Options

Where do you put your CPAP machine when you sleep and do you secure it in some way?

TaBulatedTaBulated Member Posts: 24
I've been reading the forum a lot b/c we are getting our new 2017 T@B Max in February, YAY!!  I've searched for discussions specifically on CPAP machines. The question I have has not been addressed in any of the forum discussions I've read. That is, where do you place your CPAP and do you secure it in some way?  Since I don't have my T@B yet I can only guess from pictures. Our model is the U. It has no bathroom but has a 70" x73" bed. People usually sleep with their head at the back of the trailer and feet toward the TV. In the U model there is a little shelf that runs from one side of the head of the bed to the other. Do you know if this shelf wide enough to hold a Resmed S9 CPAP machine? Mine has a humidifier and I'm afraid that if I accidentally pull it off the shelf into the bed it will get the sheets and mattress wet.  
2017 T@B Max U
TV: 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
David & Barb - Edmond, OK

Comments

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    We have a 2007 t@b with the larger bed and the "L" shaped kitchen where the stove is above the coolcat AC.  We usually sleep with our heads towards the door and our feet to the back so that when we sit up we do not bang our heads on the cabinets in the back.  So I think we sleep the opposite direction as you described.

Regarding the ResMed S9 CPAP, I have and use the exact same machine.  I put the machine on the counter right by the stove.  I purchased the 12V power supply for the machine as it is far more energy efficient while boondocking.  I have also added a 12V outlet on the side of the cabinet in the back so that it is close to where I plug in the machine.  I do use the humidifier while camping as well.  If you plan on boondocking, you will find that you need to manage your power consumption.  I find it pulls about 15-20 amps @12Vper night for the combined use of the CPAP and our 12V fridge.  I usually have the humidifier set at 3.5 and require about 5-10lbs of air pressure.  Resmed has charts on power consumption and they are overstated amounts.  We boondock as often as we can.  I have switched to 2 6 volt golf cart batteries (225 AH), Trimetric battery meter, and solar power.  Power management is a whole different discussion.  I do not leave the CPAP up while not sleeping.  I set it in the back of the camper during the day and in the case while travelling. 

Have fun, it is certainly doable.

John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    Thank you John, very helpful information. If we slept in our U model, as you do in your L, with our heads toward the door, then I could place the CPAP on the little shelf/platform the "U" has which is over the Air conditioner. This shelf is where the bathroom is on T@Bs with bathrooms. It is about the height of and end table. 

Also, helped to hear how you manage the power. Is your 12V power supply what they call an inverter that you plug into the cigarette plug in the TV? I have a lot to learn about electric, batteries and all the power stuff. Neither my husband or I are very mechanical. I've read some discussions but a lot of it is still Greek to me. 

I would love to add 2 6 volt golf cart batteries but will have a lot to learn about how to do that. Jenn Grover has a video on doing that I plan to use as a guide when we get to that point. 
    Thanks again
    2017 T@B Max U
  • Options
    Nope, an inverter is exactly what you want to stay away from.  It consumes 30℅ more power to take 12v turn it into 120v AC and back to 24 V DC.  This is what you want.
    http://www.cpap.com/productpage/DC-Converter-For-S9-Machines.html
    It is 12/24 volts automatically switch to correct voltage.  No need to do anything other than plug it into the 12v  cigarette lighter outlet and the other end into your CPAP and sleep.  Don't be in a big hurry to do a lot of upgrades right away.  Jkjenn and I share similar setups for power management.  I don't have any videos however.
    Happy new year!
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    Thanks again John. I had no idea I needed a converter for the CPAP. When I was reading discussions on the forum about CPAPs, someone posted a link to the cpap.com site. In that discussion there was a reference to a converter but I had no idea which item was the right one so your link clears that up. Thank you so much. I will buy it and add it to the long list of things we are buying that are no frill essentials - cha ching, cha ching!

I've read enough of the forum to know not to rush into buying too many things. I'm going off of Jenn's list for the essentials.  We don't have any plans for modifications or updates right away but eventually we would like to boondock. Most likely we will buy a Honda 2000 generator. Probably not solar b/c although we live in Oklahoma we plan to travel a lot in the north, especially in the wooded areas (much cooler in the summer than OK). 
    2017 T@B Max U
  • Options
    John I was re-reading your comment and realized I had another question. You said,
    "No need to do anything other than plug it into the 12v  cigarette lighter outlet and the other end into your CPAP and sleep."

Again, since we don't have 
    possession of the T@B yet I can't go out and look inside of it. Where is the 12v cigarette lighter that I plug into. Is there one inside the T@B or do I somehow have a long long cord that goes to the cigarette lighter in the car or did you buy a battery pack from the cpap.com site? I've read the users manual for this converter on the cpap.com website and it was not clean, it just said to plug into the cigarette lighter socket.  Thank you for your help.

2017 T@B Max U
  • Options
    The device is another power supply not a converter.  It looks just like the AC power supply only for 12.  I added my outlets, I would check with the factory if there is one in the new builds.  It would not cost too much to add now or you can add one yourself later.  The t@b has a converter - a device that will charge the battery when plugged in to 110 Volt AC and convert AC to 12V .  This is in the driver's side wheel well.  You can tie in there. Obviously it is easiest to do when it is being built.
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    Thanks John. It will have to be something we add later. The T@B we are getting in February is already built but the dealer is holding it for us to pick up in Feb. b/c prior commitments in January prevent us from going an getting it till Feb.  I'll do some research to see if I can figure out how to add a power source later down the line.  We are camping 3 nights in the town where the dealer is so we can make sure everything is working properly. Then, as we drive back we will be staying each night in campgrounds with full hook-ups so we should not be running out of battery power on this trip.  But adding more power so we can boondock is certainly a priority.  I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

2017 T@B Max U
  • Options
    You're welcome.  The newer t@bs are very nicely made and you might be surprised to find it already has what you need. 

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    We have a clamshell without a bath and sleep wheel to wheel. Hubby places his on the "nightstand" above the Coolcat. When I bring mine, it goes in the passthrough cabinets with the cord going to the kitchen, and the hose coming out into the cabin. We plug into regular outlets as we always have power. However, my hubby's CPAP does have a 12 volt cord that we ordered off of CPAP.com. He uses it often in the truck taking a nap while I drive.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Thanks Mouseketab. We pick up our T@B U model in Feb and I will probably decide then which is best. The U model has a "nightstand" above the Alde heater (I think it is the heater??). I also have the option (I think, I'll now for sure when I see it) to use the shelf that goes from wheel to wheel in the back of the T@B.  We will sleep either feet toward the back with heads toward the kitchen area (in which case I'll use the nightstand) or sleep with our heads toward the back and feet toward the kitchen. In that case I'll use the shelf. I guess we have to see it first. It does help to know what people are doing though.
    2017 T@B Max U
  • Options
    TulsaTimeTulsaTime Member Posts: 21
    I use a CPAP machine and Do Not Use The Humidifier without the Fantastic Fan on or the windows open!  Use a heated hose.  Humidity has been a concern even without the humidifier.
  • Options
    Are you saying is two people sleeping can cause the windows to fog up?

If that's the case then adding the CPAP humidifier probably does make it worse. I would not have thought of that. Guess I won't worry about packing distilled water when we drive it home from the dealer in February.
    2017 T@B Max U
  • Options
    I use the humidifier while boondocking.  I turn the heat level down to like 68 degrees.  I think the heated hose and heat for the humidifier causes the most drain on the battery.  I have added a polar fleece hose cover to mitigate the need for higher temperature for the heated hose and heat loss.  I also like the way the fleece feels on my skin over the plastic of the hose.  Each of us has our own sleep needs.  For me, when I slept without the humidifier, I would get a nasty sore throat.  Much of my problem is with my nose plugging up and forcing me to breath through my mouth.  The use of the humidifier prevents the nose from plugging up.  We do not have much problem with condensation.  A lot depends on how cold it is outside. 
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    jcfaber1, I love my CPAP humidifier too b/c I get a stuffy nose leading to mouth breathing and dry mouth and throat too. Glad to hear you have not had much of a problem with condensation. I'll try your tips of turning down the heat level and looking for a fleece tube cover. Helpful tips. Thank you
    2017 T@B Max U
  • Options
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    My wife and I both use CPAPs. We set them on the shelf that's behind the bed and under the rear cabinets. (S Model) We sleep with our heads to the back and feet to the front (door.) When camping without hookups, we use a Yeti Goal Zero 400 battery to power them at night. We fill the water tanks of the machines, but we do not turn the heaters of the CPAPs on. When camping with the heat on at night, the radiant heat from the Aldi keeps the water in the CPAPs warm. While traveling, we empty the water tanks, leave the bed down and just set the machines on the cushions. While traveling, I plug the Goal Zero into the car's 12v outlet. Or, I plug it into our Honda 1000 generator for a couple of hours and it's ready for another night or two. 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    jcfaber1 said:
    I used to use a cpap and my old cat would attack the hose like it was a snake. UGH! Duct tape to the rescue, but it was getting ridiculous. So I got one of these snuggie things for the hose. Worked great!! Until the old cat though the wrapped hose was purring at her and was warm too, so she'd lay on it LOL. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    So I bought a CPAP cover. Thanks for the link. I will enjoy using it at home too. I've Ratkity when I was reading reviews on CPAP covers there were a lot of folks who said their cats attacked and chewed holes in their CPAP tubes. They are just born hunters even killing CPAP tubes :)

