The 400 learning curve begins!

atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
Had the new Lady our 2 short trips so far and getting ready for another couple day trip this week.  Just being inside and the experience has been Great.  Learning new things and making adjustments where needed.  Well worth the wait and we Love it.
2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab

Comments

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Nice pic through the port hole!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • WanderinginWonderWanderinginWonder Member Posts: 47
    edited August 2017
    So glad you have it and are loving it as much as we love our 400. Where were your first adventures to?
    2018 T@B 400 Silver and Black "Luxo" / 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - Jeremy and Andrea - Southport, NC
  • VickeyPVickeyP Member Posts: 47
    Looking grand! 
    2018 T@B 400 Sw@llowt@il  - 2015 Highlander - Dunedin, Florida
    "Not all that wander are lost..." J. R. R. Tolkien

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    What a fine T@B TV combo! And a beautiful campsite!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Local okla state parks within 100 miles from home.  trying to open up some time to get out further!  Thanks for the comments!  love the 400 and tweaking our traveling style. 
    Third trip out with the new 400 GEM!  found that 2 showers and daily kitchen water usage is a lot of water in the Gray water tank.  Red Neck solution for the famous Blue Boy tank, 2 5 gallon plastic buckets with Gamma seal lids.  Easier to carry and dump. The water filter in the new holder works great also. Still adjusting to things and loving it!
  • GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123
    Love the dog bed! What is the white t-shaped thing on the front of the tongue?

Gail & John 

We use it to place our wet towels to dry.  it is interference fit and comes  apart for transport.  When we can get TV reception, we use a  swimming pool cleaning pole for the antenna mount in it's place.  It mounts in a slightly larger piece of pvc plumbing pipe that is clamped to the jack post with dryer vent hose clamps. 
  • GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123
    I just noticed that these pictures are from Oklahoma, which is on our radar. Do you have a favorite place so far?

Gail & John 

Depending on how far into Okla. you would like to go, and what type camping you like.  We are trying this year to go to places we have not been to so far.  Several nice areas in the south eastern and north eastern part.  Like the corp of eng. sites if you can find them.  Chickasaw nat. wildlife preserve by Sulfur, OK.  Etc.  We get into eastern Ark.  a lot of the time.  Until we got the 400, priority was clean restrooms, Now the 400 is here, the shower is great and that opens up a new group of camping areas.  Really a lot of great camping here in OK.
  • pittchristinepittchristine Member Posts: 30
    @atlasb What is the bracket over the Alde exhaust?
    Chris and Rick, 2017 T@B Max S with 2010 Ford Escape TV
    Funny you should ask.  Reading some Alde info, the were pretty specific about not getting any water in the vent.  Seems the intake/ exhaust tubes are inside of each other.  When the enter the cabin, they take a downward turn to connect with the Alde unit.  While washing it before I waxed it, I used plastic bag over the vent to prevent water intrusion. I found this bracket, I think it is actually used for fencing projects when you use landscape timbers to attach it to the post.  The exhaust is not that hot and it doesn't seem to affect the material.  In theory it will shed any water running down.  Seems to work great so far.
  • bmetinCObmetinCO Member Posts: 15
    What kind of truck camper shell is that?  We haven't decided if we want a flat cover or a shell. 
    bmetinCO,  The shell is a A.R.E. Brand, MX model.  We also opted for the side windows that raise up to open.  We can access things in the front of the cap that way.  I also made a shelf that sits on the bed rails side to side for added storage.  We have the Yakima core bar racks for roof top carrying of additional poles.   We can get everything in the bed and our 2 cross bikes side to side with the front wheels off.  Everything is locked up secure that way.  Can still see through the windows and out the 400 to see what is behind.  nice to see so you can change lanes.  etc.
  • bmetinCObmetinCO Member Posts: 15
    That's good to know, thanks.  I may have to copy those mods if we end up with a T@B 
    My wife is still having sticker shock... 
    We understand the sticker shock.  As we spend more time in the 400, we find how much more there is and how special they are!  They are really not the run of the mill every day Trailer.  We don't regret at any time making the purchase.
  • HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    We pick up our 400 this weekend.  While we don't mind being pioneers, we are nonetheless delighted to follow your lead in learning this camper. So lead on kemosabe. 
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
    Several trips ago I noticed when making the bed, the panel at the rear of the bed, next to the roof was being pushed close to the roof.  It is the fabric covered panel.  There is a space between the rear cab and the bed and I find that also seems to be a vent for heat.  I found a foam kneeling pad used in gardening that has separate foam cells about 2 inches by 1 inch about 8 inches long.  I cut several and wedged them between the cab and the bed side.  This maintains the opening to allow the heat to vent into the rear.  This seems to work ok for us. 
    A couple new items completed.  The 1 inch square alum. tube to strengthen the top of the propane tub.  floor in the tub, tongue boxed in for storage, spacers for the panel at the rear side of the bed to allow heat to flow better.
  • Justin_in_SeattleJustin_in_Seattle Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2017
    Hi @atlasb, you have some interesting mods.  :)

