Options

Low T@B trailer coupler

gnudad2gnudad2 Member Posts: 32
edited November 2017 in Trailer & Towing
Does anyone know if the existing coupler arrangement can be changed to allow putting the coupler on top of the A frame?  The plate with the coupler welded to it is now bolted to the bottom of the A frame.  This is so low, in fact lower than the T@B itself.   As it stands, I would need a 6-7" drop ball mount, which is doable, but it is still lacking in ground clearance.   Clear as mud?   TIA 
Oops, sorry, 2017 320S T@B.
Tom & Susan & Della
2017 320S / 2015 Tacoma TRDSport

Comments

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited November 2017
    I have a ton of drop on my ball mount.  When I'm dragging the trailer over rough terrain, I'm more worried about the grey water drain, or bottom of the tongue jack scraping, than the bottom of my tow ball.

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Yep, that's about where I'd be.  I'm also thinking about cutting the tongue jack or shimming it up, as I've seen done.  Just got a Tacoma which is lifted a bit so it's quite a bit higher than what I'm used to.  Thanks!
    Tom & Susan & Della
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    Is it the ground clearance of the coupler/ball mount itself you are concerned with?

If you raise the hitch but still tow the trailer level as recommended, it seems the ground clearance of the trailer parts will remain unchanged.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @gnudad2 I've got the same issue with our new Jeep GC. The 4" drop sits up way too high, as does the 6" drop. 8" drop may be low by a bit. A friend suggested an adjustable hitch. He uses it with his Jeep GC with no issues. I'm going to order one soon and check it out!
    https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-70067-8-Position-Adjustable-Mount/dp/B008CE06ZA/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1510865417&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=adjustab;e+trailer+hitch
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Thanks all.  After looking at the situation again, I guess I'm good to go with a major drop in the ball height.  My old Astro van was such a closer match to the T@B's height that it was making me wary dropping 6-7" for the Tacoma.   I do wish there were more clearance on T@Bs, but oh well......

Tom & Susan & Della
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited November 2017
    gnudad2 said:
    Thanks all.  After looking at the situation again, I guess I'm good to go with a major drop in the ball height.  My old Astro van was such a closer match to the T@B's height that it was making me wary dropping 6-7" for the Tacoma.   I do wish there were more clearance on T@Bs, but oh well......

It probably is not cheap, but a few owners looking for more clearance have swapped the axle to the one that comes on the Outback / Boondock edition to lift the trailer. 

My ball mount is rated for 5,000 Lb, so there is no safety issue towing a T@b with the large amount of drop.  There is a thick gusset between the formed piece, and the square tube of the ball mount. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I just happened to view the video where the guy guts his T@B and installs a fireplace (among other things), and lo and behold, it had a shot of his coupler mounted on the top of the A frame.  I may still attempt to do that as it does gain a wee bit of ground clearance and saves a lot of ball drop.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzDm5QmSdKo
    Tom & Susan & Della
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @gnudad2 That is very interesting the way the hitch is mounted on the top in that video. I wonder what year that is? There's an inside shower, so it has to be at least 2013 when they started with the inside shower. Although, I think they moved it to the bottom to raise it up. Being on top would push everything down a couple of inches. Your drop wouldn't be as low, but it wouldn't help the clearance issues.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited November 2017
    That's the hydraulic surge brake hitch. Ours is mounted that way too.
    (I do recommend going with the hydraulic surge brakes!
    Though conversion would be a bit of a job... =) )
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I agree with @ChanW. This has surge or hydraulic brakes.  Mine is a 2014, manufactured in August 2013. Pleasant Valley Teardrops Trailers (now known as nüCamp RV) was using the last of the surge brake trailers before starting to use the frames with electric brakes. 

I like the surge brakes. The brakes are checked every year when my wheel bearings are serviced.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”