Where to mount brake controller in 2017 Toyota Tacoma

I just purchased a Tekonsha P3 brake controller and a T@b. The area under the dash in the 2017 Tacoma looks tight. I'm worried where my knees are going to go once the controller is under there. Thought I'd check with the experts before drilling any holes to see how/where to best mount it. Thanks. 
2018 T@B CS-S on an Outback axle 
2017 Toyota Tacoma with tow package
Pacific Northwest 

Comments

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Heh. Before I found out that the Tab we'd purchased had hydraulic brakes, I had mounted the Tekonsha in the small cubby below the radio, in the center, near the cig lighters, etc.
    It was the only place I could find.
    Ours is a 2011 manual shift, so probably different.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Sam_in_VASam_in_VA Member Posts: 6
    I had that problem on my wife's X1.  What looked like a good location had a knee air bag behind it... not so good.  I ended up installing a Tekonsha wireless proportional controller that I just plug into a lighter port when it use.  A supplemental unit mounts on the trailer that uses only the same 12V power feed that the brakes use.  It was a bit pricey, but it was easy to install and I just store the controller in the camper between uses.
  • MargaretvdbMargaretvdb Member Posts: 1
    There is a little groove in the front of the dash, just to the right of the driver where you can mount some velcro and it is a perfect spot, I have found. The dealer did the wiring and just had to drill a tiny hole for the wiring to come up near there. When not in use, just unplug unit and stow.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    I have a Frontier, not a Tacoma, but I did the same as ChanW. Getting screws up in there would have been difficult, so I mounted the bracket with 3M automotive trim tape. It's out of the way but easily accessible, and hasn't budged in three years.
    2015 T@B S
  • dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    On my 2016 Tacoma I mounted the controller on far left near the driver’s door and near the hood release.  It’s out of the way but I can still view it.  It’s also close the the pre-wired plug for the controller!
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Ditto to dinzzy on our 2012 Taco.  When we first got the T@B I took my P3 to the dealer...who mounted it to the right of the steering wheel with a severe tilt...a big no no for controllers.  I re-installed it myself (made easy since we had the tow pkg).

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    @dinzzy I just bought the 2017 Tacoma. I would really like to see a photo of where you mounted the controller when or if you have the time. I also like your location in relation to the harness. Does it give you any trouble entering or exiting the truck?  Dave

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• CuffsCuffs Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2016 Taco and got this great mount from ESP Truck Accessories.  The cubby literally pulls right out, theres a few tiny screws on the back plate, remove and save them.  Put the new plate in place, screw back on, thread wiring harness through the back and snap back in place. 

https://www.esptruck.com/product-page/2016-2017-tacoma-prodigy-p3-brake-controller-mounting-kit
    @Cuffs Thank you! That looks like just what I need.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

dmerzbac said:
    @Cuffs Thank you! That looks like just what I need.

Excellent!  Customer service there is great too.  (they accidentally sent me the Tundra mount.  Sent me a return shipping label when they shipped the Tacoma part.   And they shipped expedited on the correct part.)  

Next time we are in T-Town, we should get together!  (both Husband and I are from the area, family still in BHM)
  • IslandJoIslandJo Member Posts: 60
    @Cuffs Just what I needed too! I'd been laying it on the floor. Thanks.
    2018 T@B CS-S on an Outback axle 
    2017 Toyota Tacoma with tow package
    Pacific Northwest 
    @Cuffs Yes, let me know when you come through again!

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• johntreacyjohntreacy Member Posts: 31
    @Cuffs Did removing the existing cubby require any special tools or just a fairly strong tug? I have a new Tacoma and tugged gently around the box and the face plate that contains it and nothing moved immediately. 
    Olympia, WA
    2018 T@B 320S Sofitel 
    2017 Tacoma SR5 AC 4x4 w/ 6 cyl Towing Package

edited December 2017
    @Cuffs Did removing the existing cubby require any special tools or just a fairly strong tug? I have a new Tacoma and tugged gently around the box and the face plate that contains it and nothing moved immediately. 
    No tools.  I'll look at it in the morning/daylight and look at exactly what I did.  The only tool needed was a small phillips screwdriver for the screws on the backside of the cubby/plate that you'll see once its out.  I think I have a video of it also... 
  • RedDoorGalsRedDoorGals Member Posts: 23
    dinzzy said:
    On my 2016 Tacoma I mounted the controller on far left near the driver’s door and near the hood release.  It’s out of the way but I can still view it.  It’s also close the the pre-wired plug for the controller!
    We have a 2010 Toyota Tacoma and we ended up installing it to the left of the steering column, near the parking brake lever.  It took several days to get used to it being down there and not knocking it when exiting the truck.  Now we're pretty well trained to get in/out and not have to contend with it.  Easy to get to the pre-existing harness which is tucked up under the dash in that same location.  Easy to see the unit and adjust as needed while you're driving too.

2018 T@B CS-S; pulled by a 2010 Toyota Tacoma v6
    @cuffs,  I’m going to remount mine where you did in the “cubby”.  Until I saw your post I didn’t know I had another option!  I just received the part today.  I hope it’s easy to pop off the panel after the three bolts are removed and no air bag issues.
    Thanks 

I went very well.  It took maybe 30 mins.

@dinzzy Did you just follow the instructions that came with the part or did you take a different approach? I'm planning on doing this job today or tomorrow.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

I mostly did.  I didn’t take the the door sill off and the plastic panel under the dash I only pried it back to reveal the bolt behind it that needs to be removed.  If your attaching the brake controller wire for the first time it’s best to remove this panel.  I have some plastic door panel removal tools that I used.  These were helpful and don’t damage the plastic edges of the panel you’re removing.  The tabs on the switch panel seem fragile so be careful pulling them back to pop it out.  Have fun.  You’ll enjoy the results!

@dinzzy Got it installed and it really looks good in that location. Does the power always stay on the P3?

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

No.  It shuts off a few minutes after you turn off the ignition.  Follow the instructions for the controller to set it up properly and you will be all set!

• johntreacyjohntreacy Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2018
    dinzzy said:
    I mostly did.  I didn’t take the the door sill off and the plastic panel under the dash I only pried it back to reveal the bolt behind it that needs to be removed.  If your attaching the brake controller wire for the first time it’s best to remove this panel.  I have some plastic door panel removal tools that I used.  These were helpful and don’t damage the plastic edges of the panel you’re removing.  The tabs on the switch panel seem fragile so be careful pulling them back to pop it out.  Have fun.  You’ll enjoy the results!
    dinzzy, can you tell me more about the plastic tools? Pics? Or a link for ordering? Thanks!
    Olympia, WA
    2018 T@B 320S Sofitel 
    2017 Tacoma SR5 AC 4x4 w/ 6 cyl Towing Package

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Yup, Them be door panel, dash board & any other plastic "clip" panel tool there is just about.....'ya forgot the "deadblow" hammer when all those flunk the test! :s:o;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    edited July 2019
    Cuffs said:
    I have a 2016 Taco and got this great mount from ESP Truck Accessories.  The cubby literally pulls right out, theres a few tiny screws on the back plate, remove and save them.  Put the new plate in place, screw back on, thread wiring harness through the back and snap back in place. 

https://www.esptruck.com/product-page/2016-2017-tacoma-prodigy-p3-brake-controller-mounting-kit
    Looks great.  Just what we're going to be needing.  I think I'm going to "please" or appease my family today.  Heading down to Toyota.  I love my 2003 Tacoma TRD.  I've driven Toyota trucks since my first, 1979 SR5 I bought in 1980.  Being retired military I've taken them to many countries of the world.  My family has been bugging me to upgrade to a newer truck lately because they think our wanderings in the "old Toyota" will leave Papaw & Yaya broken down somewhere in the boonies. 
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.