Options

Has Anyone Put A "Wasp Screen" Behind The Refrigerator Vent?

SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
I'm deathly allergic to wasp venom and I believe that the refrigerator vent beside the entry of the T@B is an inviting entry for Wasps.  I think I'll take off the vent and put some sealant on the edge of an appropriately cut piece of window screen and put in in place and re-install the vent.  Anyone ever done this before?   Also, with the vent off, would be a great time to install a "wind break" of some sort behind the vent.  I'm thinking of a hinged piece of 1/8th plywood.....drill a couple of holes and tie some stainless steel wire to the plywood and when it's cold pull the wires to sort of seal the vent???  Anyone have any ideas on that or what else could be done?

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I think that's a very good idea- I think the factory should consider that as standard for fridg ans air conditioner vents.
  • Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    edited December 2014
    Yes to needing screen. I, too, am concerned about wasp entry.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    This is good thinking and obviously a great idea!   I sent the link to this discussion on to the factory for evaluation and consideration.  These are the types of things that they appreciate and I know they will consider implementing it if it is feasible in their new builds.  

Keep up the good work as they do listen and like to receive this type of feedback from the very people who use their product line.

Well done!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I'm pretty sure a screen came in ours from the factory...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I will have to take a look.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    From the factory:

Hi Mike

The screens are already being installed at the factory.

Ed Kauffman

• Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    edited December 2014
    Mike, thanks for the research.  I'm going to take a flashlight and look back behind the refrigerator and through the vent for the screen.  I'm sorry and apologise for the erroneous posting regarding the screen to all involved.  I'm still in  a learning process but that's no excuse.
  • Options
    Sgtjohn said:
    Mike, thanks for the research.  I'm going to take a flashlight and look back behind the refrigerator and through the vent for the screen.  I'm sorry and apologise for the erroneous posting regarding the screen to all involved.  I'm still in  a learning process but that's no excuse.
    No problem and no harm as this is how we learn.   
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It sure made me think since I'm very allergic to wasps and yellow jackets.....I thought about it on my Silver Shadow and figured out that I have no places where wasps could get inside the cabin, and hopefully not into the galley or tongue box.  Did I forget anyplace? 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    SgtJohn, the only reason I thought there was a screen back there was because of my concern for wasps -- but I was concerned about the 'mud dauber' kind, because of the havoc they're known to wreak in a camper's vents (and now that I think about it, those darned Asian Ladybugs would love to move in also).

When I realized that the Tab was a "mud wasp" target, I screened over all the holes I could think of, that they might go for. 

I also crawled under the Tab and stuffed stainless steel in the trim channels, so the critters wouldn't find their way in there.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    When my trailer is "stored" for a period of time that I will not be using it, I cover all entry points.  This includes large trash bag over the top vent, Plexiglas cut to fit and taped over the A/C vent, cover that I made over the furnace exhaust, and corks of various sizes stuck in the drains.  My refrigerator is a two-way, so no vent to worry about there.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    If I store my trailer again down in Florida I plan to use some painter's blue tape to cover up entry points on my trailer and will also spray the trailer with insect repellenat too, in an effort to keep these pesky little insects out.  I have had my experiences with fire ants and it's scary!