Options

Retractable screen door

We have a 2014 cs-s. Want to purchase a retractable screen door. Wondering if anyone has bought one, and if so, from where?  

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    As I recall, several people have ordered them from LG - For some T@B models it took a slight mod to a cabinet door (a notch) but otherwise worked fine.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Call Elsie at Pleasant Valley - $139 + shipping. Great door!
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    The door from LG is great, but installing it into our 2014 was a much bigger job than I anticipated.

The wall on ours isn't straight ('plumb'), and the doorway on our Tab is a bit wider than the screen door is, so I had to install a 'framework' of 1"x1/2" aluminum stock.

I'm very glad we have it now, but I recommend you look it over before you commit! 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    driftlessdriftless Member Posts: 135
    I installed the door on our 2014 Q it was a breeze to install.  LG has a shorter door front for the lower cabinet so no cutting is needed.  Cost of the door was $25.
    Happy Trails,
    Phil & Anita - Driftless: 2018 T@B 400/2015 Ford Explorer 

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I installed one on a 2007 Dutchman Clamshell. I had to move my upper cabinet doors over just a bit. I was only able to secure it with the top two corner screws and the two screws in the floor, so the sides are not attached with the "bars", but it is still very secure.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    I am very interested in installing a screen door in my 2007 DM T@B. I keep reading about people moving over cabinets. I don't know what that means. Where would one move them? I know that Pleasant Valley products do not come with instructions, so I wouldn't' even know where to start. Here is the interior of my T@B. Does this look like it could accommodate a screen door? Thank you!
    Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,450
    Katt, LV/PV T@Bs have a retractable accordion screen that sits in a rectangular frame that is attached to the inside of the main door frame. (You can see part of it in the stock photo below.)

I'm just guesstimating, but it looks like you might not have quite enough room to accommodate the frame to the left of your door without modifying at least the cabinet doors and maybe the edge of the counter top. Maybe someone whose T@B isn't sleeping under six feet of snow can provide you with the exact width of the frame!

2015 T@B S

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited February 2017
    I am very interested in installing a screen door in my 2007 DM T@B. I keep reading about people moving over cabinets. I don't know what that means. Where would one move them? I know that Pleasant Valley products do not come with instructions, so I wouldn't' even know where to start. Here is the interior of my T@B. Does this look like it could accommodate a screen door? Thank you!
    It's likely you can size down the width of the stock PV screen door frame to fit as long as you don't mind a narrower door opening.
    There are also custom screen door sources like this one: https://www.metroscreenworks.com/retractable-screen-doors-1/
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    Katt, LV/PV T@Bs have a retractable accordion screen that sits in a rectangular frame that is attached to the inside of the main door frame. (You can see part of it in the stock photo below.)

I'm just guesstimating, but it looks like you might not have quite enough room to accommodate the frame to the left of your door without modifying at least the cabinet doors and maybe the edge of the counter top. Maybe someone whose T@B isn't sleeping under six feet of snow can provide you with the exact width of the frame!

OK, now I understand! I didn't realize it was a rectangular frame that was bigger than the opening. I was thinking it was rounded somehow and fit inside the opening. Not good with physics! Thank you!

"Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options

It's likely you can size down the width of the stock PV screen door frame to fit as long as you don't mind a narrower door opening.
    There are also custom screen door sources like this one: https://www.metroscreenworks.com/retractable-screen-doors-1/
    Great. Excellent suggestion to think outside the box. I will mull this over. Much appreciated!
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    I looked at this idea at T@BAzona and it would only require shaving about 1/4" off of my right cabinet door to accomodate the thickness of the screen door. Visually I don't think it would be noticable. May be a summertime mod for me. 
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited February 2017
    I looked at this idea at T@BAzona and it would only require shaving about 1/4" off of my right cabinet door to accommodate the thickness of the screen door. 

You sure your inside doorway looks like Me_and_My_Dog's 2007 DM photo?

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    elgolfoelgolfo Member Posts: 22
    Me and my dog,the photo of your door on your 2007 dm is different from mine,there is no door to the right of the the 3 way fridge with mine,if you have the  the long vertical small door to the right of your fridge like your picture you will have to do some different  modifications. . I  just finished installing the sliding screen door in my 2007 dm,only had to cut 1/4" of the upper and lower doors.I did not have the long vertical door to the side of the fridge,I did remove the fridge doors during the install to make it easier.If you ever come to Sedona,az will help you install.
    "
    2007 t@b,no mods at all,2013 Jeep jk 4 door,Sedona,Az and El Golfo de Santa Clara,Sonora,Mexico,
    Tim & Jill
  • Options
    elgolfo said:
    Me and my dog,the photo of your door on your 2007 dm is different from mine,there is no door to the right of the the 3 way fridge with mine,if you have the  the long vertical small door to the right of your fridge like your picture you will have to do some different  modifications. . I  just finished installing the sliding screen door in my 2007 dm,only had to cut 1/4" of the upper and lower doors.I did not have the long vertical door to the side of the fridge,I did remove the fridge doors during the install to make it easier.If you ever come to Sedona,az will help you install.
    "
    Wow! Thank you for the offer to help me install a screen door. Very nice. I have a two-way fridge, so it's smaller than the 3-way. I will probably have to order the door and then figure out what needs to be done. I cannot live without a screen door as I'm a mosquito magnet. Thanks again.
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,450
    elgolfo makes a good point about the tall door to the right of the fridge. Even if you cut it down to accommodate the screen frame, you still may not be able to properly open it. The upper and lower doors swing directly up or down, so they should work fine with a simple trim.

In the interim, you might consider adapting something like this from Amazon:

Magic Bug Screen Magnetic Screen Door Mesh Curtain, 39x83-Inch

There's certainly nothing magic about it, but it would keep some of the skeeters out while you engineer the installation of the real door!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    elgolfo makes a good point about the tall door to the right of the fridge. Even if you cut it down to accommodate the screen frame, you still may not be able to properly open it. The upper and lower doors swing directly up or down, so they should work fine with a simple trim.

In the interim, you might consider adapting something like this from Amazon:

Magic Bug Screen Magnetic Screen Door Mesh Curtain, 39x83-Inch

There's certainly nothing magic about it, but it would keep some of the skeeters out while you engineer the installation of the real door!
    I have the one you reference at home and it's super nice. I actually wanted a magnetic screen door for the T@B so that my dog could come and go at will. I may just rig this up as my permanent solution, as I saw someone else did. The magnetic screen in this image doesn't look as nice as the one you suggest above. But it looks like they created a narrow frame to attach it to. Here in the South, I'd say a screen is needed pretty much 100 percent of the time, so having a screen that could retract for anything other than entering and closing is not that important.

"Travels With The Tiny"