Options

Tapping "Reverse Light 12v Power"

This may seem a bit overkill but I'll risk it... I'm trying to install a backup Camera on my brand new 2015 S. I see myself backing our new companion by myself and already find myself needing to "see" behind the trailer. 

If I am successful I'll share my "solution with the group

As you likely know ,the T@B has no reverse lights but the seven pin connector taps power Reverse light power from my TV. What I need to know is where the 12v reverse light power terminates in the tab and what color is the lead?

Anyone?
Frank

Comments

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    I have been thinking of installing a rear view camera too.  They have one that fastens onto the licence plate mounting bolts and is powered by the licence plate light light.  This would be useful for seeing traffic behind while driving as well as reversing.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    FrankonsandFrankonsand Member Posts: 19

That description fits the one I have. (Tada Wireless)  I wish to use the backup light power as I don't want the camera broadcasting  (its wireless back to the monitor in the TV) whenever there is power to the taillights (or license plate light). I could use the taillight or license plate power and just turn off the monitor in the truck so I am not distracted while not backing up, but prefer not to broadcast a wireless signal needlessly as it could cause radio uinterference...) 

I could easily get the wire from the camera to the wiring area near the fuse box. I just don't know where the "backup light power" terminates or if it enters the trailer envelope at all. I'd hate to run a second wire back to the TV...

• Options
    bigmattbigmatt Member Posts: 31
    On a 7 wire rv plug,reverse is your center pin
    If you take your plug at your trailer,take that apart and check the color of the wire,there is a chance there is not a wire hooked to it in the back of the plug. The cable coming from that plug may only be a 6 wire cable, in that case you will need to run a separate wire to that center post.
  • Options

I was hoping they ran a full Seven Wire Harness back inside. I fear taking the trailer end (female side) apart will be a problem. I will run out tomorrow and see if I can get into the plug. Thanks for the tip.

If the lead is terminated at the TV,(trailer plug sealed with no way in),   I'll use the license plate lead and just turnoff the monitor so I am not distracted when not backing up.

• Options
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    The pictures I've seen show it as a yellow wire.
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Frankonsand - Could you post a pic or some info on that license plate backup camera - Haven't needed one so far but could come in handy at some point - Thanks
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I am curious if the wireless signal will reach from the rear of the T@B to the front of the TV. I was thinking of doing something similar but wondered if the range was good enough.
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    Frankonsand - I'd vote for the license plate lead. I know when I had a 36.5' motorhome that backup camera came in handy in passing situations to verify I'd cleared the passed vehicle, and also to check if our convoy was in place. I'd just leave the monitor off until I was in a situation where I thought I might need it.

- gcw
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    Here is a link to a wireless backup camera that will transmit to an iPhone or Android.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Mawebb- I tried a little test. I hooked the camera up to the tab battery siting inside my shop on one of my work benches. I then hooked the yada wireless monitor up to the tv and got a picture of my shop. The camera was about 18 feet away from the monitor/ receiver. I then backed down the driveway, got about 50 feet away before the picture momentarily disappeared. I backed to about 60 feet away before I lost the signal entirely.... My guess, the wireless transmission won't be a problem..
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Here's a plug diagram if this is what you are looking for....

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options