Options

Another Newbie question: Boon-docking

If I am not hooked up to power then I  will be using propane for frig and cooking on stove top. How long is it safe for the battery on the T@B to be used for lights and DVD player etc. ? At what point do I know I need to  turn on my car with  the T@B plugged into the car to charge things up. Or is that bad? For now I am probably planning on a 4 day trip, so  will battery of T@B be adequate for that?
My electrical  knowledge is pretty low.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,530
    If you have the standard battery, then you are pushing it for 4 days.  You should not let the battery go below 12.2 volts before charging.  The car is not the best way to recharge. 
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    sbhtennissbhtennis Member Posts: 67
    It actually has two batteries hooked  up.
  • Options
    Does driving it recharge it? So when we get to our second campground  after driving about 4 hours should it be ok/?

• Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    Grab a suitcase foldable portable 85watt ish solar panel for your trips. Easy aligator clips to hook up and the newer ones have a Zamp solar plug in for the Zamp solar suitcases. Switch the light bulbs out for l.e.d. if they are not already. Use them when you need them. The great outdoors invite campfires, go to bed after hanging around the fire. The dvd will be a battery consumer. Get an alligator clip 12v tester and check the voltage. Remeber when plugged into your tow vehicle you are consuming its battery too unless you hav installed an isolator. Too much use and dead start battery. Remember to unplug. 
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Search "fuses for newbies" for the location of all fuses and sources of parasitic electrical draw. I always unplug the television when not in use. I've also put an in-line switch in the Jensen entertainment center and turn it off. Even with LED lights, I use a frosted solar powered light for the interior at night. The exterior porch light is an energy hog, so keep it off. Invest in a plug-in battery monitor (outlet is above the sink under the cabinet).  You'll eventually need to get a solar panel once you determine your requirements. 4 days is pushing it, but you should be OK by being careful with your energy use.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Sbtennis: are you saying you have two batteries installed? That isn't standard but it will substantially increase your battery life. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,530
    It sounds like you have two 6 volt batteries.  That will give you considerably more capacity to run lights, etc.  Get a plug in 12 volt meter to watch your charge.  Make sure you are fully charged before you leave for your trip.  4 hours may not be adequate to recharge your battery depending on your depth of discharge.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    Charging from your vehicle 7-way doesn't work very well, even if you have a high capacity alternator, and especially so if you really do have two 6 volt batteries!  You definitely want another means to charge, either solar like @Newfisher mentioned or a generator.

If you do have two 6 volt batteries and they are fully charged you can get four days easily.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @sbhtennis, If you plan on doing a lot of boondocking, my advise would be to go solar as mentioned above. A MINIMUM of 100 watts should suffice for your dual battery set-up. Don't really think I personally would go any lower than 100 watts for a solar panel. With your current set-up, 3 days if you have full charges on your batteries, 4 would be pushing it, especially if you're using the DVD, and lights at night. Also as stated above, your TV won't give you a good "deep cycle" charge on your battery, but rather a "surface" charge which will not last long at all. As you use your trailer more & more, you'll find yourself adapting to not only your needs, but the capabilities of your trailer and it's components as well. I know we have, and I'm sure many here on the forum have as well. No matter how much advise you get, your needs will not be the same as others, and there will be a "learning curve" involved. Use the advise that most closely fits your needs, and adapt from there. 
    Good luck, and have fun out there! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Thanks for all the advice.  For now  will hold off on solar until  I am more familiar with everything. Is it correct to say that by plugging into my outlet in my garage that this will fully charge the system before leaving? How long is enough to charge everything up fully. 
    I think I am going to ask my electrical engineer friend to come by to give me some basic education. Sheesh .  The learning curve begins. 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,705
    Ask your engineer friend to bring his multimeter so he can show you how to measure the state of charge of your battery
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi