Options

2 Door Jeep Wrangler

I am looking to get a T@b does anyone pull one with a 2 door Jeep. If so do you have any trouble pulling it. Is there anything I need to do to my Jeep.
Bruce
winchesterbr59@gmail.com 

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Hi @brucear Did you happen to search in the field at upper right for Jeep Wrangler? Quite a few threads there should give you good background information.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @brucear check your owners manual or google year of your jeep "towing specs." My '09 jku rubi is rated for 3500#/350 tongue.  She's old and tired but pulls my t@b 320S just fine(could use more torque for the hills!).  Just a side note: you're always better to tow with a longer wheelbase vehícal. Also, keep in mind your gross trailering weight which is the combined maximum of the TV and trailer. Lastly, your TV should weigh more then the trailer(there are guidelines) Both the length of your TV and its weight vs that of the trailer will play into how well you STOP, which obviously is more important then how well you go!  I'll wave when I see ya! 
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Not included in the dry weight listed on the side of a T@B is the weight of the propane tank, the propane in the tank, the battery and the weight of your clothes and camping gear. From the information in your FB post, this additional weight will put you over your towing limit listed in the specs of your vehicle.  

What does being over limit mean?  Your insurance company may not pay for your damages in case of an accident because this post and the information on FB will be proof that you knew beforehand that you would be towing beyond the legal capabilities of your vehicle.  Also, can you stop with the weight behind you? Extra stopping distance will be required. If you really like your tow vehicle, plan on extra maintenance required because of the extra work your tow vehicle will be doing. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    Mechanicly the 2 door and 4 door are the same except for slightly more spring in the rear to accommodate a little more weight in the rear of the 4 door.  JK speaking.  What you do have is 20 inches less wheelbase.  I think that Mopar takes this into account with a 3500# tow rateing for the 4 door and a 2000# tow rateing for the 2 door.
    Whether or not you count the tougue weight seems to be a local thing.  You can't carry the weight of the tongue and tow it at the same time.  In many trips over the scales, I have never in 40 years had a weighmaster try to add the tongue weight to the trailer.
    On my first try with the T@B with my 2012 Rubicon the bad left head issue showed up.  
    I got it replaced for free the next week and everything has been ok since.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I think more than your insurance company may not cover your damages (some will), but the risk of lawsuits from resulting chain-reaction crashes are a very real risk. Your insurance company won't cover that at all.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I tow with a 2017 JKU Sahara.  It does well on the flats, but stinks on the hills and not great on the freeway.  Add a bit of wind and I’m doing 60 in 2nd gear.  My JKU is rated for 3,500 pounds and my T@B weight fully loaded is running around 2,200 pounds.  Since most of my towing is on rural roads, I put up with the limitations to have my Jeep once I get to camp.  But if I were going to tow it any significant distance, I would tow it with my truck.  I can’t imagine trying to tow it with a 2 door Jeep, although, I understand some people do it.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    FreshaireFreshaire Member Posts: 97
    I sold my 2 door Jeep Wrangler and replaced it with a Honda Ridgeline specifically for towing my Outback.  I had the Jeep for 16 years and wouldn't have even considered towing a T@b with it.  Be safe and get a get a heavier duty tow vehicle.
    2015 T@b 320S Maxx Outback, aka "Alie Cat"
    TV:  2012 Honda Ridgeline

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Options
    JdcoupleJdcouple Member Posts: 96
    Please post some pics of your Ridgeline hooked up. We are looking to get a smaller TV and are considering the honda. Was wondering what it would look like hooked to the camper. 

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4

• Options
    FreshaireFreshaire Member Posts: 97
    I'm sorry but I don't have any pics of my Tab and Ridgeline hooked up at this point.  I'll post some when I get them, but it will likely be at least two weeks.  They make a handsome pair!
    2015 T@b 320S Maxx Outback, aka "Alie Cat"
    TV:  2012 Honda Ridgeline

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Jdcouple said:
    Please post some pics of your Ridgeline hooked up. We are looking to get a smaller TV and are considering the honda. Was wondering what it would look like hooked to the camper. 
    Here is a picture I found on Google:

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada