Options

Tongue Box Upgrade

I am in the planning stages for dual 6V batteries, and am looking at upgrade options to the plastic tongue box that came with our 2016 T@B Q.  I read through threads where people have fit a pair of 6V batteries in this tongue box, but I am considering other options.

Has anyone replaced the stock tongue box with anything other than the aluminum Outback version?  I would still need it to house the propane tank along with the batteries and the gray water hose.

Thanks
Steve & Sherry
2016 T@b Q
Lakeville, MN

Comments

• Options
    blackc2004blackc2004 Member Posts: 117
    I was wondering the same thing... I feel like one a DeeZee box would work pretty well. I'm not sure how big you would need for the dual 6v batteries but I was looking at something like this:
    https://www.deezee.com/product/triangle-trailer-box/
  • Options
    geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    I don't know anything about other boxes but I wanted to say that I have 2 6 volt batteries, the propane tank and the sewer house in my standard 2018 cs-s tongue box. 
    Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    geekmama said:
    I don't know anything about other boxes but I wanted to say that I have 2 6 volt batteries, the propane tank and the sewer house in my standard 2018 cs-s tongue box. 
    Isn't the bottom of that "box" open? How do you contain the sewer hose?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    @Marceline, currently I just put it on top of the batteries and it's fine, but I did order a pizza bag to put it in as well.
    Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I recall a prior thread that discussed the box needing sufficient ventilation because propane is heavier than air. Can't find the link using the search function. Will the single hole at the bottom provide enough venting?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Tabaz said:
    I recall a prior thread that discussed the box needing sufficient ventilation because propane is heavier than air. Can't find the link using the search function. Will the single hole at the bottom provide enough venting?
    That's correct, I have  seven 2" holes running along the bottom of the box and yes I have a protective strip lining each hole.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I drilled holes on the bottom of my new bin because some rain got in and needed a place to drain. It worked double duty.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,677
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Just to let you know, your propane/CO detector is near the floor for a reason. That said, it *may* go off with no leaks for a couple reasons: the use of aerosols like bug sprays or hairsprays. Orrrrrr... doggies that sleep on the floor and have a problem with um, gas. Toxic gas. Turn-on-the-FF-on-high gas (this applies to spouses and children as well). This gas is heavier than air as well. :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    sranderlesranderle Member Posts: 78
    dsatwork, do you have any info on your tongue box?  
    Steve & Sherry
    2016 T@b Q
    Lakeville, MN
  • Options
    edited July 2017

DeeZee also makes lightweight diamond plate aluminum boxes. Not as heavy has a standard truck box.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @blackc2004, Nice catch, and thanks for the help!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
  • Options
    sranderlesranderle Member Posts: 78
    I see on Home Depot's site that the box is not rated for fuel storage.  As long as some holes are drilled added in the bottom, does that make it compliant?

@dsatwork,  was mounting and running the electrical wires and propane line straight forward?
    Steve & Sherry
    2016 T@b Q
    Lakeville, MN
  • Options
    sranderle said:
    I see on Home Depot's site that the box is not rated for fuel storage.  As long as some holes are drilled added in the bottom, does that make it compliant?
    I took that as it's not a gas storage tank, because they make tanks that are.

@dsatwork,  was mounting and running the electrical wires and propane line straight forward?

Define straight forward: Can you drill into your Tabs frame, cut 2" holes all across the bottom of the new box and one higher in the middle for the propane line and battery wires, find a 2' propane hose with the correct ends to extend your propane line, figure out how to best layout your space for 2 size 31 batteries and keep them dry without paying a $100 plus commercial battery box, patch up the holes in your Tab where the propane regulator and battery cut off switch was, (oh yeah that reminds me) you have to mount the propane regulator battery cut off switch, add a propane bottle holder, move the spare tire holder from the back to the front and support it somehow and  anything that you specifically want to do.....Sure it's straight forward. @Sandiegogal and I have saying after 26 years of marriage: just add the phrase "all you have to do is" and  makes it much easier for whoever is actually going to do the work.
  • Options
    @sranderle, also make sure the lid opens fully. Mine needed to be moved up a couple of inches to accommodate the lid and hydraulic strut. 
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    $300 or so from Etrailer.   Everything fits including second battery if desired. 
    Light weight so had to add 3 1x2 inch aluminum side-to-side supports on bottom which you can sort of see. 
    Lockable so won't lose another battery to opportunistic kids. 
    Same type 1x2's plus some flat bar make up the bolt together bike racks on top.  Added snubbers on either side so bikes did not wobble on flimsy lid.  Now with just fork locks and straps to keep back wheels in place bikes are solid...no other tie downs required. 
    Wings on back side, to mimic original tub, from extra diamond plate aluminum I bought to make the sewer hose compartment between frame rails.
    Considering all the extra aluminum I have about $500 total invested...but how much is a bike rack?
    Yes there are lots of little things to do to make it work but that is half the fun...

Mud courtesy of Alaska trip...

Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    @Vikings  Very nice work...looks like you need to invest in some mud flaps for the TV.
  • Options
    @Vikings, that Alaskan mud is precious!! I replaced the front bin with a DeeZee brand like yours. I guess the kids in my neighborhood are lazy and don't steal batteries. Sorry a desperate one got yours.
  • Options
    Vikings said:
    $300 or so from Etrailer.   Everything fits including second battery if desired. 
    Light weight so had to add 3 1x2 inch aluminum side-to-side supports on bottom which you can sort of see. 
    Lockable so won't lose another battery to opportunistic kids. 
    Same type 1x2's plus some flat bar make up the bolt together bike racks on top.  Added snubbers on either side so bikes did not wobble on flimsy lid.  Now with just fork locks and straps to keep back wheels in place bikes are solid...no other tie downs required. 
    Wings on back side, to mimic original tub, from extra diamond plate aluminum I bought to make the sewer hose compartment between frame rails.
    Considering all the extra aluminum I have about $500 total invested...but how much is a bike rack?
    Yes there are lots of little things to do to make it work but that is half the fun...

Mud courtesy of Alaska trip...

Do you know the model number of this box?!
  • Options
    Blackc2004,
    Model number DZ91717...
    I chose it because I believed it was large enough for my needs, and fit the space better than any other box. 
    It is light weight...

All the extra's fit...stabilizer crank, hose, electrical line, some blocks, a shovel, a small ax (somewhere in there), etc. 
    Carbide tip saw blade easily cuts the aluminum tube.  Just be sure to hold it tight, and wear eye protection.  Also cut some holes in back wall for ventilation...I put 3 1 inch holes near top, and 3 near bottom...not shown here. 

• Options
    YellowVeloYellowVelo Member Posts: 3
    How do you attach the box to the tongue? 
  • Options
    Bolts through box, 1x2 aluminum tube, and T@B frame...acrobatics required. 

• Options
    Vikings said:
    Bolts through box, 1x2 aluminum tube, and T@B frame...acrobatics required. 
    Very long arms help too.