Options

Bike rack figured out

2»

Comments

• Options
    JannonJannon Member Posts: 50
    i do like that one!  one concern is the price the other is that (ideally) i'd like to use the rack i already have.   Greatly appreciate all the replies... great forum!
  • Options
    Ipsar0Ipsar0 Member Posts: 31
    You have a picture of it?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    It's this guy...Saris 2 bike capacity

NOTE:  This photo has edited by the forum moderators as the previous photo was too large and does not comply with the forum photo size requirements.  We ask that members please read the forum photo requirements and re-size any photos posted to the forum as over-size photos disrupt discussions and create page loading problems.  Thanks

10.jpg 70.9K
  • Options
    no that one will work fit nicer than the old Yakima one that I have. It also looks like it might be lighter in weight.  Wonder if they make with a larger hitch hook up?
  • Options
    with mine I cannot take of the bike rack unless I unhook the trailer. This looks like it might solve that problem as well.  I am going to look into one of these. Beside the Yakima I have is ten years old and probably needs replaced.

• Options
    i love the rack...very well made and was relatively inexpensive...think it was around $150 new.  It tilts back and the arms fold down and slide into some grooves when not in use, so very clean...and no rattling!  I'm picking up my T@B next weekend and will measure and VERY optimistic this will work and not hit the trailer when i turn
  • Options
    are you going to use the duel hitch like I show in my photo

• Options
    I am... plan to pick one up locally today or order online if need be.  I'll put the bikes on and do some very careful measurements.  Its by far the best setup I've seen so worth the cost to give it a try.
  • Options
    Slight update for those who may care... Believe I am going to have this done via custom fabrication.   Using my standard ball mount, going to have a 1 1/4" placed on top.  2 reasons... one is to avoid having to use the adapter for my bike rack (saves a pound or two) and more importantly it will allow me to have it HIGHER than the ones i'm seeing online.  The biggest complaint I'm seeing is that its too difficult or impossible to unhitch with the rack on.  If i raise it up a few inches, believe that should allow the bikes to remain on and easily unhitch.   

Will definitely post pics in the next few weeks once I have it done.  Cannot see why this is not a Brilliant idea :) ... that said, please call me out if I'm overlooking something.   FYI... 2 bike rack carrier (carrier weighs 15lbs) so believe I'll be OK weight wise... as long as the turning radius is OK.  Will measure; however, think i'll be ok.
  • Options
    The set up I have shown is capable of unhitch without taking the bike rack off but it is really close fit. I Definitely need the back up camera on my truck to accurately       to see the placement as I back up to the trailer. Not much room to spare. Over time I'm sure I will come up with a easier way but for right now I have to deal with the bike rack and hitch I have. I'll learn as I get on the road more often
  • Options
    Already learning stuff...i needed an extended ball mount sleeve as the Subaru Outback hitch sits quite a ways back under the bumper.  Good prices on etrailer.com..  once I have that and the 6" 1 1/4" receiver sleeve, I'll do some measurements and send to my buddy in Charlotte who does custom fabrication. Next post will be pics later this month!
  • Options
    DptritDptrit Member Posts: 18
    Jannon said:
    Already learning stuff...i needed an extended ball mount sleeve as the Subaru Outback hitch sits quite a ways back under the bumper.  Good prices on etrailer.com..  once I have that and the 6" 1 1/4" receiver sleeve, I'll do some measurements and send to my buddy in Charlotte who does custom fabrication. Next post will be pics later this month!
    Jannon eagerly awaiting your findings. I have a Subaru Outback too, and contemplating this same set up that Ipsar0 did. My current Kaut rack may be too long when attached, as it is a 3 bike rack and it carries them by the wheels. It looks like it would hit the LP cover. Hopefully your modification could be duplicated and perhaps the second hitch receiver put up very high. I would try it tomorrow, but I won't have a T@B until Christmas
  • Options
    Very cool... will definitely post the pics and provide an update as well as measurements.  
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    edited July 2017
    @jannon be sure to pay attention the warnings these extenders have. This one is for 

Brophy Hitch Accessories - HES6

Note: The limiting factor is the capacity of your hitch or vehicle, whichever has a lower capacity. Using a 1-1/4" extender will reduce your hitch's overall capacity by 50 percent.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    can you provide a photo of it