Options

Things we learned from our 2 week road trip

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
edited August 2016 in Camping & Travel
1. T@B is much more comfortable than a leaky tent.
2. Fridge is awesome on 120 and propane. On propane it really rocks, need to adjust temp from 120 setting or stuff will freeze. 
3. Group 27 battery good for around 48 hours before recharging. Did figure out which fuses to pull to eliminate unnecessary parasitic draw. 
4. T@B is not insect proof. See separate posting. 
5. If you drive on a really bumpy road check the Alde 120v cord. Outlet is kind of loose and plug can come out. 
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    @Photomom, which fuses are you pulling? I can also get 2-3 days out of my new group 27, but always like to stretch things.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    @Photomom, which fuses are you pulling? I can also get 2-3 days out of my new group 27, but always like to stretch things.
    Assuming this chart is correct, I should be able to pull #2 and #3 without affecting anything we need or would use if we're trying to conserve battery.

it should be noted that the amperage of some of my fuses don't match the chart so it's possible the wiring doesn't match either. 

We'd be running the fridge on propane, so we'd need #1 and #4 (for the LP detector.) I'm not sure what the battery charger does in the unplugged scenario or if it draws any current.

I do want to test this but it got hot again and my T@B was 98 inside when I went out to make the picture. Maybe in a few days. 
  • Options
    I did see that the TV can be disconnected by unplugging the power cord on the bottom but there isn't an easy way to unplug the stereo. 
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    I installed a simple rocker switch in the power line supplying the Jensen.  Ran the wires through a small hole in the wood panel separating the two cabinets.  For now, the switch just hangs in the cabinet.  I'll permanently attach the switch to the wood opening later.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I'm not sure, but I think the fan in the frig is 12v and it needs to run to cool it off (as well as aux fan). Some people don't hear the internal fan come on when aux fan is being used, so it might not be needed.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I am guessing that the fridge circuit #1 supplies 12v to the internal and auxiliary fridge fans. 
  • Options
    @Photomom, you're probably right. I'm so paranoid, it would freak me out all night after pulling it. It's easier to let someone here test it out first! LOL. Yes, I'm a chicken - without shame! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    razntwnrazntwn Member Posts: 26
    Photomom: is 48hours on Group 27 to 50% capacity or lower?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    That was down to 12.2v, we don't go lower. 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    Photomom said:
    Assuming this chart is correct, I should be able to pull #2 and #3 without affecting anything we need or would use if we're trying to conserve battery.
    We'd be running the fridge on propane, so we'd need #1 and #4 (for the LP detector.) I'm not sure what the battery charger does in the unplugged scenario or if it draws any current.
    Good idea. An additional benefit of disconnecting the entertainment system (#2) is that I wouldn't have to hang my shirt over the TV at night to hide that that blinding blue beacon! I can't pull #3, though, since that's powering my plug-in battery monitor. (No built-in monitors in 2015 models.)

Pulling the battery charger fuse (#6) will effectively disconnect your battery from the camper. When running on battery, that's where the power comes in--the circuit only draws current when you are on shore power.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Yeah, the lights are annoying, and there are a lot of them. I've been putting sticky notes over them, but even that didn't help the fridge propane light. You could do surgery by that thing. 
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Eyelid replacement surgery - just need thicker eyelids :-)
  • Options
    I use gorilla duct tape (it's darker than the traditional duct tape) over all the LEDs. I do have a dimming film over the entertainment center display. I do use it as a clock or alarm clock because I don't hear my phone alarm. 
  • Options
    duncanmarladuncanmarla Member Posts: 12

On our last trip I was able to turn the entertainment system blue light off in the settings. I use black electrical tape on the TV and fridge.

2016 Subie Outback V6. S Max. 
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    FYI...it's pressing the volume knob, not power, to get to the settings menu...including dimming the blue light:
    https://www.asaelectronics.com/downloads/dl/file/id/528/awm965_owners_manual.pdf

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...