Looking for a Bed hack for 2008 T@B TL

campergirlcampergirl Member Posts: 9
edited December 2017 in Modifications & Upgrades
Hellow y'all!  We have had our T@B for 5yrs now and love every minute we get to spend with it.  But I've always wondered about sliding the bed back over the lower storage compartment to give us some extra moving around space up front.  I'm wondering if anyone has ever successfully attempted that feat.  I realize there will be some major re-constructive surgery involved so I was hoping to have an example to refer to. 
Any insight, even if the news is that it can't be done, would be greatly appreciated!

2008 T@B TL, white with yellow trim towed by a grey 2010 Ford F150 supercab.
David & Chris
Baton Rouge, LA

Comments

• xboooooxbooooo Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2017
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited December 2017
    @campergirl, I'm not real familiar with the older Dutchman T@Bs, but their general layout seems similar to the newer LG/PV models. If I understand your idea correctly, you would like to remove the wardrobe, reframe the area as a platform, and slide the cushions back into that otherwise lost space in the tail.

This seem doable for someone with modest carpentry skills. On newer T@Bs, the biggest impediment would be removing or relocating the hydronic heating equipment that might be located in that space, but since the older T@Bs didn't have Aldes you can dodge that bullet. I doubt that the interior framing serves any structural purpose, but I'm not certain. Pay careful attention to what you remove and be sure to replace it with something equally robust.

It sounds like an interesting project. Please post on your progress if you decide to tackle it!
    2015 T@B S
  • campergirlcampergirl Member Posts: 9
    ScottG said:
    @campergirl, I'm not real familiar with the older Dutchman T@Bs, but their general layout seems similar to the newer LG/PV models. If I understand your idea correctly, you would like to remove the wardrobe, reframe the area as a platform, and slide the cushions back into that otherwise lost space in the tail.

This seem doable for someone with modest carpentry skills. On newer T@Bs, the biggest impediment would be removing or relocating the hydronic heating equipment that might be located in that space, but since the older T@Bs didn't have Aldes you can dodge that bullet. I doubt that the interior framing serves any structural purpose, but I'm not certain. Pay careful attention to what you remove and be sure to replace it with something equally robust.

It sounds like an interesting project. Please post on your progress if you decide to tackle it!

David & Chris
    Baton Rouge, LA

(having a little difficulty figuring out how to respond to comments.  Not quite like FB process)
    ScottG, there is nothing in the back storage area except a couple electrical wires, one connecting the two little wall sconces and the other looks pretty significant but has enough extra length that all we'll need to do is undo the wall fasteners and re-attach lower in the bin.  Aside from some water-damaged wood, which we'll be able to fix while we're at it, there is nothing but space.  I am in the process of locating schematics/blueprints to see how the undercarriage supports/doesn't support weight.
    We're still sorting out the plan of mass destruction.  But as the back wall is connected to the bench construction which is connected to the knee bone which is connected to the jaw bone...(I think you may get my drift here)...we're still reviewing options. Really trying to refrain from this turning into a 6 month renovation! 
    David & Chris
    Baton Rouge, LA

Upon further research I've discovered that what we are talking about doing is converting our 2008 TL to a TQ.  If anyone can provide pictures of what the back of the TQ  looks like UNDER the couch and the benches, that would be fabulous!  I loathe to reinvent the wheel. 
    David & Chris
    Baton Rouge, LA

• JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    I would like to do the same thing with my "L", I'm going to have to wait for next spring. Sleeping side wall to side wall just doesn't make it. Looks like a labor intensive job, but should be worth it.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V