It's been a while... (TV antennas)

It's been a while since a discussion of TV antennas has been brought up so I'm looking for more recent reviews.  Has anyone found an antenna that works reasonably well for them in forested state parks?  I do most of my camping in Washington State, west of the Cascade mountains and along Puget Sound and Hood Canal.

Not a TV junky, just interested in a little news now and then.
2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle

Comments

• Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    I bought a little tiny magnetic antenna that I stick on the roof rack/outback.  I usually bring DVDs Incase....not sure about your part of the world.....Middle Georgia is flat so.....a paperclip would work for me...lol
  • mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    Clear Stream 2 (or now they have a "4") has worked great for me. Hoisted up on a aluminum expandable painter's pole and bungeed to the handle. Of course any antenna won't work if you're in an area that blocks the signal. CS2 has a range of about 50 miles.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    @mickietucs... do the dipols fold down easily for storage? Did you use the j-mount pole with your painters pole?
  • marilyncpmarilyncp Member Posts: 117
    Have you thought about bringing a good book? LOL!!  Such a perfect place to read is when I'm camping.   =)

M@rilyn
    Previous 2017 T@B S owner... c'est l@ vie
    But still passionate about the brand!

• SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    @Marilyncp  Yup... I'm a bookaholic!  I average 1-3 books a week.  But I like to keep up with the news no matter how depressing recent events have become.  I'm rethinking the antenna for now and researching the Verizon Jetpack and Chromecast so I can receive TV and internet.
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I catch up on all the magazines I don't get around to reading. My baby sister saves all the Sunday comics and puzzles. It's fun because I don't get the paper and when she finishes with the funnies, I get to read them. Must keep them in order (by decree of the subscriber)! Because then her BF starts the puzzles. He can check answers later on the next Sunday's comics. LOL.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    edited August 2017
    Aussie said:
    @Marilyncp  Yup... I'm a bookaholic!  I average 1-3 books a week.  But I like to keep up with the news no matter how depressing recent events have become.  I'm rethinking the antenna for now and researching the Verizon Jetpack and Chromecast so I can receive TV and internet.
    Yes, but isn't the point of going out into the wild is to get away from the depressing issues of the day?  

M@rilyn

• mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    Aussie said:
    @mickietucs... do the dipols fold down easily for storage? Did you use the j-mount pole with your painters pole?
    Yes, they fold in. That J pole isn't needed on a painter's pole - the clamp thing on the back woks on the pole. I do take it off the pole to transport - not very big and lightweight. I have a pickup with a topper and the pole, when retracted, fits nicely on the lip of the topper so it slides right in.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

marilyncp said:
    Aussie said:
    Yes, but isn't the point of going out into the wild is to get away from the depressing issues of the day?  

Depends on what yer reading! :wink:

I prefer Harley HOG mag catchups and my photography mags. Usually read them at night to wind down. I talk too much to my neighbors and fellow campers in my group catching up on everyone to read in the day. At night is when the GREAT stories come out around the campfire. What's said around the campfire, stays around the campfire!! :innocent:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My Camp Hosting location has zero, zip, nada TV reception. But it seems that it's a wonderful place to read, make sure the Thermocell pads and butane cartridges are full, and just watch the lake, take walks and just watch the birds. I love my Kindle and it has come in handy this summer, and check the forum here and there. If it rains, I do have about 200 DVD's, or I have CBS All Access on my phone and I can watch my Direct TV satellite channels from my house. My only news is from an app of one local TV channel at home and that's enough for me. 

If I were where I had TV reception, I would use my Mohu Leaf powered inside antenna for a 50+ mile radius. It seems that places I stay the longest have no TV reception unless you put up a 40' pole and it's not worth that for me. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    The only thing I worry about is the local weather. I know there are a bazillion phone apps that tell you weather and you can get alerts, but I don't always hear them at night when sleeping. I have purchased a weather radio/AM/FM that I can set the weather alerts on overnight (battery powered).

My Jensen has a radio (plus bluetooth) and I even have a multi-use antenna on the top of the TH to listen to local radio stations (I have external speakers - not used in campgrounds), but I have the entire Jensen turned off when boondocking. There's a bluetooth app you can use to control the Jensen too. Mine is out of reach to turn off easily if I want to watch a dvd. I'd rather just watch movies on my laptop with portable blueray player or ipad if I'm stuck inside during bad weather. I end up using my Kindle anyhow!

For the playlists on my ipod nano, I use a battery-powered Bose speaker. Best investment I ever made. I have to remember to take it because I use it in the house too.

Ratkity said:
    There's a bluetooth app you can use to control the Jensen too.

Hi @Ratkity... what is the Bluetooth app you are using? I love using apps for things.
    M@rilyn

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @Aussie I have the Verizon Jetpack and love it. It's nice to have.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • trainwreckedtrainwrecked Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2017
    I have this antenna, does a decent job if I know where the stations are and point it that way (anntenaweb.org).  It is velcro mounted to the roof when we are set up (extreme outdoor velcro has held up amazingly well).
    2016 T@b M@x S Sofitel >- 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6
    @marilyncp it's called jControl and they have it for iphone and android. The reviews say it isn't working with iphone 7. I haven't used it, just read about it in the manual. Perhaps the android version works better than the apple one.
    Thanks @Ratkity. I'll look for it.
    M@rilyn

• Sam_in_VASam_in_VA Member Posts: 6
    I've had pretty good luck with one of these in wooded areas.  I made an "L" shaped bracket out of wood that hangs over the trim on top with a strap that hooks over the vent stack on top.  It has an amplifier that runs off a 12V adapter, but instead of plugging it in to 110V, I use a USB to 12V converter that I plug into the TV's USB.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J17ZKN4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1