Options

Noisy plumbing...suggestions?

The water pump on my 2017 Tab S has always been noisy.  However, I decided to try to figure out if it was just the pump or something else.  Turns out, a lot of the noise is coming from the exit hose hitting a black (drain/vent?) pipe next to it.  Has anyone else had this issue?  I'm not an expert at plumbing, but it seems that I either need to add a buffer (foam) between them or figure out a way to keep the hose from vibrating so badly.

I would welcome any input you have to share.

Thanks,
 Laura
Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!

Comments

• Options
    Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    edited June 2017
    Hi Laura:  I did a couple of things to reduce the noise from and around the water pump.  First, I wrapped both the hose going into the the pump and the hose going out of the pump with foam insulation like you would use on your home plumbing. This kept the hoses from banging the pipes next to it.  The second thing I did was to loosen the pump mounting screws.  This gives a bit more flex to the rubber bushings and cushions the pump which minimizes the noise as well.  Hope this helps!
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    @Spruce1
     Thank you.  That was exactly what I was thinking (foam insulation).  I'll have to look at the mounting screws.  Thanks again!
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited June 2017
    Even the instructions to the pump say to adjust the mounting screws to reduce noise.

Edit: I should have added that T@Bitha was an early 2015 model. The pump type and how it is mounted could have drastically changed since then, as well as the manual instructions. Always consult troubleshooting for your model! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    Add a nice thick sponge between the hose and the black pipe.  Seems to have helped.
  • Options
    Dave28Dave28 Member Posts: 40
    Thank you for the idea about using foam. When I installed pieces of cut-up yoga mat, I ended up placing them between the black pipe and the inside of the wall next to the hatch frame.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Dave28 said:
    Thank you for the idea about using foam. When I installed pieces of cut-up yoga mat, I ended up placing them between the black pipe and the inside of the wall next to the hatch frame.
    I, um, hope that was your yoga mat and not your significant other's mat! :lol:

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    LauraRey said:
    Add a nice thick sponge between the hose and the black pipe.  Seems to have helped.
    Another cheap means to accomplish the above could be to use a piece of one of the kids pool noodles you see in stores, slit it up the center and slide it over the hoses.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