Quick question though... It looks like you're storing your sewer hose in the tongue box. Is there any reason you don't store it in the sewer hose storage cubby at the back of the 400? Just curious.

Our 15' Camco stinky slinky fits in the rear cubby with all attachments except the sewer size adapter thingie.
    2018 nuCamp T@B 400  +  2016 BMW X1 tow vehicle
    Hi Justin,  We do store one in the rear compartment also.  We carry  spare.  I put a floor in the propane tub and it is easy to get it that way. 
    Time to replace the old GPS so got the Garmin 51 LTM-S.  This is an entry level for Garmin and I found that you can add the BC-30 back up camera.  Also got the 50 ft extension cord.  Installed and picked power from continual power.  The camera is live that way and can be used to see behind when traveling.  It can be switched back and forth from GPS to camera by selecting an app icon.  Think it is gonna be nice being able to check traffic behind before changing lanes.  Also, will aid in backing into spots.  Off to the Lake tomorrow for Thanksgiving and enjoying the weather. 
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    tongue boxed in for storage,
    @atlasb if you don't mind, tell me about how you boxed in the tongue. I was just noodling on this, today. I have an Outback, so the space would be smaller, but I was thinking of finding some hard plastic sheets and trying to fab something. I also prefer black to additional diamond plate.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Jenn,   I removed the propane tub and sat it over a plastic campaign sign. Marked around the tub and cut it out.  Silicone sealant to fix it to the tub and got a smaller metal real estate for sale sign for the tongue.  I clamped it to the lower part of the tongue and marked it and cut to fit.  I bent the rear edge up to meet the bottom of the tub floor.  I pop riveted it to the lower frame.  Placed another sign on the upper and marked it  to fit the tub and frame.  Leaving enough to lap over the sides about 1 inch. Cut and then cut the area in front of the tub for the piano hinge.  Installed a cabinet latch to secure it to the tongue.  Cut an area so the power cable can exit  the lid.  The cable and the cable for the back camera are both stored in the boxed in area.  Sanded and painted all the parts.  I put the letters on to keep some one from standing on it.  Nice to have the space for the cables, tongue lock gloves etc. Using the plastic, somewhat like the under belly plastic and the light weight metal real estate sigh helps keep the weight down.  every little bit of saved weight helps. 
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited March 2018
    atlasb said:
    Jenn,   I removed the propane tub and sat it over a plastic campaign sign. Marked around the tub and cut it out.  Silicone sealant to fix it to the tub and got a smaller metal real estate for sale sign for the tongue.  I clamped it to the lower part of the tongue and marked it and cut to fit.  I bent the rear edge up to meet the bottom of the tub floor.  I pop riveted it to the lower frame.  Placed another sign on the upper and marked it  to fit the tub and frame.  Leaving enough to lap over the sides about 1 inch. Cut and then cut the area in front of the tub for the piano hinge.  Installed a cabinet latch to secure it to the tongue.  Cut an area so the power cable can exit  the lid.  The cable and the cable for the back camera are both stored in the boxed in area.  Sanded and painted all the parts.  I put the letters on to keep some one from standing on it.  Nice to have the space for the cables, tongue lock gloves etc. Using the plastic, somewhat like the under belly plastic and the light weight metal real estate sigh helps keep the weight down.  every little bit of saved weight helps. 
    Awesome! Thanks! Looks great! 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014