Options

Chevy Trailblazer Towing Issues?

skyeazskyeaz Member Posts: 12

Hello! Does anybody tow their T@B with a Chevy Trailblazer and have any towing issues?  We have a 2016 T@B Max S that we are towing with a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer that has a Vortex 4200 six cylinder with a 4 speed automatic, a added aftermarket trans cooler and using a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller. The Trailblazer has very low mileage and is regularly serviced at the dealer including transmission service. The trailer and cargo weights are well below all the specs called for with towing with the Trailblazer. The problem that we are having with the Trailblazer is occasionally it just bogs down and is sluggish when towing, even on a flat stretch of interstate. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Are you towing in over drive (5th gear)?  We tow with a Nissan Frontier and have towed with the Pathfinder, both 4.0L V-6's and the manual states to tow in 4th gear.  That, in this combo relates to around 2000 rpm at 60mph.  The towing in OD we have been told by many mechanics is bad for the Transmission.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options

Hello!

Thanks for the reply. I checked the owners manual and it states about towing: with a automatic transmission, you can tow in drive (D) 4th gear. You may want to shift the transmission to third (3) or, if necessary, to a lower gear selection if the transmission shifts too often (eg., under heavy loads and or hilly conditions).

Shifting too often is not the problem that is occurring.  We could be traveling along for miles say at 55 to 60 mph on a flat interstate and then the Trailblazer seems to bog down and you have to push the motor to maintain those speeds.  Almost like things are dragging.

I'll see if I can find some info on towing in just 3rd gear which would push the RPM up in the 2800 to 3000+ range.  In drive it runs around 1800 to 2200 rpm.

• Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    You should NEVER tow in overdrive or D. Bogging after several miles could indicate a partially plugged cat converter. How many miles on the rig? Check engine light on of history code of P0440? Had Oxygen sensors replaced in the last year?
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Oooo, forgot about the O2 sensors. Had it go out on old truck. Idling rough too. Easy change for the old truck. Perked right up. Never towed in OD either. New truck has a trailering mode which won't allow the transmission change gears until a higher rpm is reached to reduce lugging the engine.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    9Jethro9Jethro Member Posts: 15
    @skyeaz, I have a 2004 Chevy trailblazer identical to yours and experience the same issues. I'm frustrated as well with the performance. It has a 150k miles but also well maintained. Gas mileage is pretty awful as well. Trying to make it last for this year and hoping to upgrade to V8 vehicle next year. 
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited June 2017
    Sounds like it's time for a heavier duty tow vehicle....  These guys were having similar issues.  

I towed with an Equinox for a short while pulling the T@B and that is a lot of trailer for that size vehicle.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    DougandMiaDougandMia Member Posts: 73
    We have a 2005 Trailblazer with the same engine and have pulled the T@B from Hamilton, Ontario to Arizona and back this year. The only strain on the engine was on steep grades. I drove at 65-70 mph on the interstates without a problem. It has far more towing capacity than is needed to pull a T@B. You might also consider checking the trailer brakes, if you haven't already, for binding.

I towed with an Equinox for a short while pulling the T@B and that is a lot of trailer for that size vehicle.   
    These two vehicles are nothing alike in build or towing capacity.
    Doug
      Mia   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  2015 T@B U, formerly 2012 LG 5-Wide Platform
  • Options

Hello Doug

Thanks for your info on your 2005 Trailblazer. Great idea about the brakes might be binding .... I will get them checked out.  What gear on the transmission of your Trailblazer do you normally drive in when pulling your T@B?

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    @skyeaz, I tow with a 2005 gmc envoy xl. Same engine, essentially same vehicle except for trim. Last July & August we covered 10,000 miles, 25 states and many national parks west of the Mississippi. No such issues you describe. It is underpowered on steep uphill grades, but no bogging. Don't notice the t@b behind me unless I see it in the mirrors. There were 4 of us and enough gear for a six week trip. 150,000 miles on on it and plan to keep it as long as we can. Good luck.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    skyeaz, I'm with Doug on this: if you can get it to act up again over the road, stop the vehicle (safely!) hop out, and place your hand on the T@B's wheels to see if they're hot.

If your brakes are dragging the wheels could be VERY hot, so be careful-- but they will feel hot, not just warm. Not 100% definitive, but a simple check that could tell you if the brakes are dragging.
  • Options
    DougandMiaDougandMia Member Posts: 73
    Skyeaz, We generally keep the tow vehicle in Drive mode, and drop it into 3rd on steeper grades. 

As Dragonsdofly said,  unless you look in your mirror you barely know it's there except on the steep grades. We also load up the vehicle for longer trips, to keep the T@B clear for easy overnights.

Good luck with your problem, and let us know how you make out.

Mia   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  2015 T@B U, formerly 2012 LG 5-Wide Platform
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited June 2017
    These two vehicles are nothing alike in build or towing capacity.
    Doug
    Good point and I do see that the Trailblazer has double the tow capacity (6,100 to 6,300 lbs.) of an Equinox.  The link above noted some possible issues that other 04 Trailblazer owners encountered with bad catalytic converters and O2 sensors.  I had a Vortex engine in a Chevy pickup truck I owned and know they are good, dependable and well performing engines.  I'd check the above, along with the fuel pump (have a mechanic perform a back pressure test on the converter) and consider adding a good fuel injector cleaner too the gas and see if that perks things up.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    @skyeaz, we do as the owners manual instructs and tow, for the most part, in drive. Steep uphill or downhill grades we shift into 3rd or second, as necessary, and have had no problems.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options

I want to thank everyone for the input, suggestions & ideas!  Now the process of elimination. We'll let you know what we find. Thanks again!