Getting Groceries on the Road With My Dog

I'm planning out some trips with my dog in my newly purchased (though not new) T@B. I've driven cross country a few times in a vehicle, staying in KOA Kamping Kabins. I cook my own food and never, ever eat out. I've found getting fresh produce and groceries on the road to be a challenge as I don't like to leave my dog alone in the vehicle in a strange place while I shop, and also not being able to leave my dog in a vehicle at all when it's 109 degrees in West Texas, for instance.

I think I've hit upon a possible solution, which I'm eager to put to the test. Walmart now has an online store for groceries. I would put in the zip code of where I'm at or where I plan to be the next day. The site will find the nearest Walmart that offers this. I can click on all kinds of produce and other grocery items, add them to the cart, and then pay with a debit card and indicate when I'll swing by to pick them up. I would just drive up with my T@B behind me, and my doggie beside me, and voila! fresh food in the house.

Kind of excited about this.
Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
"Travels With The Tiny"

Comments

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Let us know how that works.
    Now, if Amazon would just hurry up with their drone deliveries :-)
  • marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378

This should work. There are other grocery stores around here (Krogers, Albertsons) that offer a similar service and we've used it from time to time with great success. Fact is, I'm thinking this may be the very best way to shop for groceries ALL the time. I never thought about using it on the road like that. Good thinking!!

Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Would you still have to go inside or will they bring things out?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    What I often do is leave my vehicle running, locked, with the air conditioner on, so I can leave the dog in the car. I carry a spare key in my wallet so I can get out with the car running. Sometimes it's difficult depending on the model of the car to lock it while it's running, but I found that using the key usually works.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Photomom, if you're asking me, they bring it to your car. You pull into the parking spots designated for it and call the phone number. They bring it right out and load it up. As Me and My Dog says, you usually order a day before and they let you know what time the order will be ready. And the frozen food is still frozen and refrigerated food still refrigerated, so they must have places they keep it when waiting.
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2017
    One thing about Walmart, they aime to please and they are literally everywhere. IMHO a true American success story.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Interesting idea. I just checked a bunch of zip codes of areas we camped last summer, nada. Is this being rolled out in limited areas first?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    Photomom said:
    Interesting idea. I just checked a bunch of zip codes of areas we camped last summer, nada. Is this being rolled out in limited areas first?
    Yes, from what I understand they are rolling it out gradually. I understand Sam's Club does the same thing, as well as other markets. 
    "Travels With The Tiny"
    Some Kroger's do this too. It looks like they have more of what I want than does Walmart.

"Travels With The Tiny"
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I have done some compassion shopping and found dead pick up prices to be much higher at both Walmart and our local Giant Eagle.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

jkjenn said:
    I have done some compassion shopping and found dead pick up prices to be much higher at both Walmart and our local Giant Eagle.
    Jenn, what are "compassion shopping" and "dead pick up" prices?
    "Travels With The Tiny"
    edited January 2017
    I think Walmart car service is free. Where available. Unless you would like to tip.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    I did try it out and my experience was excellent! I believe it's free if you spend more than $35 or $50. I read on the website that the "personal shopper" who calls you to tell you your order is ready, and then brings out your order when you arrive, is not allowed to accept tips. I felt like rich person somehow, getting the specific items I ordered loaded into my car. My only beef is that every single item (except multiples of the same item) was in its own bag. No, no, no. As I was loading right into cooler bags, I actually needed no plastic bags. Next time I'll make that request.
    "Travels With The Tiny"
    edited January 2017
    jkjenn said:
    Ha...so much for autocorrect. I compared regular in store prices to pick-up. Pick-up prices were noticeably higher.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    I remember being in the US in the mid-late 1990s and using a service called WebVan.  They would actually walk into your house and start putting stuff in your fridge and freezer... ack! (I have a bit of OCD about organising cabinets and the fridge).  They seemed to think I was crazy when I would say "No, please just leave it here".  :)

It's odd that the pickup prices are higher.  Maybe they don't reflect local store sales?  (i.e. go off the central database for all of that brand of shop?). 

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

HR_Taly said:
    I remember being in the US in the mid-late 1990s and using a service called WebVan.  They would actually walk into your house and start putting stuff in your fridge and freezer... ack! (I have a bit of OCD about organising cabinets and the fridge).  They seemed to think I was crazy when I would say "No, please just leave it here".  :)

It's odd that the pickup prices are higher.  Maybe they don't reflect local store sales?  (i.e. go off the central database for all of that brand of shop?). 
    Oh, that's hilarious! I can't even imagine someone putting stuff away for me.
    "Travels With The Tiny"

jkjenn said:
    jkjenn said:
    Ha...so much for autocorrect. I compared regular in store prices to pick-up. Pick-up prices were noticeably higher.
    LOL! I thought maybe you were a vegan, thus compassion shopping! I didn't know about the higher prices. Good to know!
    "Travels With The Tiny"
    I would doubt if Walmart prices are any different than the in store prices. Put I can see the need for a minimum. Sound reasonable. I really like Walmart. They find a need and fill it a fair price.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    I use 3-4 items, generally for price comparison, One of which is the Starkist premade tuna salad. It is .99 in the store at every Walmart from here to Colorado, that I have visited. Online it was $1.99, which is what my local grocery store charges. Today, it is on sale, online. I eat a lot of this tuna for lunch, so I keep track of prices. If I buy 10 of these (which I often do) I save $10, alone on just this by running into Walmart.

jkjenn said:
    I use 3-4 items, generally for price comparison, One of which is the Starkist premade tuna salad. It is .99 in the store at every Walmart from here to Colorado, that I have visited. Online it was $1.99, which is what my local grocery store charges. Today, it is on sale, online. I eat a lot of this tuna for lunch, so I keep track of prices. If I buy 10 of these (which I often do) I save $10, alone on just this by running into Walmart.
    Then that's what you should do.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    jkjenn said:
    Jenn, are you referring to Tuna Creations? https://www.walmart.com/ip/StarKist-Tuna-Creations-Tuna-Variety-Pack-2.6-oz-4-count/40711460

"Travels With The Tiny"
    jkjenn said:
    Jenn, are you referring to Tuna Creations? https://www.walmart.com/ip/StarKist-Tuna-Creations-Tuna-Variety-Pack-2.6-oz-4-count/40711460

No - it's the Lunch to Go Original Deli Style. Today, online, my local Walmart shows it on sale. The point is, just keep an eye on prices. we all know that there is no free lunch. It might be worth it to not have to leave your dog in a hot vehicle, just know what you are getting into.

• clinckclinck Member Posts: 57
    Great advise...I'm in
    Chris and Toby, the wonder dog
    2014 320S
    2016 kia Sorrento SXL V6
  • wanderingchickof66wanderingchickof66 Member Posts: 18
    Amazon Fresh delivered to my friends rental house on their vacation.  I would think they would deliver to a campground if the campground would agree to it. Amazon lets you pick the time of delivery. I just looked at the site and decided it was too expensive for home delivery but might be nice for camping. Don't necessarily want to take time some days to grocery shop.  
    Pam - Blandon, PA
    2015 T@B CS-S (Miss Daisy) towed by a 2014 GMC Acadia