Options

Need advice getting sticker glue off windows.

HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
I've been able to peel the stickers off that the dealer put on inside the windows, but there is tape residue. I've got Goo Gone but want to be sure it is safe on our windows. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red

Comments

• Options
    TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    It should be fine it's citrus based no chemicals.
  • Options
    Thanks @Tabfortwo
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    @boo, this is the synthetic "glass" windows, so I want to be very careful with them. I know amonia based cleaners like Windex can make them cloudy, so I am leery to go this one without advice.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    I've used a hair dryer on "gluey" residue in the past on many different surfaces.  Just carefully warm the residue up just a bit with the dryer and the residue will soften up.  Depending on the glue, I can usually just use a finger or a soft cloth to remove it from the surface. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    @Homebodyatheart, what did you end up using to get that sticker tape residue off your window? I had the same problem. The manual says no WD-40 or solvents or petroleum based (which seems to include Goo Gone and Goof Off) because they etch acrylic. I was shocked we can't even use Windex. I wish the manual said what we could use! Youtube and general Googling came up with conflicting answers. So, I used @pthomas745 suggestion of the hair dryer, which did take off the paper but still left a gooey sticky streak. Then I used canola oil which took it right off, then soapy/wet towel to wash the oil residue. It's hard to know for sure while in the garage, but the window appears in clean and without scratches. <fingers crossed>
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    @dsfdogs it’s hard to remember what I used, but it may have involved coconut oil and/or blue Dawn dish soap. Or silicone spray and Dawn. Those would be my go-to’s. Congratulations on getting it off!
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    I know the windows are sensitive, but I hope WD-40 won't harm the body, because that's what I used on the advice of an auto shop inspector to remove some duct tape residue.  I made the mistake of using duct tape to hold plastic sheets over the various vents for the winter, and it did not come off cleanly in March when we de-winterized.  The WD-40 on a soft rag worked pretty well to remove the gummy stuff from the body, but it did take some elbow grease.  A plastic scraper would have helped.  Everything looks fine though. 
    Will have to find a better way to cover vents next winter.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    StevieStevie Member Posts: 36
    Not sure if it is okay on these windows or not but how about rubbing alcohol to remove tape glue? That's usually my go-to. (https://www.bhg.com/homekeeping/house-cleaning/tips/how-to-remove-sticker-residue-281474979530492/)
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I used meguiars #10 and #17 to get glue off the windows,  also gets rid of any swirly marks made by cleaning with window cleaner. 
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I just had to deal with tape left over from a temporary tag on the inside of the 400's back window. @dsfdogs recommend ation of canola oil followed up with soap and water worked perfectly. The canola oil just melts the residue. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    Get some novus plastic cleaner...it is great.  Won't scratch or streak the windows and protests them also.