Options

Alde operating instructions???

This is popped up on one of the FB pages and I'm wondering what those of you who have used your Alde a lot think of these instructions. The OP had called Alde in WA I believe and asked how to work the system. This is his reply.  Discuss.

"Here’s what he said to do:

Do not plug your trailer in until you have done the following

Determine # of amps of the power source

Open your propane tank

Have your control panel set to use BOTH electricity AND propane

Set your control panel at the proper amp setting for your power source

#1 = 15 amp

#2 = 30 amp

#3 = NEVER USE IN THE US!

THEN PLUG YOUR TRAILER INTO THE POWER SOURCE!

He says these settings are the most efficient and economical way to fire up the Alde 3010. This system is brilliant enough to figure out when it needs the propane and when it doesn’t. When it doesn’t need propane, it won’t use it. But, give it a chance to operate the way it was designed to operate."
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I just make sure the Alde is "off" prior to plugging into shore power.  Had an Alde fuse blow once when plugging in with the unit "on."
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The general consensus has been to leave it off untill after you hook up to elec. as OutbackAZ mentions.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Yeah, that's what I thought. I've literally just been turning mine on, didn't know it should be such a production.

What about the bit about turning on both propane and electric and letting the Alde sort it out? Never did that either!
  • Options
    Unless massive quantities of wine are involved, I usually know if I'm going to be on propane or electric and adjust the Alde controls accordingly.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Agreed. Turning things on and off with the plug just doesn't seem like best practice to me.

I assume by "amp setting" he is referring to the lightening bolt settings on both the analog and digital panels. Given that his information is contradictory to Alde's US documentation, I doubt his credibility.

The only grain of truth here is that you should not try to run both electric heating elements (three lightening bolt setting) if you are limited to a 15 amp power source. A 20 amp power source is more than adequate to run everything a US Alde has to offer.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I use the OutbackAZ method.  It never occurred to me to have the propane on for the Alde when on shore power.  To be fair, if I'm using the camper on shore power, I do usually have the propane on for the stove, but I'm boondocking most of the time.  I do keep it on shore power and use the Alde set on low in the driveway while waiting for a weekend trip here or there.  I do not have the propane turned on for that...wonder if I should???
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    I think propane can provide a bit of a boost to the electric heaters under some circumstances, but it hardly seems necessary. If I'm paying for a hook-up, I'm saving my propane!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Photomom, we found that using both the propane and shore power together made for a quicker warm-up when winter camping and it was 5° below.

The  instruction "#3 = NEVER USE IN THE US!" is plumb wrong. I think someone got their info mixed up.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    Photomom, we found that using both the propane and shore power together made for a quicker warm-up when winter camping and it was 5° below.
    There is something wrong here ^^^^^ and it AIN'T the Alde instructions!
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    Yeah, that's what I meant by "under some circumstances" in my previous post--and I'm pretty sure that is a circumstance I will not be under!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I'm absolutely, 100% sure I won't.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I can safely say that I won't be in THAT cold of temps camping either! :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Well, this is why I get my info here - the FB people are going to make a YT video to demonstrate the above procedure so everyone can follow it. 
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588

Photomom said:
    Well, this is why I get my info here - the FB people are going to make a YT video to demonstrate the above procedure so everyone can follow it. 
    Oh those clever "FB people". :)
    Just remember you can't believe everything you see on Facebook. B)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    We make our best attempt to make sure the information on this forum is accurate.

Note to newcomers:  the list entered by here is from a Facebook site and does not agree with the instructions given by the NuCampRV/Pleasant Valley factory, nor that given by the Alde manual. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    We make our best attempt to make sure the information on this forum is accurate.

Note to newcomers:  the list entered by here is from a Facebook site and does not agree with the instructions given by the NuCampRV/Pleasant Valley factory, nor that given by the Alde manual. 
    Which is why I asked for feedback here! I trust you guys :-)
  • Options
    Thank you, @Photomom !
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Seriously, everything I know about my T@B I learned here!
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221

I learned tons here too...and was surprised at what the dealer did not know.

Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    Smullis7 said:

I learned tons here too...and was surprised at what the dealer did not know.

Yeah, mine said the Alde control panel was a clock ... And the Alde exhaust was a refrigerator vent. 

• Options
    At least mine didn't give me any false information - just hooked me up, handed me the keys/manuals and wished me luck.
  • Options
    If I wanted to go back to work I'd definitely look into a T@B dealership - I'd make a killing. 
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Photomom said:
    If I wanted to go back to work I'd definitely look into a T@B dealership - I'd make a killing. 

Okay, now I'm a little concerned with what will happen when my T@b arrives in the next two weeks. What I have learned from this forum will help immensely when I pick it up. I have lots of questions prepared thanks to all of you!  :-)

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    dmerzbac - My dealer was a bunch of very nice guys. Was just they were a sales outfit and didn't know much at all about the workings of the T@B. But, I didn't find it hard to figure it all out and relyed on the forum so all worked out well.
  • Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    edited April 2017
    Today, getting our T@B de-winterized and ready for a trip, everything was going well until I plugged in the Alde power cord, no power, nothing.  Hoping it was just a fuse.  Thankfully it was 1 glass fuse in the green container on top of the Alde.  Thankfully I purchased extra 3.15A fuses. Now it works great .  So just a suggestion if you haven't purchased extra Adle glass fuses, you probably need to.  I did everything right, turning Alde off, unplugging Alde, and it still blew a fuse.  
  • Options
    Are you unplugging the Alde power cord under the driver side seat cushion? 
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I don't have much experience with the T@B, yet, but I will say with all of my other RVs I've owned, before I plug it into shore power, I make sure EVERYTHING is turned off.  Then I plug in and wait a few seconds, then start turning things on.  I have never blown a fuse.  One other thing - if there is a circuit breaker in the fuse box that kills all power to the T@B, I would also turn that off, plug in, then turn on the circuit breaker that powers the T@B.  Again, I haven't experienced plugging in with my T@B, yet, but this is how I have powered all other RVs I've owned.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    Yes, I did unplug the Alde power cord under the seat cushion, after turning off at the digital display I sure would have thought that would have prevented it, It just must be very sensitive, or was just ready to break.. the one thing I didn't do was the main breaker inside the T@B, (turning off after I turn off at display and unplugging? would this be the correct sequence? when unplugging shore power,) I will start do this in future before first plugging in to shore power then again when unplugging from shore power, It would probably help all devises in the T@B.  As for the main breaker, there are 4 in a row, is it all of them, or is it the farthest left?  Thanks.
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Note that it won't do any good to unplug the Alde's 120v connector, as it's unrelated to the fuses on the Alde.  The plugged power simply provides juice to the two 950w elements in the tank, if the Alde's controls ask for it.  In fact you could leave it unplugged if you only use propane, with no ill effects.

I'm seeing patterns here of those little green fuses blowing.  It seems more of a problem with those with the newer digital control panel.  It could be that you can't fully power off the Alde with the panel, in the same way you can with the manual controls.  Just a hypothesis at this point however.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Knock on wood, I blew three Alde glass fuses when I had the manual thermostat, and none with the digital thermostat. I've had the digital thermostat longer than I had the manual one. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN