Important Maintenance Reminders!

nuCampnuCamp Administrator Posts: 22
With the next camping season approaching, nuCamp would like to remind all owners to inspect and (if necessary) repair the caulking at the bottom edges of their trailers, and around the front window. Failure to perform this important maintenance may result in water infiltration and damage.

Full details and instructions can be found in the Resources category under Maintenance Notices.

Comments

• ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    @BrianZ - There is a link at the bottom of the post that will take you to a post with instructions.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @BrianZ, AND just remember, if you have questions....you're in the RIGHT place. Ask away, there's a LOT of good help right here at your finger tips! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    The post in Resources-->Maintenance Notices also has a link to the original discussion. You may find some additional tips there.
    2015 T@B S
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    The Seal Inspection PDF listed What needed to be done for the wheel well/fender seal, but no steps on How to do it (like the Window Seal Maintenance PDF, which had specific instructions on how to reseal). 

Thanks, Scott, I found that original discussion link, which provides a lot more detail, if you read through multiple posts to get the various instructions & photos.  Door sealing appears to be another maintenance item, and it looks like I'm not the only one who was wondering exactly what needs to be done & where/how.  Would be nice if all these instructions could be all be included in the manual.  The latest 2017 T@B manual still shows "Coming Soon" for the sections on "Exterior Sealing Chart" and "Schematics" on the last page 51.
    Thanks.

We've only been T@B owners for 6 months, but I want to be prepared to keep up with important maintenance.  I've already replaced some deteriorating caulking on the top edges of the roof at the trim joint after just a couple of months.  The sun gets very hot in Wilmington, NC, where we bought ours.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    @BrianZ, I'm glad the tips in the thread helped out. I know the original directions were not very detailed, but I recall when I went out and actually started looking/feeling around the trailer it was pretty easy to figure out exactly what needed to be inspected and potentially touched up.

The joint in the trim at the top of the roof has also been a place where people (myself included) have experienced minor cracking and caulk separation. There are a few threads here about it. Fortunately, the trim is purely decorative so damage in that location--while unattractive--should not promote any damaging water infiltration.
    2015 T@B S
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    nüCamp Does this apply to the fixed front window that some of us early LG Tab folks have? 
    Simply tighten the screws and add a bit of caulk along the top edge?
    Thanks.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    @ChanW, I'm not sure if forum questions are actively monitored by the nuCamp folks. We'll try to get an answer, as it may also be relevant to T@G owners who have the stargazer window.

In the meantime, I say take a look at yours, make your own assessment, then please tell us what you think!
    2015 T@B S
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yep, will do!
    But I think I'll wait til the snow melts (which could be an indicator of sorts, since our Tab is stored outside!)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited February 2018
    Any areas of the trailer that have been caulked or that have sealed areas should be inspected and the caulk replaced as necessary as it can deteriorate and break down over time.  NuCamp had found that some units have experienced water infiltration over time and it was a result of caulk deteriorating from sun exposure, people pressure washing their units, etc.  Since some warranties have expired and they felt it was both prudent, and a good time to remind people to inspect their trailers and perform any routine maintenance that may be needed.  This applies to all travel trailers.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Michigan_Mike, Thanks for the reminder(s)! Much appreciated. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• maddmikemaddmike Member Posts: 137
    edited June 2018
    Newb question, but what are peolple using to re-calk? When I used to build wind turbines we used UV Sika-Flex. I figure if that can hold a nacelle on top of a 40 story tower together in all weather and wind conditions, then it must work for a trailer. It may be overkill though and maybe is not the right tool for the job.
    edited May 2018
    I've needed to do little if any re-cauking on my 2015. If I did I'd probably just use quality silicone. I suspect keeping up the inspections and maintenance are more important than what you actually use.

EDIT: A recent post cautioned against using silicone on fiberglass and fiberglass-composite materials, as it doesn't stick well and leaves a film nothing else will stick to either. YMMV.
    2015 T@B S
  • mrlynch1953mrlynch1953 Member Posts: 40
    Can't find "maintenance notices".  When i click on the link in this original post, it takes me to page not found.  And there is not a link in the menu to the left for this forum.  Even though I have annual inspections as part of a lifetime warranty, the front window on my 2016max-S seems not to be included.  Since I hadn't seen/read this maintenance hint, my front window did separate and I had to replace it.  I saw water damage on my kitchen counter, but not until we got a heavy rain and the counter got soaked did I realize what was happening.  I did post to our FB group, but no one suggested the window.  NOW, I want to make sure I stay on top of it, so i need to know the best product to use.  Accessing the maintenance instructions is what i need.  Thank you!
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    About a year ago, the site was rebuilt (or something) and the address here changed.  Most of the old links were updated, but I still find a few that are using the old address.  Here is the corrected link:

Here is the new fangled link:
    tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/(number)

The old one has "vanillaforums" rather than "vanillacommunity"

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    The original link has been fixed. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
    2015 T@B S
  • ThomasThomas Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2018 TAM 400. I'm trying to determine what the wheel bearing maintenance requirements are, 
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    The axle maintenance is outlined in manuals from Dexter the axle manufacturer. All Dexter service manuals are available online. https://www.dexteraxle.com/resources/manuals

Tab axles are in the light duty manuals.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    Thanks for the Dexter link @N7SHG_Ham.
    Here is a hyperlink directly to the Light Duty Manual
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • RCBRCB Member Posts: 190
    I’m sorry to say this absolute bs from a design perspective. As an architect, the use of caulking to prevent the ingress of water is a last resort. The engineering details of the intersection of of walls and floors, wheel wells etc need to be designed so the use of caulking is the last defence and not the primary solution. For example, the wheel well of your car is enveloped with a liner that deflects water before it gets to the steel body elements above, which are joined either by welding or with a sealant between surfaces. Your windows in your house are protected from water ingress around their perimeter is first protected by flashings - the caulking is secondary and for a visual cleanup.
    So it seems to me that NuCamp needs more in-depth engineering of these areas. In the meantime follow these maintenance directives. Ciao.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • RCBRCB Member Posts: 190
    I want to add, that on my 2019 - 400, there is a plastic wheel well liner. However it’s design is such that it depends on caulking at the bottom of the liner and intersection with adjacent elements. 
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON