Options

Suraru Outback...ball mount drop

JannonJannon Member Posts: 50
edited July 2017 in Trailer & Towing
For the Subaru Outback...towing an Outback T@B...are u using the ball mount with the drop down...or up (essentially flipping the mount upside down)...see photo...bit the ball would be flipped around.  Thinking because the TV sits so low, to have the T@B level I may need to reverse it.  

I'm sure I'll find out Saturday when I pick bit up...would just like to be prepared!

Comments

• Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    We run with ours up trying to level the trailer with the Tv. Seems to work well
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    If you think if it let us know how your first tow goes, I.e. Any sway or just right?
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @Jannon we started with our MaxS with the ball on the upper side (opposite from the pic), towing with a Toyota Highlander. The trailer tongue sat high so we reversed the ball, like the pic, and we are straight now. With an Outback you might be ok as is, although it is an easy adjustment. I had my car shop change it out as they have equipment stronger than my hands to do it right.  You must be getting very excited! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    By the way we have a 2016 Subaru Outback and tow a Tab Outback 2017
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited July 2017
    Hitches are meant to be used in either position. That said, I had a UHaul hitch given to me that the ball was spot welded into position. It wasn't that it couldn't be used in the opposite configuration, it's just that I couldn't remove the ball from it!! 

P.S. Love the cutting board - hope you don't have an "other half" that would have kittens seeing a hitch on it! ROFL. *says the chick who has had a chainsaw in her living room for over a month and a generator on a cart around the corner in the hall*
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Appreciate the replies.  Wanted to be sure as I'm having a buddy who does fabrication build me this...want a 1 1/4" receiver on top AND a bit higher than the ones they sell online to allow me to keep the bike rack installed when I unhitch.  I'll post pics one complete.

And of course will adjust if, when I hook up, I need to flip it to level the T@B.
  • Options
    So now that I have a Grand Cherokee TV, my hitch will drop a bit.  My buddy just finished welding my multi purpose setup...cant wait to try it out....praying the bikes don't hit the trailer when turning, else it will be a fancy bike rack carrier...with no bikes!
  • Options
    brookingsbrookings Member Posts: 39
    On my 2009 Subaru outback I switched to a straight ball mount to level the tab.