today I  called Mattress Insider to inquire about a custom made topper (2017 T@B - 70x71). They quoted quite high price options: $400 to $539. We are exploring other options. 
  • Options
    EmergencyKenEmergencyKen Member Posts: 29
    Francine said:
    Today I  called Mattress Insider to inquire about a custom made topper (2017 T@B - 70x71). They quoted quite high price options: $400 to $539. We are exploring other options. 
    @Francine I just called and placed my order for a custom 70x73 mattress topper for my 2019 tab 320s. It was the same price as the sizes they had advertised for all others: $179. 
    Cleveland, OH
    2018 Tab 400 
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    Husband, Nurse, Hufflepuff

• Options
    LojocamperLojocamper Member Posts: 30
    With ideas from SAM in this forum, I bought an inexpensive egg crate mattress pad and cut it to size, then slipped it inside a twin duvet cover I found on clearance at Target. The oversized nature of the duvet cover was perfect size for our clamshell mattress. I then sewed a simple bedroll cover ( long piece with bungee cords hemmed on the ends and some Velcro in the middle) which stores easily under the cabinets when not in use.  We use a duvet on top for cold weather and an RV sheet (fitted only at the bottom) for warm weather.
    BreakingAw@y
    Silver/black 2018 T@B 320 CS-S, Outback axle, AT tires
    2012 Dodge Ram Hemi - CO

My Visited North America Map
    Adventures: 7
    States: 21
    Provinces: 5

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Very nice fabric!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    I just got a 2 inch camper queen mattress topper from Amazon but i do put a regular mattress pad over it then sheet-the topper was a couple inches too short so put the short end under the ledge the tv is on-my feet don't reach that far anyhow-a little hard to tuck in the mattress pad but if you use a wooden 1 foot ruler to poke the material in it helps-Kay
  • Options
    George101George101 Member Posts: 48
    Anybody try the mattress topper from mypillow.com?
  • Options
    mrkluebermrklueber Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I ordered the 2" pad from Mattressinsider.com for $139.  We'll see how well it works for my back.
    2019 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock Lite, tv 2015 Chrysler T&C
  • Options
    SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    @George101... I purchased the My Pillow mattress topper a few weeks ago.  My T@B is closed up for the winter, but I've had it on top of home's bed mattress for several nights and I'm very pleased with it.  Didn't like the topper from Mattressinsider.com... too hard.
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle