Outback Option Axle

Hi! Does anyone with the standard T@b 320 axle now wish they had gone with the Outback Option axle? We are wondering how often the standard set up actually hits the ground under typical towing in State and National Parks? We are assuming that the standard and the Outback set up will scrape in all extreme conditions. We have learned a lot from this forum. Thanks!

Comments

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Because I don't boondock or wander off road, I don't have a need for the Outback axle. So far the only place I've had clearance issues is backing into my driveway. Going in head first is no problem. I've never had any issues in campgrounds. You could always try the standard for a season then change it out if you need to. Good luck!

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    I camp almost exclusively in state and national parks in the northeast and Atlantic Canada and have never had a clearance problem with the standard axle.

While the parks may be a little rougher than the average RV resort, I wouldn't consider them anything close to "extreme" conditions.
    2015 T@B S
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited August 2017
    No issues for me so far with the standard axle on my CS-S in Ontario Provincial Parks.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    Agree- driveways have been the only issue, and DH just takes them at a 45* angle
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• libertyolibertyo Member Posts: 33
    I've got the outback axle on order and will have it installed by my dealer.  After 2 years of camping, I know I want higher clearance.  Removed the spare from underneath right away, but still drag on my cement barn ramp on the way out - barely but it's enough to bother me.  Also bent my jack tube coming out of an old gas station.  That surprised me (not in a good way) and next stop couldn't position Bella for a beautiful lake view because I couldn't get the wheel on.  I boondock alot and have first driven my expedition into some remote camping areas to scope whether I should try to haul Bella up there - usually the answer is "no."   From NuCamp, there is no difference in the build of the body from maxs to outback and I can keep the current tires until I'm ready to switch those out to a 15" wheel and off road tires.  BTW - I haven't had any problem in state or national parks with my regular axle.  
    "Bella"  2016 T@b maxs blue, towed by '18 Chevy Colorado ZR2 duramax diesel - yes NEW baby, accompanied by the Red dog
    Rural Liberty Hill, TX, near Austin
  • BC2445BC2445 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for all the input!