Options

Full Hookup Campground

I am headed out in two weeks for a short 3 day trip and will, for the first time, have full hookups.  I have installed a single black/grey water connection and am just not sure how a sewer hookup changes my routine.  Do I just open both gate valves and leave them open when hooked up to the sewer?  If so, is there any need to add Happy Camper to either tank, as I would normally do?  Should I flush both tanks with additional fresh water when I get ready to leave?  I assume black and grey water still flows through their respective tanks before exiting, right?
2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX

Comments

• Options
    DINDAnLANDINDAnLAN Member Posts: 75
    @foxden
    The tanks flush out best when they have some "head" pressure of a full tank. You should keep the valves closed until they are full then dump them one at a time like you normally would. Also if you leave the tank valves open you have a much better chance of sewer gas odors. I think refilling them with water and redumping before you leave is a great idea to flush the tanks out. 
    I have not used Happy Camper so I'll let another member jump in for that question.
    Linda & Dan
    Cleveland, Ohio
    2018 Ford F150 XLT pulling a 2020 T@B 400
    LIFE IS GOOD!
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    I would continue to use Happy Campers as it treats tank waste. Also, I've heard that if you do leave the black tank valve open you will also get an accumulation left in your tank of tissue and #2 which can harden and be miserable to clean out. I say Let 'em float!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Keep the valves closed.  Dump as needed. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I keep the grey open and then backflush the black. It is nice to be able to take a longer shower.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    I recently stayed a week in a full service campground. Originally I had been taught to keep the grey tank open and the black tank closed and that's what I did this week without incident. I did use a "happy camper" type pod in the toilet. I didn't flush anything when I left, just unhooked everything. I didn't use the black tank at all and although there was only one person who slept in the T@b there were 7 who stayed at the site and used the kitchen in the back (CS-S) and there were no problems at all. I did come home and blow out the pipes because I'm getting ready to winterize.
    Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts
  • Options
    foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    Thanks for the advice!  I will keep them closed until needed and use the Happy Camper.
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited September 2017
    I don't mean to beat a dead horse here but It all amounts to personal preference.  I'd definitely keep the black valve closed to allow for maximum pressure to push the material accumulated in the black tank out.  

The gray valve can be left open to allow as Jenn noted above, for longer showers.  But for dumping purposes and sequence the idea behind dumping the gray/black tanks is to first dump the black tank, then dump the gray tank as the gray water released helps to clean the hose of any black tank material.  The hose is then rinsed good a final time (and the dump station area rinsed off for those following) with the non-potable water hose that normally is found at most dump facilities.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    One small note which may or may not be obvious: if you're going to leave the gray tank valve open, make sure you run enough fresh water through all your drains to fill the P traps. Otherwise, you'll quickly fill your camper with a not very pleasant odor. I may or may not have done this once. :)
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150