Options

Lost an item into back shelf space

We are new owners of a T@B S Max which we purchased Aug. 2016.  On our 4th trip out, a magazine I'd placed on the back shelf fell into the 1/2" space between the back shelf and T@B wall.  I have 2 questions: Any ideas on how to easily get it out? If we can't get it out, will it interfere with whatever internal workings of the T@B?  We didn't find an obvious way to get into this space.  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It will not interfere with the internal workings of the T@B. There are heating fins in that space for the Alde, but because of the storage boxes, the magazine is probably being held up against the back wall by the boxes. I've not investigated closely how the factory boxes are constructed, so I really can't help on how to remove the box to get into the area. 

I think I see a screw on the side box in the corner. If you remove the screw and any other visible screws, are you able to get your hand under there to try to locate the magazine?  The opposite corner has the Alde glycol reservoir in it and I know it has screws that need to be removed in order to see the level of glycol in the reservoir. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Forget about it....I am sure there is a treasure chest of items in mine!

Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    I don't have the storage box on my 2015 so I've been able to peer down into that black hole. There's a few wires in addition to the exposed Alde fins, but it's mostly empty space. Even if your mag was bouncing around freely, I doubt it could do much damage to anything back there.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    edited May 2017
    My only concern is that the heating fins get pretty hot.  I would take off the left panel as Verna described and see if you can reach it.  

Right.  I'll keep my thoughts to myself.
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217

LauraRey said:

My only concern is that the heating fins get pretty hot.  I would take off the left panel as Verna described and see if you can reach it.

Paper burns at 451 degrees. There's a book about it.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Photomom, 'Ya mean the one that didn't burn up? =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Just a thought cuz I don't know but someone else may be able to confirm or deny this. Inwonder if you remived one of the tail lights if it would give you access to that space?
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @marknjudy, the tail lights are held in by some of the strongest caulk and adhesive and are very difficult to remove and reinstall. Leaving it there is a better idea than trying the tail lights!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Good to know, @verna. Hoping never to have to take it off then!
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    SszalaySszalay Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Verna and all of you folks who commented!   Glad to know you don't think it's a problem.  Next time we visit  our T@B ( it's stored offsite ) we'll check out the screw on the side.  Also I just picked up a grabber at the local automotive store and we'll see if it fits ino that space to reclaim my magazine. 
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I'd be tempted to straighten a wire coat hanger, keeping the hook end, bending the other end to a 1" 30' angle and try to go fishing with that-maybe 2 hangers-one for each hand. If it wasn't for having to avoid any electrical wiring, it could be a fun challenge for a 7 year old, but probably not a good idea. Curious about your problem, I took a reacher out to T@bit@t and tried it-no joy-too wide to fit in the narrow space. Good luck!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    EmergencyKenEmergencyKen Member Posts: 29
    @Sszalay, is your magazine still back there? Any issues? Just asking cause I did the same thing this weekend with a handful of hiking maps. 
    Cleveland, OH
    2018 Tab 400 
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    Husband, Nurse, Hufflepuff