Options

Dry camping in Tent Sites

4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
edited October 2017 in Camping & Travel
This was mentioned in a different post pertaining to a different subject matter, but peaked my curiosity.  So the question is, is this possible in regularity? Do you find State/National Parks & or private parks frowning on this? Do they charge the same tent only fee?  This sounds great to me, but haven't tried it yet.  What's the straight skinny?
TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
2018 320S Outback

Comments

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited October 2017
    At the Ontario Provincial Parks, I frequently book sites that have no electrical or water connection, but can accommodate a trailer "up to 18ft."  The majority of large RVs only book sites with electrical connections.  So, when we book the non-electrical sites, we find we are typically surrounded by tenters, and the sites are more spaced out, and more private.  When we don't need electrical to run the AC or fridge, we prefer not to camp in "Jumbo RV-Ville" as we call it.

I have spoken to another camper, who has a T@g sized trailer, and he said he often books tent only sites, and has had no issues.  Ontario Parks typically has photos of each site, and makes comments on slope and obstructions. 

You need to be sure / able to verify that the site you book can indeed accommodate your small trailer.  Sometimes a sharp turn, steep slope / dropoff, or physical obstruction (boulder, trees) could prevent you from actually getting your trailer to where it needs to be. 

Some of the sites I've seen would be perfect for a trailer, but some large bolders seemed to be placed specifically to prevent that, forcing you to park your vehicle on one side of the rocks, and pitch your tent on the other side.  Also, some sites have vehicle parking above, then a small set of stairs down to where you would pitch your tent near the water.  

Of course, rules may vary, depending on who is running the campground.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    edited October 2017
    Twice in the past few years, I landed in state campgrounds that were full, but they let me camp on "non-camping spaces." No hook ups, but near showers-toilets. In one case it was a grassy area near the campground, and in the other case it was in the boat launch parking lot. I was charged for the grassy area (Montana) but not for camping in the parking lot (Arkansas). I discovered it always helps to ask nicely. 
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    We recently camped up in Idyllwild, CA at San Jacinto State park. The only space at the time available on the website looked like it was an RV site, but but when we got there it was clearly a tent site. They checked us in and when the ranger saw what we were pulling made the comment that it would just fit in the spot. I agree, any larger trailer and you couldn't have room to park your car. In private campgrounds I've asked with the T@b and the LG 5W and with those campgrounds had no problem putting us in a tent only spot at all. Sometimes they even have electric.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    You need to know why it's a tent site. Is it because there's no electric, or is it because there's no earthly way you'd get any kind of RV into the site? We've seen a few sites where we had to carry the tent into a site. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    TorzanneTorzanne Member Posts: 31
    We hardly ever camp in the RV sites and prefer the tent sites. So far we haven't run into any problems, especially because the T@B is small enough to fit in most places. If you don't need hookups, I think the tent sites are nicer. 
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Torzanne said:
    We hardly ever camp in the RV sites and prefer the tent sites. So far we haven't run into any problems, especially because the T@B is small enough to fit in most places. If you don't need hookups, I think the tent sites are nicer. 
    Does it upset the tenters?
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,354
    4ncar said:
    Torzanne said:
    Does it upset the tenters?
    Upset the renters? Maybe in the same way a 40 foot Class A with its generator/heater/air conditioner/washer/dryer running all night might upset a Tabber. I would never dream of camping in a tent only area and subject the tenters to my Dish TV, flushing toilet and "ding" from the microwave.  I really mean that. We all should respect all modes of enjoying the outdoors.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    TorzanneTorzanne Member Posts: 31
     Maybe I misunderstood the question and whether you meant tent only or just non hookup sites. We don't camp in sites where small trailers or popups are not allowed.  We prefer the sites without hookups and we've only experienced friendly neighbors who are super excited to see such a cute T@B. I did have neighbor campers say they heard our air conditioner one night and I apologized if it was too noisy and they said no they were just bringing it up because they were jealous. 
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    Our area just has them designated as hook ups or no hook ups.  Anyone can camp in either.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    linolino Member Posts: 225
    Often camp in tent sites and never had an issue
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I actually prefer the tent sites. I've found (in many instances) they offer more area surrounding the campsite. One place we go, the parking for the TV is where we also park the T@B. The picnic table & fire ring are located at a lower elevation below. I've NEVER had a problem with the adjacent tent campers complaining in any way. We've actually made some great friends from our experiences. I do believe that you just need to be respectful of each other. Believe me, I've had the "land yachts" with their generators going 24/7 right next to us, and KNOW first hand how annoying it is to have your piece & quiet broke right in half when they fire those suckers up! :minus_one:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited October 2017

Dry camping in a tent site means no shore power, no water hookup, no pump, no generator, no noise.
    Just setup your hardshell tent by backing it up into the site. ;)
    The exception will be walk-in sites or anywhere you might stick up like a sore thumb and block the view. In that case, just ask first.
    A typical reaction from tenters is more along the lines of like "Geez, we gotta get one of those!"

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @TabberJohn, Agreed. Don't mind settin' up my solar panels. The ONLY noise I've EVER heard 'em make was the clumsy guy settin' it up! :rofl:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    We call our T@b "our warm dry tent".
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA