Caught in Freezing Temps

I have a 2015 T@b Outback that is parked in a carport in freezing temps with water in the tanks. I have it hooked up to shore power and the inside is warm enough, but I think the pipes may have frozen already as there's no water coming through the sink faucet or the toilet flush and the fresh water valve under the trailer is frozen in the closed position. Should I keep the Alde heater and/or the hot water heater running until I can get the camper to my service center to thaw out and winterize, hopefully before the pipes burst, or should I just turn everything off and hope for the best? Freezing temps are predicted for the remainder of the week. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Comments

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @tomanni, to protect interior plumbing from freezing, I'd leave the alde running while keeping the cabinet doors and the bathroom door open. Pour as much pink rv antizfreeze into the black and gray tanks as you can without flooding them, making sure to get some in the sink and shower traps. That's as far as my knowledge takes me. I would not turn everything off and hope for the best, as Murphy's Law applies in all cases. If you can keep the interior lines/fittings from splitting you can avoid interior water damage. Not sure if exterior damage or splitting has occurred, but I know the gate valves do split when frozen. Good luck and if anyone else has any suggestions, please pipe in!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • tomannitomanni Member Posts: 8
    A few folks on another forum suggested the same things you did, in addition to putting a small space heater underneath the trailer and fashioning a skirt of sorts made from tarps or cardboard around the bottom of the trailer to trap the warm air and promote a thaw. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Tomanni - Keep the propane off while using that heater under the TaB.  Maybe turn the Alde electric heat up to 2 and leave the hot water setting at the base setting - you want to keep circulating the glycol for cabin heat.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    Ok, so how is everything working out for you?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @tomanni, Glad to hear everything came out well for you. Curiosity question though...did they blow your lines out, or use the antifreeze method? Just really glad that you came through the ordeal unscathed!  :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @tomanni, me too!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • tomannitomanni Member Posts: 8
    @ericnliz, they use antifreeze. Thanks for the well wishes!
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @tomanni, Just make sure you flush the antifreeze out REAL good in the spring, or when temps allow. travel safe out there & have fun! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf