Options

Campfire Defender

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
edited March 2017 in Products and Accessories
This new product looks amazing. It is designed to help control the spread of embers from a fire and to extinguish fires without water. It seems like it could really help prevent forest fires. I don't build campfires, but if I did, I would  buy one. Amazon also has it with a kit and a bunch accessories.I may get one just to keep in my vehicle in case I come across a situation where this could be useful.

http://www.campsaver.com/campfire-defender-kit-2?utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=vs-CFD_March#tabshere

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    As I mention on your FB posting, this looks ideal for solving my problem of starting a fire to cook on, then not being able to do night activities with the kid without dousing the fire.  It is pricey though.  
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Interesting.  Expensive product, but I can see how it would be very useful, especially when I am ready to go to bed and my fire is not.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    It occurred to me that this would be perfect for camp hosts who often spend their time dousing unattended fires in the summer. It is amazing to me that despite stern warnings upon arrival how many people think that rules applies to everyone else. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Wish I could count the number of campfires I've poured buckets of water on that were either abandoned, or left unattended for extended periods of time. I've personally watched people pack up and leave with the fire still roaring. Perhaps a good healthy fine, or permanent eviction would help. This has to be my biggest pet peeve of camping.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    I just don't get leaving fires unattended.  I've experienced wildfire started by careless people letting their kids burn trash on a windy day and chimney fires get out of control.  People don't understand how fast things can change.
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    I actually ordered the larger version today.  I had an email exchange with the president of the company about whether or not it could be used the way I want to.  He explained that local rules must be obeyed, even though the rules were in place before they invented their product.  He did say this:  

The Campfire Defender will not allow embers to leave the fire pit while it is covering the pit and staked down to the ground.

So, to answer your question, please follow the local laws and rules of where you are camping.  Our product is an excellant fire management tool that allows you a safe way of managing your campfire without having to use water or dirt during your camping experience.

Thought I'd share this with you all.  I should be able to try it out in a couple of weeks and will let you know how it works.

• Options
    SteveWSteveW Member Posts: 12
    We have had one for the last few trips - Excellent. I describe it as a way to turn 'off' and 'on' the campfire.
    A few negatives - Its heavy - like bowling ball dense & it needs to be stored outside or in an airtight container - You get a strong smell of every previous campfire even when stored.
    Reformed tent campers now in Ab T@B - 2016 Outback
  • Options
    SteveW said:
    like bowling ball dense & it needs to be stored outside or in an airtight container - You get a strong smell of every previous campfire even when stored.
    Thank you for letting me know.  I'll need to grab a container or bag.