Snowbirding

mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
We live in Michigan and are planning a trip to Big Bend National Park in Texas this winter. Most of the campgrounds are closed for our trip down or at least there is no water. How do people deal with that?
Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Same here.  Planning to travel mid-March out to Utah.  Plan to stay in motels along the way.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @mandt, the water is normally on from Tennessee on south. I would normally leave right after Christmas and head for Arizona. Last year, even the campgrounds in Arkansas had water.  You just have to watch the weather.

Now, I normally don’t dewinterize until Western Texas at the earliest, depending on the temps going up around El Paso. 

Before I get out freezing weather:

I carry bottled water for drinking and a 4 gallon jug of water for cooking and washing of dishes. If I put any liquid in the gray tank, it is dumped as soon as possible. 

I use either Double Doodie bags on the toilet or doubled kitchen trash bags with a bit of kitty litter in them for the nighttime.  

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    mandt said:
    We live in Michigan and are planning a trip to Big Bend National Park in Texas this winter. Most of the campgrounds are closed for our trip down or at least there is no water. How do people deal with that?
    You will need to check the weather in some spots in Texas because it does get below freezing at night in spots but will warm up at night.  Big Bend can get cold too but there were water points too and when I stay at Rio Grande campground we stay out along the perimeter in the "no generator" camp sites because the big rigs make a lot of noise.  Davis Mountains SP will be chilly at night and a water hose will freeze.  

Carry bottled water and keep RV antifreeze in the gray and black tanks as needed.  You will do fine!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    One of the most beautiful trips I’ve taken to Big Bend was just after the New Year back in the 1970’s. An ice storm had encased the cactus in crystal. At sunrise the desert glittered and sparkled.

Then there was the time we drove in during a snow storm....
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State