Options

Troubleshooting Alde Solid Red Light

Good morning crom Ogalala, NE.

I am getting a solid red light on LP mode on the Alde this AM. I have plenty of LP and can use the stove. I am not sure if I am imagining ut or not, but I smell a smell of propane when I turn it in and it starts to rumble but the LP detector does not go off. It might just be that type of smell you get when your boiker kicks on for the first time in the wi ter at home. The light doesn't come on instantly, it comes on after it has rumbled a bit. 45-60 seconds.

On a side note, I was unable to light the fridge last night. May or may not be related.

Any ideas?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @jkjenn, I am not a propane expert by any means, but if the stove lights, the only common denominator for fridge and Alde is electronic circuitry. Please check all of your fuses beginning with the converter. I don't think they are on the GFCI circuit, but you did have problems with resetting that circuit before you left home. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Thank you, @Verna. I went to red light troubleshooting and skipped the obvious. I had a blown fuse...and of course I forgot the spares...now to find one....on a Sunday.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Try Auto Zone. They have quite a wide assortment of fuses. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Try Auto Zone. They have quite a wide assortment of fuses. 
    Thanks @Verna. I will. Just tried an Ace wuth the largest selection I have ever seen and no dice.

• Options
    Good news, I actually had a spare fuse. Bad news, that did not correct the issue. I can hear the Alde trying to light and it isnt happening.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I am also beginibg to wonder if it's possible that I got a bad batch of LP?

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Have you just recently replaced your LP tank?  I did and had the same symptoms.  After lighting the stove (which I always do to get propane to the fridge), turning the Alde off/on several times to reset the red light and waiting for it catch and run (probably took 15 minutes), the lines filled with propane and the Alde lit.  After that...the fridge, which wasn’t staying lit...stayed lit.  I think it has to do with how the propane lines are run/“teed” and getting them purged with propane.  Ever since in our case both the Alde and fridge have started right up.  Good luck!

(BTW...I just winterized our T@B...supposed to get to 28deg tonight!  Probably just an early Fall “soft” freeze, but blowing the lines out only takes me about 30 minutes) 

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    I had a problem with the steady red Alde light too.  I swapped out tanks (even though I felt there was still plenty LP), checked the fuses,  ran the gas at the stove, closed the LP tank and then slowly reopened.  All to no avail.  Then I read in the Alde manual, I believe, that overheating could cause the unit to stop and display the red light. Then I remembered that I had lowered the Alde pump setting to approximately 1 1/2 to make it quieter.  I'm no expert but i wondered if I had slowed down the pump too low, limiting the heat dissipation, and therefore causing it to overheat and shutdown.  I turned the pump up to a bit over 2 and the Alde works just fine now.
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • Options
    Have you just recently replaced your LP tank?  I did and had the same symptoms.  After lighting the stove (which I always do to get propane to the fridge), turning the Alde off/on several times to reset the red light and waiting for it catch and run (probably took 15 minutes), the lines filled with propane and the Alde lit.  After that...the fridge, which wasn’t staying lit...stayed lit.  I think it has to do with how the propane lines are run/“teed” and getting them purged with propane.  Ever since in our case both the Alde and fridge have started right up.  Good luck!

(BTW...I just winterized our T@B...supposed to get to 28deg tonight!  Probably just an early Fall “soft” freeze, but blowing the lines out only takes me about 30 minutes) 
    Brand new tank and full. I will give it a try!

• Options
    Case closed: the issue was a loose exhaust hose. I actually did check it but it did not seem loose to me. Austin at nuCamp repair found it and fixed it.

I may end up putting in the digital panel just so I can read the error codes. It would have me the trip to Sugarcreek. 

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    jkjenn said:
    Case closed: the issue was a loose exhaust hose. I actually did check it but it did not seem loose to me. Austin at nuCamp repair found it and fixed it.

I may end up putting in the digital panel just so I can read the error codes. It would have me the trip to Sugarcreek. 
    Alde exhaust hose? What about the fridge?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Photomom said:
    jkjenn said:

Alde exhaust hose? What about the fridge?
    The fridge lit fine every other time. Perhaps it was not as level as I thought. It was the only time I did not level it as I was overnighting it at Walmart and it was pretty late.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Hey Jenn,
    Did he show you which end of the hose was loose?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    @jkjenn Out of level will not effect lighting the fridge. It will light. Out of level only disruptes the cooling process. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    Hey Jenn,
    Did he show you which end of the hose was loose?
    No, I picked up on Saturday so no one was there. I had checked where it connects to the Alde, so perhaps it was where it connected to the wall. 

With all of the bouncing the T@b has endured, it was not a huge surprise when something jiggled loose. 

Lesson learned check Alde in all modes before venturing on a long trip. I had only checked it on shore power before leaving.

@jkjenn Out of level will not effect lighting the fridge. It will light. Out of level only disruptes the cooling process. 
    It's also possible that the wind was sniffing it out. It was a darky and stormy night with hard, so d driven rain...

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    My experience is that the fridge is hard to light (doesn’t stay lit) when 1) it’s windy, and 2) if the T@B isn’t level front to back (which I believe is mentioned in the manual). Since I’ve put in the 2nd (“high altitude”) propane regulator for the Alde, it often takes one or two red light resets for it to stay lit (but then it purrs :-)).  We’re going camping one last time in SE Utah later this week...I’ll be sure to check that exhaust hose!  Seems like a safety issue that should be mentioned in the manual(s)...”red light” isn’t just low propane.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Seems like a safety issue that should be mentioned in the manual(s)...”red light” isn’t just low propane.
    I believe the Alde manual describes the solid red light as an LP blockage. I inspected and could not see one, but, admittedly, the Alde is a challenge to access.