Options

Replacement Battery for T@B

I bought a replacement battery at WalMart in March of 2016 for my 2015 T@B.  I have been making sure to charge it every few weeks but I checked it the other day and it's dead as a door nail. I went out to my T@B dealer and bought a new one today.  I haven't installed it yet, because I wonder if it is going to be powerful enough to meet my needs. I'm getting ready to take a big trip out to the pacific northwest (I live in Georgia). I'll be doing a number of National Parks(three nights at the most in each), so will be doing dry camping in between opportunities to recharge at RV parks. I'll run my fridge and Alde on propane while dry camping. The battery I just bought is a Deka Deep Cycle/starting with 23 amp/140 minutes.  Any opinions about whether this will do? Or suggestions about something better? What are they putting in new T@Bs?

2015 T@B M@X S Grey With Red Trim/Silver Toyota Tacoma Decatur,GA

Comments

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    I would get dual 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in a series.  You can expect 200-230 Amp hours.  What you have will be run down in no time.  There's a lot of threads here about the conversion.
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,701
    More info on the battery is needed......
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MicwizMicwiz Member Posts: 8
    Thanks John. I wasn't sure about going to all the trouble to do the two 6 volt batteries but may need to consider that. I'm taking that new battery back though!

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Agree, two 6-volt batteries will make life on the trail a ton easier and put this issue to bed as long as you keep them properly maintained and charged.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    MicwizMicwiz Member Posts: 8
    Thanks so much!

• Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    edited July 2017
    Two 6 volt golf batteries are great but do require some mods and will add weight to the tongue.  I have a 100 amp hour group 24 battery that was drop in replacement for the original battery.  Combined with my 160 watt solar charger I have not had a problem and did not make any mods.  I have heard a that a group 27 battery will fit with minimal mods.  It all depends on how much power you need for your type of camping.  For me the fewer mods the better.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut