Options

Custom Awning? Please Post with Pictures!

I looked to see if I could find any previous discussions on this, but couldn't find one.

I'm not crazy about the current 'awning or tent' offerings.  I'm thinking about making my own.  If you have pictures, would you please post or present ideas. 

Thanks!
M@rilyn
Previous 2017 T@B S owner... c'est l@ vie
But still passionate about the brand!

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,501
    Search 'Visor-homemade or improvised' or JKJenn. Her mom made one for her and there are pics of other peoples visor mods. Also Dalehelman posted this week that he purchased the awning pole through Amazon. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    marilyncpmarilyncp Member Posts: 117
    Thanks!!
    M@rilyn

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ya, Jenn has a custom one to match her color scheme - It's patterned after the VisorXL though.
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    I want to sit and enjoy the outdoors in the sun or the rain, but find the current visor lacking and awning not to my liking.
    I have an idea for a screened porch for the T@B I was going to approach PahaQue about making as a custom job.
    It would be a hybrid arched visor/awning with three poles. Two long poles that arch from the keder rail out and over to the ground, plus an arched entrance pole between those poles. It would operate like a visor/awning with removable screens. There would be 3 screens (front and sides) plus a back wall skirt that drops to the ground. No floor. Basically a T@B portico with option to screen it in. It would be sturdy and wind-resistant, anchored at the side handles and optionally staked in front at each pole end.
    Now I need to find some way to sketch this idea on a iPad or PC. Anyone got suggestions on an app?
    If not, I guess graph paper and pencil will have to do. ;)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    I saw her awning... it's very nice.  The problem I have with the "visors" on the Teardrop Shop is they are gray and a color... I'm white and blue. Plus some people have complained that they can't open their door all the way with the visor on because of the way it sits on the Kedar rail, therefore I think I will go ahead and try this myself with my current LaPuta awning where it will sit a little higher so I can open my door all the way.  Summer is coming and I want my door to stay open. 

Thanks, all... But if anyone wants to add something more, feel free.  Love all the advice!
    M@rilyn

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Many of us with the XLvisor and/or awning keep our door open (perpendicular to the side of the T@B) with a simple piece of bent metal that goes into holes drilled in the factory door latch.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    OutbackAZ said:
    Many of us with the XLvisor and/or awning keep our door open (perpendicular to the side of the T@B) with a simple piece of bent metal that goes into holes drilled in the factory door latch.
    That is a thought... but I already have an awning that will take very little to modify and I think it will work.  If not, I can always purchase a visor.  :-)

M@rilyn

• Options
    Tabberjohn, I would love to see that come into being! I'd also add an extended "skirt" at the bottom all the way around to compensate for any uneven ground. I once bought a pop up screen tent that did not have this. The ground dipped here and there, and the yellow jackets flew under the bottom, getting trapped inside. I quickly took it down, including said yellow jacket, and returned it the next week.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    I want to sit and enjoy the outdoors in the sun or the rain, but find the current visor lacking and awning not to my liking.
    I have an idea for a screened porch for the T@B I was going to approach PahaQue about making as a custom job.
    It would be a hybrid arched visor/awning with three poles. Two long poles that arch from the keder rail out and over to the ground, plus an arched entrance pole between those poles. It would operate like a visor/awning with removable screens. There would be 3 screens (front and sides) plus a back wall skirt that drops to the ground. No floor. Basically a T@B portico with option to screen it in. It would be sturdy and wind-resistant, anchored at the side handles and optionally staked in front at each pole end.
    Now I need to find some way to sketch this idea on a iPad or PC. Anyone got suggestions on an app?
    If not, I guess graph paper and pencil will have to do. ;)

Try "Google Drawings"  or Google, "Google Drafting"  you should be able to pull it up on your iPad and if you have a stylus, you can draw it.  I use a Surface Pro with ArtRage to draw with.   ArtRage can be added to your iPad too, not sure if it will cost you but there should be lots of Apps for drawing or drafting.  Love to see it when you are done!
    M@rilyn

• Options
    @seajeeper Beautiful!!  Love the colors!  Which are exactly the same as mine outside... rug, small table, and chairs, tablecloths, etc.   Can't wait to post pictures on my maiden voyage at the end-of-March.  I'm currently selling my T@G and my new T@B is on order.  Again... beautiful job!!  ;)
    M@rilyn

• Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    i am so happy with my new awning from Teardrop Shop. i love that the sides fold down as needed

Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I love the black, red and white. Very fun!!
    M@rilyn

• Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    Made this out of outdoor fabric and conduit. The sag on the end is due to rain the night before
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    OutbackAZ said:
    OutbackAZ - do you have a picture of this? Today I put up my visor and was looking at the door latches - couldn't figure out how to do the bent metal. My latch is different than the older models, I believe. You just push the door into a "slot" to make it stay open. Couldn't figure out how the metal piece would be placed --- photos? Thanks.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    OutbackAZ - do you have a picture of this? Today I put up my visor and was looking at the door latches - couldn't figure out how to do the bent metal. My latch is different than the older models, I believe. You just push the door into a "slot" to make it stay open. Couldn't figure out how the metal piece would be placed --- photos? Thanks.
    You'll be drilling a couple holes: http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2792/keep-door-open-with-pahaque-awnings-and-visors/p1
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Pika1Pika1 Member Posts: 29
    When we ordered our T@B, the side tent had some appeal, but we wanted a screen room like our former pop-top had. My wife called PahaQue and asked if they would make a T@B tent with a total screen front and a two side zip door. Reply was no problem and the finished product has the tent features, except the front. She has an enclosed (if wanted) screen room with open front and very large screen windows on the sides. Keeps the bugs out and a great place to sit outside. Give them a call. Working on shrinking iPad pictures.
  • Options
    Pika, can't wait for pics! This sounds like what I've been looking for. The R-Pod cabana dome by Dometic is what I've found that matches what I want, but is probably taller at the trailer end, which would probably be workable. Thanks!
  • Options
    Our custom screen room/tent. We really enjoy what it offers. I'll get all this picture stuff figured out.
  • Options
  • Options
    Wow! I love the openness of it. That's why I'm not fond of the look of the tent or awning. Thanks!
  • Options
    Can one person put it up?
  • Options
    Very nice @Pika1
    M@rilyn

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,529
    Pika1:  Does it come with a fold down solid front to prevent rain entry?  Are there still problems with the tent sagging?  Do you recall if there was an upcharge?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    First picture is with door zipped closed. Second is zipped open and rolled up. One person can put it up. Goes easier with two. Most difficult part is putting the flex pole in the front sleeve. From that point goes easy.  We really like the fact it attaches and seals well to the T@B.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,529
    Looks like you also get a lot more ventilation than with the current Tab side tent.  I understand that it can get stuffy in the current tent.  This looks very appealing.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Ventilation is great. We have not had much sagging. Keep refining our setup to eliminate that to a point. We use binder type clips and two space blankets to close the front to weather and for privacy. My wife got the changes done for the same price as a regular production tent. Side windows have zipper covers.