kybob, like you and your wife, I'm thinking at least for our first trip in February when we bring our new T@B back home from the dealer we will leave our bed set up. We will be camping for 3 days at a state park with hook-ups near the dealer to make sure everything is working and that we have no questions but then we will drive home 1,300 miles -yes, I think we're crazy too. Oh for the love of a T@B. Anyhow, we will spend 3 days traveling home so it will be 3 nights of overnight camping and moving on in the morning. Our camper will be winterized so we will stay at RV parks with hookups so we can use our space heater and my CPAP. It is good to know the CPAP machine travels well just placed on the bed (with no water in it of course). I'm going to look into the Yeti Goal Zero 400 b/c we will want to add more power sources eventually. 
    Thanks to all for all the good suggestions, helps me feel more confident.
    2017 T@B Max U
  • Options
    The few times we both used our CPAPs, the weather was cold, and I do use my humidifier, hubby does not. I noticed some condensation on the inside of the clam on the ribs. Our CPAPs travel in plastic drawers among our clothes.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    I've experimented recently with not using the humidifier and my mouth and throat got so dry it kept waking me up so I think I'll need the humidifier. At least on this trip back with the T@B we will be staying each night at RV campgrounds with hookups so I won't be depleting the battery. I'll have to look for condensation to see if it is a problem. 

Mouseketab, you said you "saw some condensation on the inside of the clam on the ribs".  Are you referring to the outside kitchen with the hatch? What are the ribs? I assume they are wooden supports. So I guess the extra humidity/moisture given off by the CPAP went through the wall into the kitchen hatch area - is that what you think?

2017 T@B Max U
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I believe it is also weather related to have condensation inside.  I've seen the inside very wet, even dripping on me.  One morning in Arizona there was a very heavy dew outside.  I looked at the ceiling and saw not only dew but water saturated the beautiful ceiling wood.  Mostly around the fantastic fan (which was closed) and along the corners of the ceiling.  There was a stripe of condensation at each location where the ceiling joists (ribs) touched the ceiling.  Fortunately as the day warmed up the marks went completely away.

• Options
    TaBulated said:
    I've experimented recently with not using the humidifier and my mouth and throat got so dry it kept waking me up so I think I'll need the humidifier. At least on this trip back with the T@B we will be staying each night at RV campgrounds with hookups so I won't be depleting the battery. I'll have to look for condensation to see if it is a problem. 

Mouseketab, you said you "saw some condensation on the inside of the clam on the ribs".  Are you referring to the outside kitchen with the hatch? What are the ribs? I assume they are wooden supports. So I guess the extra humidity/moisture given off by the CPAP went through the wall into the kitchen hatch area - is that what you think?

The humidity doesn't go through walls  An air-conditioning man told me that condensation clings to the warm side if things.  As I understand it, if you have a humid and warm condition on one side and cold on the other; the moist air will condense into condensation where the cold meets the warm. There is no leak, its the same principle ad the windshield of your car.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    TaBulated said:

Yes, as I said, that trip where we were both using our CPAPs, mine was in the clamshell passthrough cabinet, and the cabinet doors were open a bit on both sides of the cabinet. The kitchen hatch "ribs" inside the hatch are metal, and I noticed condensation appearing on the inside of the hatch in that pattern.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Ok, thank you for clarifying.  Soon we'll be picking up our new T@B. We will camp in a state campground near the dealer and then driving home winterized. It will be pretty cold at night coming home so we'll be breaking the T@B in (and ourselves) with winter camping. Very exciting!!
    2017 T@B Max U