Options

Replaced closet door with upper/lower doors on Max U

My latest mod.  I bought two matching cabinet doors to replace the closet door on my Max U.  

During my first few trips, I found that I was having to move things off of the area above the Air Conditioner or move a dog ( I travel with 3 dogs, so this is a significant logistical drill), to access the closet.  I bought two doors from nuCamp to match the other cabinetry.  

Now I can access the top half without moving anything on the bench.  I can access the bottom half without having to move the TV when the TV is deployed.  Also, I have a trash bag holder that hangs on the outside of the top door (not shown in photo).

I contacted Elsie to order the custom doors last fall and just installed the two doors this spring.  Elsie provided great customer service while making the custom order.  I'm currently working on adding a removable shelf to the closet (photo to follow when completed). It will be removable so that I can access the pump area below the closet for maintenance.

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    VERY nice mod!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jaschultejaschulte Member Posts: 3
    This should be standard! Do you like your U? Thinking about upgrading from a t@g and really love that closet. Do not want the shower/toilet combo. 
  • Options
    SilverEagleJCSilverEagleJC Member Posts: 24
    I love my U.  

When I first started researching trailers, I thought I wanted a toilet and shower.  But, then I realized I did not want to have to deal with emptying and cleaning the black tank.  

Then I decided what I really wanted was a very comfortable, water proof, air conditioned, small portable bedroom with a refrigerator that I could standup in.  I have done tent camping in the past and was used to using the facilities at state/Federal parks where I do most of my camping so not having a shower/toilet was already part of my routine.  My back can not sleep comfortably on the ground anymore so my tent camping days are done which is why I was in the market for a trailer. I have a portapot with bio-bags if needed.

The U floor plan also gives me a little more space for my dogs.  

When I looked at a Tab S and Tab U side by side at the dealer, that is when I completely switched to selecting the U over the S.   The U was the right choice for me.  The good thing about the Tab/Tag product line is variety of selection.

• Options
    SilverEagleJCSilverEagleJC Member Posts: 24
    Here is the shelf for inside the closet.

My requirements for the shelf were:
    1. removable to allow access to water pump below false floor of closet.
    2. no fasteners attached to outside walls
    3. no holes drilled where electronics or wires might be located
    4. does not touch the plumbing
    5. the port-a-pot fits under the shelf
    My first attempt was really bad.  :s

The second attempt was better -- it could still be improved, but it meets requirements.  :)

Photos:
    This is how I get the shelf in the closet.

This is without the top.

With the top.

Plumbing view.

Completed.

When I pack the closet, I will put something behind the back legs so that the shelf structure does not shift and make contact with PVC pipe or front wall.

It is hard to see in the photos, but the only part of the structure that touches the walls is along the back of the electronics box on the interior side. There is a piece of foam as cushioning between the structure and the back of shower box.  I plan on putting a piece of foam floor mat on top of the thin plywood that will extend out to the walls and cover the gaps.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Thanks for sharing. Always enjoy the new "mods" folks come up with!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    What is the width of that wardrobe?
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.